Mini's And Bikes

Gandalf the Yellow

right i know i lot of you guys own a car, and because everyone's lazy they stick their bikes into their boot/backseats to save time and energy riding from A to B.

thinking of being 1 of these lazy people myself i want to invest on a car... but here comes the trouble....

nothing is really my cup of tea at the moment, new cars are expensive, and lets face it, old cars are crap.

only real thing that actually makes me want to drive is rover mini, now i think everyone would agree the fact that its probably 1 of the best 'old' cars you can ever own, its just a pure pimp machine.......

any mini owners out there that already know how to stick their bikes in the car?... as far as im aware....they're tiny little things and seat don't fold down.... :unsure:

or are there good alternatives which i missed and should be looking into?... i basically want a car that fits my bike... (stock)... and around under £2000 budget....

rock n roll mini's. :badger:

steve

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Talking to someone who has a mini and they said he took out the passenger seat put two jump bikes in and made the other person sit in the back seat. But i think he might have buckets.

provided the seats tolt forwards at all, you can quite happily fit two complete stock bikes on the back seat of a mini :) ive done it many times!

you take off both wheels, and the bar n stem, and two stocks will fit in side by side, with two wheels upright at the front, the bars on the parcel shelf, and two wheels horizontally ontop of the whole lot!

if its just one bike, then the bar n stem can be left on :)

2000quid should see you a prtty sexy mini! if your just wanting it as a fun little car, and dont plan on excessive modifiying in the future, try and go with an SPI, mid 90's 1.3 injection mini, or cooper. the coopers are a bit nicer, nicer seats, alloy wheels, blah blah blah..... £2000 should see you a really nice and solid SPI on a reasonable mileage. and if u look after it properly itll be nippy and fun to drive, return 40mph, and look awesome!

they also hold their value amazingly! mini prices are currently RISING"! your your garanteed a bargin if u buy one now :)

you can also fit a roof rack on cheap enough, a full roof rack with two bike carriers will set you back well under £100, or any hatchback/saloon style boot rack will just drop on no problem due to the mini having a roof gutter :)

thats two bikes on the back seat with both front seats still in place, and two people happily sitting in the front with no compromise of leg room :)

Steve I wouldn't get a mini if I were you. If you were looking for a car to just get you around in then it would be fine, but knowing that you ride trials then you will want to put your bike in the car at some point.

And the bike just isn't going to fit in a mini. Atleast not without removing front and rear wheels.

Save you self the hassle and get something that is practical and a bit more modern. I mean the last thing you wana be doing on a cold winters night after a long ride is striping your bike down and trying to cram it into a fecking mini! :P

If you have a budget of £2000 max then thats more than enough to get a cheap run around. Something along the lines of 106, saxo, Fiesta :- or something like that would be a better bet I would say.

Good luck anyway :D

Steve I wouldn't get a mini if I were you. If you were looking for a car to just get you around in then it would be fine, but knowing that you ride trials then you will want to put your bike in the car at some point.

And the bike just isn't going to fit in a mini. Atleast not without removing front and rear wheels.

Save you self the hassle and get something that is practical and a bit more modern. I mean the last thing you wana be doing on a cold winters night after a long ride is striping your bike down and trying to cram it into a fecking mini! :P

If you have a budget of £2000 max then thats more than enough to get a cheap run around. Something along the lines of 106, saxo, Fiesta :- or something like that would be a better bet I would say.

Good luck anyway :D

or spend £1900 on a mint mini, and not some nasty shitty cheap run around ford or french thing,:) and spend the extra £100 on a roof rack with bike carriers......

roof rack goes on in less than 2 mins, u can leave it on, takes about a minute to load the bike up, and doesnt stop u putting stuff in the back of the car!

the guy clearly says that nothing really interests him other than the mini! and i can see why.... all other cars are just shit in comparision..... :P sure, they may be very good cars, but minis are just more fun!

bikes and minis are not a problem!(Y)

or spend £1900 on a mint mini, and not some nasty shitty cheap run around ford or french thing,:) and spend the extra £100 on a roof rack with bike carriers......

roof rack goes on in less than 2 mins, u can leave it on, takes about a minute to load the bike up, and doesnt stop u putting stuff in the back of the car!

the guy clearly says that nothing really interests him other than the mini! and i can see why.... all other cars are just shit in comparision..... :P sure, they may be very good cars, but minis are just more fun!

bikes and minis are not a problem!(Y)

Steve would need to put his bike in the car every time he rides, so a mini even with a roof rack would still be impractical compared to a car like a fiesta where you can just fold the seats down, remove front wheel from bike and then chuck it in the back!

And yes I am well aware thats french's cars and the likes of are mostly shit but its not like mini's are the height of luxury and build quality either. :P

Jesus wept, Do you people seriously know so little about motorcars?

Shitty cheap ford or french thing

Why don't you try to behave more like your swayed by peer pressure and let other people dress you :- There are plenty of other, better cars out there that are as cheap, safer and faster. Sure a mini is cheap, there are loads of aftermarket mods for it, but that doesn't make the car good.... does it.

Oh and lets not forget the cost of repairing the damage to a mini. I've seen loads of lads have to scrap a mini they spent thousands on cos the toffee sub frame and chassis has bent.

Oh and you'll look proper gay trying to beat any grown up car. Either get a proper classic mini, one that looks smart, and looks like you intended to buy it, rather than win it in a game of poker. Or not bother.

well i dont think ive had too many problems beating grown up cars in my mini, its a 92 cooper s modded to produce 105bhp in a car which weighs 650kgs, quite happliy beats the boy racers in there 106's and saxo's.

i put a full length electric sunroof in it, take the wheels off the bike tilt the seat forwards and open the roof, drop the bike in. job done.

oh and i built a flat bed trailer out of the rear of a mini, sprayed and stickered the same as my car, made some mounting stands and it will carry two bikes fully built standing up.

french cars are ok, bit soft, but you cant compare until youve driven a decent mini and before any one asks ive had a saxo vtr and this cooper and the mini rules by a mile!

craig

Edited by curly_freak

Jesus wept, Do you people seriously know so little about motorcars?

Why don't you try to behave more like your swayed by peer pressure and let other people dress you :- There are plenty of other, better cars out there that are as cheap, safer and faster. Sure a mini is cheap, there are loads of aftermarket mods for it, but that doesn't make the car good.... does it.

Oh and lets not forget the cost of repairing the damage to a mini. I've seen loads of lads have to scrap a mini they spent thousands on cos the toffee sub frame and chassis has bent.

Oh and you'll look proper gay trying to beat any grown up car. Either get a proper classic mini, one that looks smart, and looks like you intended to buy it, rather than win it in a game of poker. Or not bother.

sad to say i disagree with almost every single word you say.....

your clearly getting grumpy old man disease :P

i dont claim to know a lot about cars at all.... sure, i know a bit more than most..... but when it comes to minis, i know a lot.....

and i CERTAINLY dont look stupid AT ALL racing what you call grown up cars.......

i have NEVER had a single car keep up with me on my local roads, sure, ive not been followed by any super cars...... but ive been followed by all the typical hot hatches, golf/205 gti's, fast fords.... whatever....

the mini may not be the quickest in a straight line, but around and comming out of the bends, nothing will touch it!

my dads tried in his 200bhp E30 3 series.... and he couldnt keep with me, despite being a better driver, in a modified bmw thatll pass 140mph....

however.... i do TOTALLY agree with your comments on a classic mini, and doing it properly.

when i got mine, aged 17, i went for the widest wheels and the biggest most plastic, widest arches i could get my hands on!

2 years down the line ive totally gone off the wide boy beefy boy racer look! and swapped my 12's for a sexy set of 10's and some tiny slim gp2 arches.

should be on and fitted within a few weeks :)

haha- curley freak-saxo VTR, HAHAHAHA, dont make me laugh mate..... if your mini really is pushing out 105bhp it should eat vtr's for breakfast in reverse :S

around my local roads ive totally anihalated a saxo VTS, C2 VTS, 206 gti180, fezza Zetec S.... etc etc, the list goes on!

my car is milding famous amoung the young people where i live, as they all plan to get faster cars and beat me on the roads from millbrook to plymouth.....

currently nobody has

yeah it does blow the saxo away, tis great, 1380 rebore with a stage 3 head, set of standard cooper alloys with w+p arches. looks like a normal cooper. i love it. mini's rule, ive had it for 2 years and i cant see me changing it for a while yet.

once youve had one there in your blood and it wont be your last. just get a really tidy clean mini, style i subtly and mod the engine how you wish, if you do you'll love the look on a boyracers face in you rear view mirror!!

One of my mates had a Morris Minor Travveler.

Was alright, we got 3 bikes and 3 people in it alright, front and rear wheel, bar and stems out mind, but was alright.

And that was a stock, 24", and a mod.

Was pretty handy for getting a years no claims on it too.

Wasn't fast enough to get in an accident really :P

Now he's in a 1.9 turbo Diesel 306.

Nice.

you can do anything if you try hard enough! just put the bikes on the back or on the roof, a mini is an amazing car to own.

Ive been driving around in my dads 205 till my mini is done, and while its arguably 'modern' 'safe' and 'practical' i hate driving it, i mean yeah its great ive got a car and im thankful for that, but its boring, understeers like a pig on an icerink, and goes wrong more than a lot of minis do (although i think that’s because its my dads). even with the seats down it can be a struggle to get 2 bikes in, i prefer external mounting. not to mention due to the crap handling its less safe in the fact that your more likely to loose control yourself (i really trust minis, they are VERY predictable) plus my mini is actually newer than it lol.