Stripping/polishing Of Parts

i like cunning stunts

hey there,

this is my guide to stripping and polishing all alliminium parts, i have chosen to polish a toxsin frame one to demonstrate this process to you so lets get to it.

firstly you are going to need

metal paint stripper

IPB Image

a good drill with a polishing mop (large)

IPB Image

wire wool

IPB Image

a rotary tool with a brass wire attachment or a brass wire brush

IPB Image

metal polish (we use autosol)

IPB Image

and finally protective goggles

IPB Image

Stripping the frame

ok now you have all the correct equipment, you need to apply the paint stripper to the frame useing a old paint brush (following the manufactures guide) doing small parts at a time.

take away the paint with the wire wool and a old yet clean rag.

IPB Image

once you have got all the paint you can possibly get off the part you need to use the rotary tool/ wire brush to get the paint off the welds (be very carefull)

IPB Image

once the paint is all off the frame you need to sand down all minor scratches and marks with 2000 profile sand/glass paper then give the frame one last check over for any visable paint.

Polishing the frame

using your autosol/polish apply it in very small amounts and then use the drill with the polishing mop till you get the desired effect you want. (the longer you spend the better)

IPB Image

wipe off the excess polish and finally give the part a good clean with a 100% cotton cloth

IPB Image

What you can achieve

this is what you can achieve if you spend enough time and effort on your parts

before

IPB Image

and after

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

(Y) good luck

if you have have any problems contact me on ride4beer@hotmail.co.uk

if you feel you are unable or dont have the time to do this contact me and we can come to some agreement.

Jake

Yo, we share names (Y)

I stripped my white magura's the other day, cylinder's and lever's with nitromors and have just finished them using differant grade's of wire wool a bit of that fine sand paper you mention would go down a treat im sure but I havn't got any about ATM. I'd definately recommend this to someone wanting to breate a bit of life into an old frame/component.

Sweet guide Jake ! You are the man and thanks for the in-depth guide!

Top marks brother (Y)(Y)

In my excitment I forgot to ask how hard the back end of a T-rex would be to strip? A little voice keeps saying "leave it, it's polished anyway, just do the front" (N)

And do the headset cups have to come out?

Edited by Concussion

Top marks brother (Y)(Y)

In my excitment I forgot to ask how hard the back end of a T-rex would be to strip? A little voice keeps saying "leave it, it's polished anyway, just do the front" (N)

if you just wanted to have the whole frame polished the best bet would be to strip the lot to remove any laquer then it should be all the same underneath then proceed with your polish and buffing, if you wanted someone else to do it so you dont have to buy anything get in contact with me at paulytrials@gmail.com or jake on ride4beer@hotmail.com and we shal sort summit out

Pauly

Is this effect possible to achieve on a 4130 steel frame? I've tried it with an old BMX frame of mine, by hand rubbing the autosol in, I have no drill with mop attached to it! The problem is the finish was no where near as mirror like as that Toxsin frame :mellow:

Hmm, may try again sometime, but this time lacquer it afterwards to stop it rusting :P

Thats one good guide and i may now have to do that on my bike.

But how much nitromors did you use when you stripped you frame and how much would i need to buy to polish a whole bike ( frame,forks,rims,cranks(if it possible), bars and stem etc)

sam

Sweet as dude, you've a job coming your way mate a si can;t be bothered to strip my new frame when it comes in!!!

very sorry about the dealy, please feel free to contact me on,

ride4beer@hotmail.co.uk (Y) JAKE ANSELL

Top marks brother (Y)(Y)

ye mate, the rear end is already polished nice, but strip the laquer off fully then polish the whole thing alll over, if you feel you dont want to or just dont have the time, please feel free to contact me on ride4beer@hotmail.co.uk .. thaks JAKE ANSELL,(the polisher)

(Y)

did you laquer the frame after you polished it? my zona has come up well nice but my laquering is abit dodgey lol

no mate i just polished it, the clear laquer is a bit dodgey, you really need a prosional to do that, my spraying is good but, is easier and cheaper, just to polish it and re-new the polish every couple of weeks depending on the condition,,, but if you feel you want your frame polished, feel free to contact me on

ride4beer@hotmail.co.uk

thanks jake,

(Y)

Is this effect possible to achieve on a 4130 steel frame? I've tried it with an old BMX frame of mine, by hand rubbing the autosol in, I have no drill with mop attached to it! The problem is the finish was no where near as mirror like as that Toxsin frame :mellow:

Hmm, may try again sometime, but this time lacquer it afterwards to stop it rusting :P

steel is a very different metal, i am afraid this effect would have to be cromed to get it..., if it was an alloy frame it would be a very differnt effect,

if you ever hve an alloy part orframe , feel free to contat me on ride4beer@hotmail.co.uk

JAKE ANSELL

i anyone has any problems or queries, please feel free to contact me, i also polish frames and parts so if you cant be botherd, or do not have the time ,please contact me on ride4beer@hotmail.co.uk..

thanks jake ansell,(JP POLISHING) (Y)

Useful , well presented guide which certainly deserves addition to the F.A.Q section . However , Jake 1516 ...

... I stripped my white magura's the other day ...

:o ...Noooo , whites are the best lookin' Maguras ( in my opinion .) Were they scratched or something ?

So if i strp the laquer off then polish it with that stuff it will be ok in the long term.

yes i do beleive so, i have polished the rear swinging-arm on my kona stinky, and not clear laquered it, and its good still, not amazing, but what i do is every 1-2 weeks i just give it a quick, blast over with a bit of autosol(polish) then it looks great again,

hope that helped you out mate,

jake ansell. (Y)

Edited by Jake-Ansell