Spokes That Are Have Different Shape?

merseytrial

Does any one know where I can get some spokes like the type at the left of the picture? Its for a proto hub. Ill show you more as soon as I can.

IPB Image

Thanks dudes :)(Y)

adam

note on the left rather :P cheers dan :P

Edited by shop@merseytrial

they're alot stronger than normal spokes because they dont have a place for stress to build up.

It'd put more force on the crown of the spoke instead I suppose? Also, unless the hub was super well made, it'd be pulled at a shady angle when it was laced into a wheel. With standard spokes, 'cos they're being rotated on a round surface (if you see what I mean? The spoke is being rotated, but will always have the same amount touching the hub), it means that it still distributes the force OK, but when those spokes are at an angle, they'd just be putting loads more force on one side, unless they don't actually look like that one in the pics...

I'd imagine they'd be pretty tech to build though, 'cos it'd be awkward getting the spoke to tension, not just spin with the nipple? That happens with regular spokes anyway, which are anchored more, so it'd be somewhat of a whore to build I'd have thought :S

Probably wrong though...

In the opposite sense to Marks observation they have a tendency to unscrew themselves, with all the tense and flex that happens as the wheel rotates.

I experienced that with road wheels, though.

Maybe you'd do better with smaller wheels, although I can't see why.

See if you can find anyone that uses straight spokes for an opinion? If they exist, that is.

Edited by BikeDotStuffAtOnzaDotCom

I have straight pull spokes on a selection of Mavic wheels and the only problem I've had has been a spoke coming loose once on a CrossMax XL. But the spokes on that are chunkier than on any other bike wheel I've seen and don't touch each other where they cross (at least I'm pretty sure they don't) which wouldn't help them stay tight. My old regular CrossMax trials wheel which has more conventionally sized straight pull spokes is as true now as it was when I got it.

In theory straight pull ought to be stronger than regular spokes, but the reality (at least in my experience) is it doesn't really matter since normal spokes are strong enough in all but exceptional situations like crazy drops and big crashes.

Anyway... straight pull spokes are available as a custom order from Sapim.