New Member In Dubai

duane

Hi,

I am attempting to learn to ride trials, but I am probably too old, too heavy and too far away from any other riders.

There is certainly no potential for natural riding here in Dubai, so I am stuck with concrete which is bloody dangerous with my lack of skill. On the upside I got a genuine thumbs up and round of applause from some guys that had never seen a bike pivot off a 4 inch curb before, I may just be the greatest trials rider in Dubai right now. Thats unless there is someone here that can bunny hop higher than a coke can.

My bike is a completely stock Scott Aspen, basically your bog standard MTB with front suspension, I would be interested to hear from anyone that has started out on an MTB are suspension forks a huge hindrance or just a convenient excuse for lack of ability, its a real hassle to order forks from the UK so any advice would be much appreciated,

Regards

Duane.

Edited by duane

If you have a bike and a passion for trials, you can do anything. Whether you live in Dubai or the trials capital of the world, you can, and will learn.

I was riding on my own for a good year, and i still loved it. No doubt you'll find more riders, and if i recall correctly, i do actually believe there is others in Dubai.

Age also isn't an issue. I know riders that are in there late 20's are just starting, and riders in early/late 30's are still going strong after years of riding.

sorry to be rude, but how old actually are you? beside it's not really to do with age, more like fitness, i know 14 year olds that can't even run 100m without slowing down (they may be fat but it's beside the point :- ) and there's like 40 year olds who are really fit, the other day i saw a polce man about 37-40 get out of his car and run like mad. (i don't know why i he was on his radio, and running.) the only thing i can really say is get your mits on a bike (Mod or Stock whichever takes your fancy) maybe try both out if there's any biker near you like Simon says. and see what you think, give it a couple of months, and if the worst come to the worst, you can always sell it. I'm selling a cheap Mod if your interest, don't talk on here cos it's not allowed in the member's thread.

Sorry mods! :((A):-

Mike!!!

I'll add you to MSN or you add me!

Hi,

'Guys as old as late twenties just starting out', Im soon to be 33, mind you I had a magnesium injection moulded kirk revolution MTB famously made from a cubic meter of sea water at a time when people thought that was a good idea. You only had to look at it to snap the frame, theres a very short article and a picture of the road version on this page http://www.centennial.hydro.com/cgi-bin/ww...rget_inter.html

Dubai gets very dusty whenever the wind gets up, over time the dust tends to polish most surfaces so there is a complete lack of grip, even with a track stand the front wheel can start to creep away.

Back to my Suspension question, I know that a rigid fork is obviously better suited to trials than front suspension, but are suspension forks a complete disaster or can most people master most moves with them ?

Regards

Duane.

Hey welcome aboard and dont let age bother you. I'm right up there myself so I know it can be done. Practice and patience. It doesnt really matter what bike you're on to get going. A reliable drive train will make you feel safer however. Maintenance could be an issue in Dubai :) Ryan Leech is a known trials rider who uses front suspension (and a proper seat). Whatever floats your boat really. If the fork is adjustable i'd probably slow down the compression and rebound or have it travel limited.

What you doin in Dubai?

Welcome, and good to hear trials is appealing to people of all ages :)

As for tiders in Dubai, i believe the member who goes by the name of Mr Tweek is from dubai, might be worth giving him a shout, over PM.

As for trials, so long as your enjoying what you do it doesn't matter!! Thats the beauty, most people can't do anything remotely like a trials rider and it's always a great feeling to see people impressed with what you can do.

Welcome, and good to hear trials is appealing to people of all ages :)

As for tiders in Dubai, i believe the member who goes by the name of Mr Tweek is from dubai, might be worth giving him a shout, over PM.

As for trials, so long as your enjoying what you do it doesn't matter!! Thats the beauty, most people can't do anything remotely like a trials rider and it's always a great feeling to see people impressed with what you can do.

Yay, someone remembered!!

Abu Dhabi but oh well...

Thank GOD there's someone else now...Not as close as hoped, but still...close enough....

To keep it relevant...I wouldn't say that having front suspension set ups really hinders beginngers....I started on a full sus bike all those years ago!

I'll send you a PM nice and quick snapp!

Edited by Mr_Tweek

Was it dusty though? ;)

It's not really dusty, depends if there a storn in the desert really....all the shit get's blown into town!...It's still prety chilly actually...it was about 19 celcius this everning i was freezing my arse off outside...

Try and keep to the topic lads.....Going off on a bit of a tangeant here (Y)

Hi,

I am attempting to learn to ride trials, but I am probably too old, too heavy and too far away from any other riders.

There is certainly no potential for natural riding here in Dubai, so I am stuck with concrete which is bloody dangerous with my lack of skill. On the upside I got a genuine thumbs up and round of applause from some guys that had never seen a bike pivot off a 4 inch curb before, I may just be the greatest trials rider in Dubai right now. Thats unless there is someone here that can bunny hop higher than a coke can.

My bike is a completely stock Scott Aspen, basically your bog standard MTB with front suspension, I would be interested to hear from anyone that has started out on an MTB are suspension forks a huge hindrance or just a convenient excuse for lack of ability, its a real hassle to order forks from the UK so any advice would be much appreciated,

Regards

Duane.

Sorry to go off on a tangent! Its just i like dust :P

To be serious.

If you have just started learning, i would say that all you need to do is, Put your sadlle down and get a bash guard (Y) Dont worry about the forks yet. Look at Ryan Leech!

Dave

Have Fun

Dubai's real good, iv been on holiday there once before. Is it summer over there now?

Stop asking random things about Dubai!!! Haha..If you really want then start a topic in Chit-Chat or soetmhing, it's jsut filling the thread with silly! Supppose me saying this is just as bad....

It's Christmas over here...Just like over there..

Stop asking random things about Dubai!!! Haha..If you really want then start a topic in Chit-Chat or soetmhing, it's jsut filling the thread with silly! Supppose me saying this is just as bad....

It's Christmas over here...Just like over there..

I don't see why people can't ask him questions about Dubai - Gives him a chance to speak and make friends with some people on here etc. :S

Hi,

As the topic title includes the word 'Dubai' and no reference to suspension or rigid forks I don't see any harm in a few Dubai questions.

At the risk of getting the thread moved heres a quick overview of Dubai and why I am here-

I moved here 6 months ago transferring my job from London to Dubai, because its tax free over here your take home pay nearly doubles. The seasons are the same as the UK, we are both in the northern hemisphere, however being much closer to the equator and having only a shallow sea Dubai rarely gets colder that 19 degrees and even in December 29 degrees is common enough. In the summer it gets as hot as 50 degrees with upto 80% humidity which makes the air just about unbreathable. So in the summer when you see cheap holidays advertised for some of the stunning 5 star plus hotels in Dubai, remember the heat and humidity and go stay in a B&B in West Wales instead.

If you ever get a chance to come between October and May, make sure you do, its getting better every week, the latest addition is a shopping mall with a 400 meter real snow ski slope sticking out the side - http://www.skidubai.ae/gallery1_eng.htm?mid=1&sidehop=4

During the winter Dubia is great with three or four events on every weekend, as an example, in December in one weekend we had the X-Games, The World Off Shore Power Boat Championship and the A1 Grand Prix, its a hell of a lot going on for a place not much bigger than Croydon.

Why is an old git like me trying to ride trials ? well about 2 years ago I saw some riders in Tenby west wales doing tricks on funny looking mountain bikes, then a few months later I saw more of the same in southend and got to thinking I wouldn't mind having a go at that, so here I am,

Finally yes its dusty, about once a month we have a sand storm, you first notice the sky turning black in the distance, next out of nowhere the wind starts to rage, this is when you run into the nearest shop because next comes a wall of dust thick enough turn midday to darkness, visibility can be as low as ten feet.

I am off to have a go at unlearning my old cross country bunny hop and learning the proper way to do it,

Duane.

Edited by duane