My Cranks Are Creaking!

zoo

Hi..

I want to ask,have anybody cranks creaked before? and if so how did they stop it....because mine are doing it,but only when i'm putting pressure on them (all the time?) it's hard to describe,but somebody must know what i mean...I did search but found nothing.

Thanks...zoo baby!

Are you running a front freewheel?

As said tighten crank bolts up regularly. Also check the bottom bracket and tighten it if you can, also check any other things it might be, freewheel, bad chain alignment, pedal bearings/cages.

Basically, just strip 'n' grease. If you hold the cranks horizontally, then apply downward pressure on one crank arm (by the BB spindle) and upward on the other side, you can work out if the BB is loose. If it feels like there's play at all, take the cranks off and tighten the BB. If you wanna be all pro, you can whip the chap out and through some grease in there, which should stop any potential BB creak. Even a tiny amount of play (sometimes not even noticeable) can cause the mother of all creaks, so it's up to you how much you wanna get rid of the creak.

If there's no play there though, try just taking the crank arms off and lubing the tapers/ISIS interface. It's generally just the crank arms that cause creaking, simply because there's more force trying to move them on the taper/ISIS interface.

If doing both of those hasn't solved it, check out your pedals next.

Ive also got creaking bars, which is slightly more concerning :(

What bars are they, 'cause the zoo! ones anodising makes them creak. also what type of grease are you meant to put in with a bb/around it to stop it seizing up in the yoke?

Thanks a lot guys !!!!!!!!

Going to go try it out now..thanks again dudes.

Edit: Thanks guys that's worked a treat,greased the bitches up (Y)

zoo baby!

Edited by zoo

What bars are they, 'cause the zoo! ones anodising makes them creak. also what type of grease are you meant to put in with a bb/around it to stop it seizing up in the yoke?

Lithium grease has always worked for me, but basically, almost all generic grease will do the job nicely (Y)