Any One Else Hit A Wall?

ramps

I don't know if this should be in here but i don't think it would suit being in chit-chat.

Has anyone else just stopped improving in there riding? I mean like for a good few months or so. Whilst riding recently I have realized that I have improved very little in the past year or so and I am loosing interest in trials, do you think a break from riding for a while would help me keep interest when I get back on the bike or is all hope lost?

ooo argh...i was getting like that before christmas...

it wasn't that i was bored...i just seemed to do the same stuff :ermm: , which was nice..

anyways...my frame cracked, i went for something very different (2nd hand BT 5, over my woodstock/giant) and i'm loving it..

try something new? ride with other people...keep it real (Y)

adam

yes, I hit a wall regually.

it happens in every sport, my dad was a top class runner and would find the same.....

As he puts it, you dont improve gradually, you improve in steps. Now you can be on a step for anywhere from a week to years then over night somthing changes and your up another step.

I improved in 2004 then went on a step for over a year, not getting many good comp results or anything, but last month I went another step and I am a LOT better than I was last year.

Stick with it, you will get better, its a case of when.

Yeah ali's right. There will be a point when you suddenly manage to understand something a lot better and it just works despite the maybe the day before you were nowhere near being able to do it.

I got manuals the other day and for some reason they seem fine now, i can do nearly four times my previous days ability.

You can always force progression, this is harder and will seem like its taking longer but it works. What i mean is go and do something you didn't think youd possibly be able to do and keep trying it.

For gapping get some crates and put them in two little stacks. move the stacks so the gap between is what you can just do now but find it a bit of a challenge still. Then move the crate stack a foot away from each other, and keep trying it... this might take hours, days or even weeks but eventually you'll get closer and closer to it and thats when you manage it, ergo you've improved.

Try and do the same for different aspects of your riding to see a good overall improvement.

Sometimes I do.

Just recently my confidence has bult up, and i've been going for bigger stuff.

I just have fun riding now. The riding where I live is limited though, unless you spend some money and go somewhere good. :rolleyes:

Yeah i hit a wall a while back :S bloody hurt :P Knocked a brick out!!! With MY HEAD!!! (well helmet, still got the dent :P )

Well yeah i hit a wall/barrier/stopped improving a while ago, it was realy annoying! just doing the same thing over and over getting more and more frustrated because i couldnt do anything more and anything less felt pointless etc! But now i'm back on the road of improvement.

Im the oppopsite, I found changing bike from a 24" to a pure made loads of stuff easier, even shit bmx stuff, because you can learn the trials better, get better bike handling skills and more power, to so the spins and blah with.

Try something new, go 24" or something, opens up new possibilites.

I haven't really improved in lots of things in the last 2 years. I'm not getting out as much as I was, but that's not really an excuse. My problem is that I seem to pick up new techniques fairly easily (learnt the trials basics in a very short time) and then however hard I try I can't improve on them. So whilst I've learnt loads more things in the the last 2 years, I haven't improved my gap distance or backwheel height at all. But it's cool, I like learning new stuff and I still enjoy riding, which is 100% the only important thing :)

Hey you i had this problem like 2years ago at the end of summer holidays and i actually gave up trials and started dirt jumping but then as last year i started again when i got my new bike and i hadn't lost any skills and quickly progressed learning more stuff and i'm still loving it. A good motivator i find is to buy some new parts not expensive though like new tyres or bars something like that and you might find that your bike will feel a little different and you will do different stuff or just go all out and get a new frame or wheels :P

Just try doing different things to your bike and messing around.

have you TRIED improving much? i found i went through a stage of just riding, and not pushing myself atall!!

just try your hardest and give it all, then you can reap the rewards :D

I agree with Will, you have to try to improve, but it is nice just riding sometimes. I did this last night, didn't really push myself, but was riding pretty well so just enjoyed it :)

One thing that helps me is a always think about what went well in a ride and take something positive from it. This could be like doing your biggest gap/tap/whatever, but not always sometimes it could just be spotting a new line or just trying something new (even if you don't make it). This way I rarely get pissed off with my riding and its always a good ride :)

Ride more when you're out :P Hardly see you ride when I'm out with you guys.

Cheeeky!! nah your probaly right rossi, and did you drive past us lastnight in blackburn? i saw some one that resembled your hair in 306.

I seem to have...hit a wall, recently. Although, I've not been riding long. Everytime I went out, I was learning new things, and felt pretty confident whilst I was out, which was great. But now, I'm stuck on pedal kicks/back wheel hops. I can do about 8 static hops on the back wheel if I'm lucky, and perhaps one pedal kick if I'm very lucky. I've been working on them for weeks, its getting frustrating. I've been putting them off til now, to work more on my balance and stuff, which I've got as good as its gonna get for the time being, so I need to work on everything else and catch up.

yo dude,

when i have found myself like this its usually cos im not enjoying it cos im doing TOO MUCH of it.

i have a couple of days rest and get back on the steed, then try looking @ things in a different perspective, that makes riding more interesting, instead of going to the same walls and the same old lines doing the same old sh!t on them, go to them and say "right il do it X,Y & Z way, instead of this way" have a go, its well fun. i keep doing it and i feel even though my riding may or may not be improving, i feel to be having alot more fun, and get alot more enjoyment out of it, Feeley on here hasnt got or had a bike for a week or two now, hes 14 or summit and has a WILL to ride his bike, and i feel for him cos its inspiring to watch someone like him improve so quickly. yet he has given his time up the last couple of days/nights to help me do sum filming which have really pushed me, and made me want to ride to my potential. hes been there looking a bit down, and to keep him interested i will try/do something i havent tried or done myself before and aswell as it inspiring him with a mahoosive smile on his face it makes me smile 3 times as bad, cos i can hit the same wall 16 times with 16 different moves, or the same rail gap/tap and do it 12 different ways. try it. expand your imagination of trials (Y):)

Waynio........................

sorry to batter on. but i just thought i would explain to you what i sometimes do, i will admit i have not had to do it much, but when i do get "bored" i do that above :D

ive been at the same stage for nearly a year probably 2. I know exactly why. I have grown out of my area. There just isnt any stuff big enough/challenging enough (i live in a little village with about 3 walls and a curb).

we do have a woods, but god its boring.No fallen trees, no hills...and when i build stuff the ranges take it down (fire hazard)

oh and i ride alone, so im never inspired or pushed to succed by others.

i have been wanting/looking for pallets for flipping ages but if you saw this village you wouldnt be surprised i havent found any. And how the hell do i get them back home?And where do i put them where they wont go walkies?

im bored.... :(