Rear Mech

flower

well basicly i cant run a cable in my rear mech any more due to the barral adjuster being smashed so iv moved the hi and low screws to there optimum place, but the chain line is still off a tad. Would a quick CHEAP and easy method to cut the main spring. Then it would float in its best position, or am i being stupid? help please.

Oh my god people.

You'll need:

1. A drill and a 5mm drill bit
  2. A bolt from somwhere like a stem, i think its an m5 threaded allen key bolt
  3. Allen key
  4. cross head screwdriver
And now you'll need to:
  1. Remove the high and low adjustment screws
  2. get the drill with drill bit inserted and drill plugged in
  3. Get the drill and start drilling a roughly straight hole through the adjustment screw hole nearest the mech hanger, i think its the low adjustment screw
  4. drill the hole out so its now a 5mm hole
  5. get the bolt and place it at the beginning of the hole
  6. insert allen key into head of bolt and begin to twist it in, this will cut a thread into your freshly drilled hole
  7. keep going at it till you see the bolt starting to make an effect as it pushes against the adjustment tab in the mech, it will slowly and surely allow you to choose where abouts you want the mech to sit.
  8. if neccessary ease the bolt out and lube it up a bit to ease the thread cutting, or get a friend to take over for a bit... be careful though the bolt might have gotten a tad bit warm.
Now you have a mech that can be accurately adjusted with a standard allen key no more chain skipping. Should look like the following attachment. This no means that the barrel adjuster tab is not needed so if you wanted to save weight/create a stronger landing point for misplaced sidehops you can angle grinder it off.

EDIT: Just realised though that this will be making your mech single speed only, i got confused when dave said use a spoke. If your intending to use gears then mr tomnewbold is entriely correct, drill it out and use the barrel adjuster on the shifter to adjust the chain line.

post-5186-1143074824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krisboats

easy as pie

take out your gear cable and discard the outer. thread the cable through the normal hole so the nipple of the cable goes where the barrel adjuster usually is.

tighten it up aligned in the correct gear and the mech will stay put.

:)

Edited by the boon

hey there,

if you manage to get the remains of the barrel adjuster out of the mech....fit another one, one off an old SIS mech are better because they are solid steel. (stronger)

Then...get a piece of cable inner, cut to about 1-2 inches and poke it through and set the trials gear(normally top one) so that when the adjuster is out at the most that seems safe.

YOU DONT HAVETO DO THIS IF U ONLY WANT ONE GEAR - in which case screw it in all the way.

by doing this you can change down a few gears, always good when u haveto get about from place to place.

hope this helps, ive never known anyone else to do it.

bought a mech off "gears" on here...and he'd done the big bolt in the adjuster screw thang..

works a treat though- i can still change gear in a couple of turns, which i don't even need an allen key to do (Y)

good idea that.

adam

Ha ha, i did that for him.... shortly before he snapped the syringe on my bleed kit the b*****d!

or drill to 4.2 and tap it properly?

I think il do that cheers, some of those replys seemed, well weird. Cheers anyway but if anyone knows how to make the chain stay in line without spokes, bolts, tapping or other weird shit, please say. Thaks for the quick replys people.

Thanks

what i would try i dont mean it would deffo work if your single speed move the sproket to the left so the mech lines up with it a bit more anuraly (im guessing you are using single speed as u can run it with out a barrel if not i dont realy know i know this is one of though super usful posts and im not that shure why im posting it but ill carry on nattering)

ben

Ha ha, i did that for him.... shortly before he snapped the syringe on my bleed kit the b*****d!

Yep Kris done it for me as my mech just wouldent stay in one place with a cable even after doing it up mega tight.

And Kris you no i din't brake your bleed kit, it was connor when he started shoving it in my face.