Does Anyone Use Tar?

joe parker

I like tar because I don't have a grinder and I like rims that havent been raped by powertools.

I like tar because it makes my plazmatics go HONK!!

I like tar because it will make almost any brake setup work properly (for a limited period)

but....

I don't like tar because it's not good in the wet

I don't like tar because it can stick your pads to your rim - this is not a good thing, particularly if gapping or dropping off stuff.

I don't like tar because it makes your pads and rims all shitty so they don't work properly without tar (unless you clean everything)

I like tar because I don't have a grinder and I like rims that havent been raped by powertools.

I like tar because it makes my plazmatics go HONK!!

I like tar because it will make almost any brake setup work properly (for a limited period)

but....

I don't like tar because it's not good in the wet

I don't like tar because it can stick your pads to your rim - this is not a good thing, particularly if gapping or dropping off stuff.

I don't like tar because it makes your pads and rims all shitty so they don't work properly without tar (unless you clean everything)

(Y) ......for the first few minutes using tar it's really annoying, and sometimes it sticks and makes a crappy noise.

Ben

You should talk to a kid met down the the beach once who stop using tar after his brake stuck on when he went for a gap and landed face first in the hole >_< He has new front teeth now :D and has never used tar again!!!!!

Get some good pads and you won't need tar :) grind or no grind!!!! and learn to use the chain to brake, it helps when your in the sh#t....

zoo pads and a smige of tar and you will never go bak and your rims last for years (Y) at the moment i have zoo pads on a almost smooth rim and it works better that plaz and coust (Y)

Yeah, i fully agree with that.

Zoo pads with tar is the best brake i'v felt/had.

WTF is tar?

It's black sticky stuff you put on your rims to make your braking better. (Y)

I have a harsh grind on the rear (it's eating my koolstop reds hehe) and my front has a bit of tar, mainly cos the sound turns me on and pisses people off! for whoever it ws who asked what tar is, it's a waste product type thing i think they get it out of oil! and it's sticky as fook and makes your rims go HONK! little tip for putting tar on your rims, tar up your rim but be realy generous find a big hill ( i mean big) and go down it with the brake scraping at the rim, just to slow you a little bit, it melts the tar and makes a realy thin layer on the rim that doesn't hold your pad back but still gives a good grip! never use tar on the rear though!

HEY Ogre, why do you say never use tar on the rear. its amazing stuff.

as long as you dont cover your rim in tar its fine to use on the rear. i usually put a line of tar on the rim every other spoke. its just so that you can pedal kick without the tar holding onto your pads and even throwing you over the bars.

i have also found that tar makes barely any difference when put on a rim with a grind.

yes tar its the best there is if you dont want to rape you rim with a grinder and if tar is applyed properly then its works a treat.

Cheers Thurston

Grinding your rim doesn't "rape" it, it works a lot better than tar and lasts longer.

I only use tar when my grind is worn (like now) but I prefer a grind.

Cheers David.

I have got some tar and it works well for a good length of time. (with monty short pads)

It is Also great for in atrial when your brakes slip and you muller your face on a rock!!!!!!!!!!!

So i carry some in my bag and use it after about 3 sections.

my advice is you use the bad ass stuff. it is worth it.

cheers ZAk A.K.A. ZOOF-TRIALS.