Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

thinking about joining the vdub club pretty soon, seen some really nice caddys of late and think i could make one on the cheap. at the moment its just a pipe dream, but atm im paying off me debts by about £350 a month, and saving £500 + a month(this month ive payed £350 off my debts, saved £500, and still have about £600 left after spending £200 + on clothes, and its almost halfway through the month) meaning if i get the audi, and then continue to pay me debts off + save, by february ill be debt free and have a couple of k saved up (not to mention i just totally forgot ill have the bmw for sale soon, which should see me at least £1000)

so plan is,

caddy.

some sort of golf gti engine, although unsure really thinking a 1.8 16v'er would be good (although wondering how much work it would be to shoehorn a

vr6 in there out of a scrapper/wrote off car(buy it and break it)

flipped + welded rear axle

lower the front down on coilovers

some small 15" ronals, or some deep dish euro affair, or possibly 15" chromes(as much as i hate chromes, it does look good on the right caddy)

wood decked rear(saw it in this months golf + the other day, looked the nuts)

then some white or white/black or silver/black imitation leather or imitation suede/imitation leather buckets. retrim the doorcards to match. rub down fill and smooth the dash and spray it white. stick a racing wheel in there, new automotive carpet in there.

bodywork wise, just make it smooth, colour coded, maybe copy oli and whack some audi handles on there(if i go for chrome wheels, obviously ill get chrome handles) or some other handle transplant.

and a pair of thesemaltese cross mirros.

then paint it all up, dependant on budget, going either for some home made matte/satin job(most likely a dark red), or a dark blue painted job(similar to the beemer, but darker) or possibly a vinyl wrap.

as i say its only a pipe dream, but paint and rear decking excluding, it should be able to be done for sub £2500 (£1000 on the vehicle, £500 at most on the wheels, £200 ish on suspension(although ill most likely just trawl ebay for some front coilovers from a rear ended golf/go lookin at scrappies for the same)£350 on the interior(buckets will only be a £200 reclining ebay jobbie)say £350 on bodywork, and then £300 left to cover any other bits . but ive massively overestimated the cost of everything(As the chances of me spending £500 on wheels are none existant,some vinyl, some fibreglass, and some filler/interior paint paint and a bit of carpet are gunna cost closer to £70 than £150) and bodywork will be like on the bmw, all done by me, so its cost of fibreglass and filler, and whatever handles/replacement panels etc i need to stick on there) and i doubt ill be paying 1k for the vehicle if im gunna be doing welding to it, i might as well buy summit with panel damage/rusted panels)

just need a project to stop me wrecking the new car, whatever it may be(a3/signum)

This happened to me at the weekend. I saw two gourgous caddys at the trails. One pretty much standard with BBS alloys and one dropped on coilovers with I think some kind of Ronals. Looked lovely and would stop me trashing the Rallye with muddy downhill bikes. Can't be much to insure and being VW should run forever!

Right, so it looks like a 2ltr bottom end with some kind of forced induction is the best bet then? By the way, whats the difference between k-jetronic and digifant? And also how much would S2 pistons cost?

Im thinking 16v 2ltr, cams, S2 pistons, a decent exhaust and some description of forced induction? Then obviously brakes and suspension, as well as replacing engine mounts while its out. Is 9a the engine code? And isnt it from an audi itself?

EDIT: would a turbo be too brash? and also whats an ABF? and are there any cheap LSDs that you can get for golfs?

Anyone?

And also, has anybody ever done a caddy with a rallye front end?

That would be sooooooo nice.... ^_^

Anyone?

And also, has anybody ever done a caddy with a rallye front end?

That would be sooooooo nice.... ^_^

caddy = mk1 front

rallye =mk2 front

therefore, its very hard and need lots of mods, so is very uncommon. rallye fronts have been put on mk1s though.

almost a waste now though, as rallye fronts are getting pretty rare (up to £400 for a good one! rediculous!)

Hence why im upgrading freddo.

Youve been out in my golf though, and you know its surprising for what it is! Im just bored now! and fed up of having to drop to 4th to overtake on the motorway.

My engine would certainly be a world apart from a standard 1.3.

Photo00082.jpg

you may do, but Id rather walk than drive a french car freddo!

Que prawn: "20v pwn all your 16v n00000000bz. Nigggga."

Exactly!

if its a valve war you want boys, its 5 per cylinder for the win!

2 cam profiles pwn you n00bz. :lol:

You may have two cam profiles, but neither of them give you any more torque than my microwave!

in a modern car, anything below 200lbft is simply painful!

I still say I've got the best of both worlds though, a high revving properly british home built all out track car, and a luxury 240bhp/260lbft 40mpg dai ly driver!

then again, I would think that!

you may do, but Id rather walk than drive a french car freddo!

Exactly!

if its a valve war you want boys, its 5 per cylinder for the win!

You may have two cam profiles, but neither of them give you any more torque than my microwave!

in a modern car, anything below 200lbft is simply painful!

I still say I've got the best of both worlds though, a high revving properly british home built all out track car, and a luxury 240bhp/260lbft 40mpg dai ly driver!

then again, I would think that!

40mpg, explain how nick??

Haha love it, Nick you managed to abuse everyone in a single post! I happen to quite like my french crisp packet giggle machine. Any way enough spamming..... Errrrr I like Volkswagens

oh dont get me wrong, 106's are amazing to drive, and If i didnt have the mini I would look at a gti or S1 rallye as a track car! but if i had one as a dailly, I would soon loose my job, as I could never be sure I would actually make it to work 5 days a week!

40mpg, explain how nick??

the miracles of a closed loop system using a recirculating DV.

If i drive normally, i see around 36-37mpg on my dailly drive to work. on a long motorway run i can see 40mpg easily enough.

around town, I still see around 32mpg no trouble really.

Even thrashing it for a few hundred miles, it hasnt dropped below 30mpg in months.

its VERY efficient

oh dont get me wrong, 106's are amazing to drive, and If i didnt have the mini I would look at a gti or S1 rallye as a track car! but if i had one as a dailly, I would soon loose my job, as I could never be sure I would actually make it to work 5 days a week!

the miracles of a closed loop system using a recirculating DV.

If i drive normally, i see around 36-37mpg on my dailly drive to work. on a long motorway run i can see 40mpg easily enough.

around town, I still see around 32mpg no trouble really.

Even thrashing it for a few hundred miles, it hasnt dropped below 30mpg in months.

its VERY efficient

Believe him hes not kidding! it hurts to think his fecking turbo monster uses the same amount of fuel as my 1.6 mk2!

I don't need torque to out handle twice as powerful cars. ;)

Also, in comparison with other cars, the torque is on par, so i don't really see the problem, there was a massive discussion about this somewhere but i won't go into it in the VW thread. :

You wish oily bear!

You know very well mine uses less fuel than yours, and puts out well over twice the power and twice the torque :)

modern VAG engines rock

Im getting good and economy driving my motor with all my pizza delivery :P if im delivering, i NEVER use the 2nd choke on the carb, and never go above 3.5k. try not to use the brakes either, all about slow and smooth.

mine still drinks like a fish if i give it the beans though! probably used as much fuel giving it a blast along my new favourite country road on the way home at the weekend, than i did on the whole evenigns pizza delivery.

Motorway driving is cool too. i have seen up to 45 mpg if im careful

Sorry simon, but i would bet £50 that nicks audi would beat yours on a track, even if it had the same power! I COULD NOT believe how well it cornered now hes fitted his ARBs. I had a sore neck, and i actually had to hold my head round a roundabout as it hurt so much!

Is that a challenge Diet? Who thinks we should actually organise a trials forum track day? its been mentioned so many times now, why not set a date? Say castle combe spring action day? its open to all cars.....

Or donnington in the new year? £99 open pit lane....

Caleb, what are you asking about the TT?

I wont make bets, but i can 100% guaranty it'll surprise you. :)

Would love a track day, i'm doing a few with Honda's On Track next year, but i won't be going near a track until my car is properly sorted and setup, which is a few months yet, hoping to start tracking around March - April time.

Who thinks we should actually organise a trials forum track day? its been mentioned so many times now, why not set a date? Say castle combe spring action day? its open to all cars.....

Or donnington in the new year? £99 open pit lane....

YES! we NEED this!

And i will need to get my arse in gear and get a light flywheel, and some eibach ARBs for golfy! 16v on bike carbs, here we come!