Frame/component Protection?

Jared

Right, well i know every one hates damaging there bikes so lets share with others what we do to protect them.

Ill start it off...

1.Well the first thing i did when i got my bike was i put green hosepipe on the chainstays on both sides to protect them from getting chipped if a sidehop goes wrong and also i think it looks cool to.

IPB Image

2.Secondly i put black insulation tape around the fork legs to prevent them from getting scratched and looking rubbish.You cant even tell its there when you look at the bike so this was a neat mod.

28030619429vp.th.jpg

3.I didnt actually put this on but theres like a pad on my stem,it was there when i bought the bike ive never actually found out what its for but im assuming its to protect them stem.

IPB Image

4.I have put a strip of insulation tape where the brake cables run to stop it scuffing the frame.

IPB Image

5.I havent done this to my trials bike but on another bike i cut an oval out of thick black insulation tape and put it on my cranks so they looked as if there was no wear,i took it off when i sold them and they looked new.Sorry no picture

Im sorry about the poor quality picture.i took them using my phone.

Thanks

Edited by Jared

3.I didnt actually put this on but theres like a pad on my stem,it was there when i bought the bike ive never actually found out what its for but im assuming its to protect them stem.

IPB Image

That's to protect your balls mate!

I got a carbonique downtube protector today but had to cut it down to half it's size to get it to fit my curved downtube.

Just a piece of innertube zip tied to my drive side chainstay to protect it from the chain slapping it. Won't even need that though when my fresh products tensioner arrives.

p.s. I think the thing in picture 3 is to protect your knees/legs/balls rather than the stem.

Hi. If you want to protect the underside of your frame, get an armourdillo, or if you are the hands-on type and you have got the tools, try making one out of checker plate, i made one for my mate ages ago and it turned out real nice. (Y)

Edited by Bike addict

Hi. If you want to protect the underside of your frame, get an armourdillo, or if you are the hands-on type and you have got the tools, try making one out of checker plate, i made one for my mate ages ago and it turned out real nice. (Y)

What's checker plate? You mean carbon fibre?

Sounds like a good idea.What is checker plate and where abouts do you get it from.My dad is a hands-on sort of person so he could probably do it.

IPB Image

Thats checker plate.

I got a carbonique (carbon fibre) frame protector today. It was too large so I had to cut it in half as my curved downtube made it stick out a bit much.

It had a few scratches on it but I just sanded all the laquer off and was left with the bare carbon fibre, add a little bit of oil and a cloth and it's done... I'll post pics when I get some zip ties to affix it to my frame....

IPB Image

Thats checker plate.

I got a carbonique (carbon fibre) frame protector today. It was too large so I had to cut it in half as my curved downtube made it stick out a bit much.

It had a few scratches on it but I just sanded all the laquer off and was left with the bare carbon fibre, add a little bit of oil and a cloth and it's done... I'll post pics when I get some zip ties to affix it to my frame....

Use the double sided foam tape instead of the tie wraps.It can be bought from a motorist shop as its used to stick on number plates. clean surfaces well first and it sticks like a zoo pad to a smooth rim.

That's to protect your balls mate!

I got a carbonique downtube protector today but had to cut it down to half it's size to get it to fit my curved downtube.

nah the balls will be fine, its your knees that would hurt more to hit on a stem. balls hurt whatever you do to them, knees dont usually but they will cripple you when you do hit them

The two pieces of protection i use on my bike are, Kevilar i use it in between my Tyre and my innertube it doesn't prevent pinches but prevents glass and thorns going threw my tyre. The other piece of protection i use is a chainstays Lizard skin protector. I don't find that it protects much but i use it for if the chains slightly slack i use it so it does not hit the chainstays and make that horrid noise as it clashes with the chainstays.

Aaron