Things I Can Do To Make My Brakes As Good As They Can Get

earsy104

I was out on my bike today and my brakes just where not feeling it....they where all sketchy i have a front v brake an avid one and my rear is an 04 maggie...i have a pair of o5 maggie's on another bike that i may take of if its worth it what do you think?.... so yer what can i do to make my brakes as good as i can get them?

any help is very much appreciated....links will be good as well if needed.

:D

get a rear v get some crv or heatsink pads or any good ones and grind your rim . or stay with the magura bleed it with watter or wd40 or other stupp then get good pads and grind your rim . for the front get good pads and you night not need a grind but if you do then grind your front rim

As good as they can get? as in stoppability?

Well grind is the sensible option but for ultimate power get some koxx browns and apply the following to your rim

Tar

Superglue

Semen

and possibly some little animals to give that extra bite ;)

Well grind is the sensible option but for ultimate power get some koxx browns and apply the following to your rim

Tar

Superglue

Semen

Hahaha

Awesome.

Yep i agree, squirells work well

Tar

Superglue

Semen

hahahaha semen for all your trials needs does it cum in bottles or tubes :-:P

Edited by boris_on_trials

does it cum in bottles or tubes :-:P

hahaha :P

Yeah sorry I should point out that my humour there was completly sarcastic Tar and other such methods are DANGEROUS and should never really be used

although they work immensly...

Well this is what i did with my v-brakes.So you could try this on yours.

Right

1.I took the cable off and give it a good oiling all the way through to make it smooth and light when it was ready to go back on.

2.I took my pads off and left them in boiling hot water for 10 minutes rubbing them half way through to get all the grease and muck off them.

3.I took the actual brake off and oiled the stansions so they where free and smooth when they went back on.

4.I sprayed the rim with brake cleaner and gave it a good wipe off with a cloth.You should be able to get brake cleaner from most shops like halfords and stuff.

5.I made sure the pads where square on the rim.

6.I ajusted the brake so it had the right amount of play in it,like so it wasnt touching my fingers but had some feel to it.

7.Now just put it all back together and it should be lots better,well mine was anyway.

Hope this is clear and good luck.

hahaha :P

Yeah sorry I should point out that my humour there was completly sarcastic Tar and other such methods are DANGEROUS and should never really be used

although they work immensly...

semen gets shiny when it gets hot though - its like using mr sheen unless you constantly top it up with fresh stuff.

like someone else said - clean everything, then see how it works.

I don't hold with grinding rims but theres no doubt it stops you. Even if you don't, a set of plaz pads works great on a smooth rim - as long as it's clean and dry (especially dry) .

If you're proper lazy just use tar. It works and it saves you actually maintaining your brake, which is dull

i use tar it was a shock when i first aplied the break after sent me over the bars from just rolling up my dive had to get the sand papper out and take a bit off part from thats its good a break boster is always good and some nice soft pads i have no money for pads so i had to use tar.

Basicaly the following factors will affect your braking...

1. Your set up

2. Your pads

3. Rim treatment IE: grind, tar, hair spray ect

4. Frame flex

5. Your bleed

6. Rim condition

1. Your rim set up

You need to set your brake up well to get a good brake(duh) This means you need to set your pads so they hit square to the rim, They both hit the rim at the same time, Have the pads between 2-3mm away from the rim... the best way to do this is to this is to put somthing inbetween the rim and the pad when your setting up. Try and get these points perfect, dont use the tpa for setting up! and dont do the bolts up too tight!

2. Your pads

Your pads play a major part in your brakes performance. Your rims treatment will determine what pads you need... If your running a smooth rim(perhaps tar) you will need a soft pad. So far Zoo! pads are the fav.

If your running a grind your going to need a slightly harder pad, fav's at the moment are plaz crm's, koxx bloxx browns, Coust pads, but theres loads more to choose from.

3. Rim treatment

If your slipping or not getting the braking power you need try some of the following.

Grinding- A great way to get your brakes working, its widely used(for a reason) i cant fault it.

Tar- Does the job but dont put too much on or else your pads will stick to your rim, When the rain comes your brakes will not work at all so only for your dry weather riders.

Hair spray/monty bike spray- Same sort of result as tar, personaly i think tar is better.

4. Frame flex

Its important you have a good booster to combat frame flex. If you pull your lever and it feels spongey theres a chance your frame is flexing, Any good booster will fix this, they all do a good job so find one that fits your bike and one you like.

5. Your bleed

If your lever can be pulled and your pads are not moving then you have air in your system you require a rebleed. What you bleed the brakes with has a affect aswell.

People sware by water saying it gives a snappyer feeling, but personaly i dont rate it due to it freezing and needing bleeding a lot.

magura blood and similar mineral oils are the best choice i think as they lube up the system at the same time as feeling good. Remember NEVER use Dot brake fluids in yuor brake it will wreck the seals.

6. Your rim condition

Try cleaning your rim every week end or after a long ride with meths or brake cleaner you will be surprised at the shite that will come off. This is a must if your brake is poor. Dont forget to clean the pads aswell.

• 4 weeks later...