Useing Water In Maguras!

DAB

Just to let you no if you use, or are thinking of useing water in you maguras i would strongly suggest you don't!!!!!!!!! (N)

i have just cleaned out the 9th set of maguras on customers bikes that have use water :angry:

What happens is that the air in the water rots the seals and if you use deinonised water it does the same because the ph balance acts like acid!!!!!!! magura blood is designed to lube the system, thats why it's in there.....

it also voids the warranty..... the pro's can afford to do it cos they get them for free.. so think before you do it and don't say i did'nt tell.........

IT'S NOT AN OPINION!!! THIS IS FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to let you no if you use, or are thinking of useing water in you maguras i would strongly suggest you don't!!!!!!!!! (N)

i have just cleaned out the 9th set of maguras on customers bikes that have use water :angry:

What happens is that the air in the water rots the seals and if you use deinonised water it does the same because the ph balance acts like acid!!!!!!! magura blood is designed to lube the system, thats why it's in there.....

it also voids the warranty..... the pro's can afford to do it cos they get them for free.. so think before you do it and don't say i did'nt tell.........

Are you saying the oxygen in water or trapped air? If its trapped air then a good bleed would be ok? If you're talking chemically oxygen then I dont understand how this can rot seals. The ph of deionised water is pretty close to 7 which is about as neutral as you can get.

You're saying royal blood lubes the system and thats fair enough but what has that got to do with rotting seals?

Shut up waters fine u bogus

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever...

...ever, ever, ever had a problem with water. Been running water for over a year now, and I've also been running a super strong antifreeze/water mix now for a month or 2 with no problems.

Just to clarify, by "rot the seals", do you just meant it leaked? Equally, it shouldn't do that even with a shit bleed? Ah well, c'est la vie...

I can't quite see how it 'rots' the seals, it may degrade them quicker, ie they age faster and crack- this is especially likely if the system freezes.

However neutral water is, and how resiliant ali is, aluminium DOES corrode, allbeit slowly, and usually forms a protective layer of oxide. Oil in the system helps stop the allow corroding in frictional places, ie pistons. while the effect is very small, it is there.

Oil is overall better for the brake. It holds floating particles better- last time i bled an old maggie, the fluid was nearly black with fine aluminuim particles generated by the friction from the pistons, as it has to be a good seal. The oil helps keep this from 'scratching' the inside of the brake- imagine a car engine running with water as oil instead.

Again, if you bleed regularly this is not a problem.

As far as a shops point of view it is a big pain, as it voids any warranty, and creates more work and hassle.

Yes, water feels good in the brake, and if you don't mind loosing your warranty, and loosing a few years off the life of your brake (maggies last for a LONG time before they wear out, unless they break first!) then go for it. make sure you bleed regularly, and use plenty of antifreeze (this in itself helps restore some of the properties of the oil, its anticorrosive for a start).

Other wise, i would reccomend using a good thin mineral oil. i use 2.5wt shock oil, and its great. thicker than water, but thinner than maggie blood (about 5wt) so still feels very positive.

Hi.

Maybe whats happening to your brake is that the water is freezing and expanding therefor breaking the seals.

Just a thought your probably right as well because water is slightly alkali and de-icier is very acidic.

Thanks from Stuart. (Y)

Who gives a shit by the time the warter has fooked the seals up everything else most liky be fooked i have used warter for ages and it's better but in winter i just use maggie blood.

Oh and i aint giving you shit btw before you take it the wrong way i'm just saying no1 really gives a shit bout it.

Edited by hinchcblob

I prefer water because the brake bounces back quicker and is not NEARLY as spongey as with magura oil, ok it will freeze over in the winter but thats where you have half water,half de-icer. Works better than magura oil on ALL the brakes i have ever tried

Hi.

Maybe whats happening to your brake is that the water is freezing and expanding therefor breaking the seals.

Just a thought your probably right as well because water is slightly alkali and de-icier is very acidic.

Thanks from Stuart. (Y)

When the water inside the maggy freezes it just pushes out the pistons so they go closer to your rim. No harm done really.

The only way the water will rot the seals on a maggie is if you do a really shite bleed and you have air in the system, water only does damage if air is in the system.

Yes there is a certain amount of oxygen trapped in water ( as it is 1 third oxygen ) but that isnt enough to rot seals, as proved by the majority of people using water in the magura and a tiny minority of these people having a problem with it.

sam

When the water inside the maggy freezes it just pushes out the pistons so they go closer to your rim. No harm done really.

This is not true because say the water freezes right next to the piston then all the water between the piston and the lever is trapped so therefore if that freezes as well then it would have to push the pipe out thus spliting it. SO :P:P:P

HTT 4 Life