Eno Freewheel Or Profile Mini Cassette Hub

coolbeen

To be honest, I'd go with an Eno. Mine lasted for a year before I had to cut it off, and in that time it was great. Skipped a few times before I cleaned out the insides when I first had it, but it was fine after. I stripped it once in a while and re-lubed it (there's a thread in the FAQ in Trials Chat which will show you how easy it is), and that kept it sweet.

Just bear in mind if you go Profile, you're going to be spending £155 on the hub, £10 on spokes, £10 for a build then about £20 for a new fixed sprocket, so you're basically paying well over double the amount of an Eno for something that isn't twice as good, basically.

Hi...

I am hopefully getting either a mini cassette hub or chris king hub eventually....Anybody on here used both or ridden bikes with them on....could you tell me which is better please thanking you kindly?

Thanks

zoo

Hi

i ride witha profile hub, it is nearly 3 year old now and has never skipped on me yet. :D

my mate used to have a king rear hub on his mod and i thought that it was well nice. (Y)

but the only difference that you can tell from is the sound, the king sounds well nicer.

but anyway when the king hub skips u know about it as they dont engage for half a rotation. (N)

i would say to buy a profile hub mate there well worth there money!

hop ive helped mate

cheers Fenton

another vote for an eno, as mark as already said they are cheaper than profiles, yet are better too! sure you wont look as cool without your anosided lime profile, but at least you will have 72 reliable engagement points and wont have to replace the driver bearings (seem to die pretty quickly on profiles)

i loved my eno on my mod

and i love my eno even more on my stock, i replaced my king with it, cos the eno just feels so much better!

I say eno all the way mate, i used to have an ACS but now i could never ride with an ACS again, the eno is far more reliable and i'd say much better than a profile and half the price aswell, so go for the eno its the way forward.

Cheers Thurston

I have an eno at the moment and made the same decision between profile and eno and I chose eno because of it's sheer weight saving and engagements and simplicity of it as well.

Though the thought of a king is tempting its money better spent somewhere else and profile's are good for what they are and that is for bmx'rs IMO.

I'd say gor for an ENO.

Then you don't have to mess about with buying a fixed cog on the back etc.

I run a profile becuase my ACS was f**ked, and I needed a new back wheel.

I got it 2nd hand, so it was cheap enough.

I've never used an Eno, but logically I'd go for a Profile. Simply because you know you're going to have a decent set up. Fair enough, eno's are supposed to be good, but you can still run an Eno and have the wankest hub on the back.

As Mark said, you will be paying twice that of an eno, but surely it makes sense if you know you're going to have a strong, reliable hub at the end of the day, which will last a long time providing you look after it.

I'd say the only problem with profiles is the maintence costs it involves, the parts are stupidly priced for what they are. I've had my profile for around 3 months, never skipped, regularly cleaned, inspected and lubed up and its still going strong.

but you could still afford to buy an eno and a new t master hub (fookin ace hubs and cheap) and have change from the cost of going to a profile........

also how good does a fixed rear hub really have to be? even a cup and cone cheapo one will last a fair old while, the other advantage to an eno, is if you do somehow mess it up, its pretty easy to get hold of a cheap freewheel as a replacement stand in (a tenner gets you an acs claw? seems fine to me) and you can keep riding your bike until its fixed, whereas with a profile you are stuck unless you have another cassette hub just kickin around :P plus you are more likely it seems, to wreck a profile than an eno

but you could still afford to buy an eno and a new t master hub (fookin ace hubs and cheap) and have change from the cost of going to a profile........

Yeah but you still have to buy spokes and maby a new rim if you want to go crazy.why not just buy a profile off the for sale/wanted section they are not that much if you get one second hand around £130 and that is for a full wheel build. They are sooooo much better imo i'v never rode with a eno but i'v riden my mates eno and it skiped on me whic1h i didn't fine too nice as i was on the rear wheel for about 2 minutes before it skipped. It might be easy to service an eno but a profile is a lot easyer and i mean a lot. No little fiddaly things that can go missing a profile is more reliable and i don't think anyone can say that eno's are more reliable because they will be lieing. So i vote for a profile here mate have a look on for sale/wanted and see if you can find a good one.

rickyb

Edited by rickyb

Yeah but you still have to buy spokes and maby a new rim if you want to go crazy.why not just buy a profile off the for sale/wanted section they are not that much if you get one second hand around £130 and that is for a full wheel build. They are sooooo much better imo i'v never rode with a eno but i'v riden my mates eno and it skiped on me whic1h i didn't fine too nice as i was on the rear wheel for about 2 minutes before it skipped. It might be easy to service an eno but a profile is a lot easyer and i mean a lot. No little fiddaly things that can go missing a profile is more reliable and i don't think anyone can say that eno's are more reliable because they will be lieing. So i vote for a profile here mate have a look on for sale/wanted and see if you can find a good one.

rickyb

Spoken like a person who's never stripped an Eno? Seriously, read the thread I put. I don't get how you could ever say stripping an Eno is hard. It's excellently manufactured so you won't have to worry about pawls or springs flying off anywhere, so there's no trouble there. Oh, and by the way, I had a Profile skip when I was riding a bike with one, but does that mean I wouldn't buy one? No, not particularly. You say "No-one can say an Eno is more reliable" - yet you have f**k all experience with them? If you HAD any experience with them, you'd know it was easy to service them, but you'd also know they were really reliable. I've heard of just as many Profiles f**king up heinously as I have Enos, so I don't really get where you're coming from...

I don't really get why you'd need to buy a new rear hub either - if it ain't broke, don't fix it? If it's got a fixed cog on there anyway (or even a freewheel), you're good to go. Rear hubs can't be utterly shit and it won't matter, apart from the feel of it if it's shaking and loose (speaking of, Profile driver bearings? Uh ohs!). My T-Master hub's 4 years old now (I think it might actually be 4 1/2...), and it's still fine. No bearing changes, no nothing. It's just content to just roll along. They're like £30 max or so, so where's the problem there?

Yeah your right i have not had any experience but it's the same for you, sorry if i have read wrong but you have had the same amount of experience with a profile as i have with an Eno. I didn't say you had to buy a new hub pauloliver said that as i quoted him, i have never riden with an Eno but that still dosen't mean i shouldn't post my opinion up on this topic. I was putting a point accross as i have riden with a profile rear wheel for most of the time i have riden trials. So i was saying i can't see the Eno being much stronger than the profile which IMO it isn't but as you said i have no idear what i'm talking about :huh:

I have heard of eno's f**king up but not so many profiles, to be honest i can't remember when i last had a problem with my profile it has not skipped on me from what i remember and it is IMO more reliable. For someone that has just started riding trials and has no idear what he is doing with an Eno, he will be shooting himself in the foot by trying to service it when if a profile needs servicing all her/ she needs to do is take the sprocket thing off and clean the inside.

I haven't seen the step by step topic on how to fix an eno but i'm sure it will be easyer than i would think, i was thinking it will be harder for a newbe to trials if you know what i mean.So if he was to buy a profile he would not need to service it as much but i'm not sure how much an Eno needs servicing if it is anything like a king then i would not recomend buying one new, it will not be worth the hassle. I find that 42 eng's are all you need one a mod, but if you have riden with a king or an Eno then it will be hard to go from 72eng's to 42 but from going from an acs 42 will be more than enough.

rickyb

The Profile's got 48 engagements, btw (A)

Eno thread.

Profile thread ;)

If you're new to trials, I'd have thought a cheaper, easier option would've been better, but your call I suppose. I was only pointing out about the Profile that I've ridden bikes with Profiles on that have skipped...

Also, the bit about the hub was directed at whoever the other person was who said you'd have to buy one.

Also, if you're running 18:12 with a Profile on the back, it will engage as fast as an Eno would anyway (both would take 5° crank rotation to engage. If you had a King on the back, it'd be 3.333333° crank rotation.

But either way, 5 degrees, 5 shmegrees. It doesn't matter too much at that sorta stage. But yeah, just so's you know :)

Also, if you're running 18:12 with a Profile on the back, it will engage as fast as an Eno would anyway (both would take 5° crank rotation to engage. If you had a King on the back, it'd be 3.333333° crank rotation.

:o I dont know whether to be horrified or impressed that you know that...

What do you do with your Saturday nights? :)

Yep, and just like Knorr, you've now got the Know-how.

Ah, Knorr...

IPB Image

:wub:

The weird thing is is that I can explain how many degrees your crank will have to rotate to engage your hub (could even tell you the movement of the pedals :P), but I can't explain why my cat chose to climb into the washing bag, then piss all over my freshly washed clothes?

also how good does a fixed rear hub really have to be? even a cup and cone cheapo one will last a fair old while

I didn't say you had to buy a new hub pauloliver said that as i quoted him

yeah i said you HAVE TO BUY a new hub didnt i? read again, and you will notice that i said you could buy a new hub and an eno, for less than the price of a profile.....that was purely a suggestion for the people whinging how you werent upgrading your rear hub at the same time if you get an eno, unlike with a profile

if you read the second part i also said how a standard cup and cone hub should be fine.....

learn to f**king read