Front Disc Brake. Options

MaXsteri

At the moment I have a 2005 REAR louise on the front running the lever upside down and it sucks balls (predictably <_< )

I have been trying to find the the front lever for sale individually but it doesn't seam to be possible.

So it looks like i will have to buy a whole new front brake and sell the rear, which is going to be about £117 from wiggle for the louise.

My question is are there any better options out there for the money?

shouldnt make any difference whether the lever is upside down or not, try

facing your frame mounts

new pads

cleaning your rotor

a bleed

check all that stuff and you should be away

eerrr yes it would, all the air from the reservoir will rise up into the system.

Assuming hes been running it upside down and its not completely screwed, then it must be closed. I think itll be ok once bedded in.

Edit: according to magura.com the louise is open, so thats not gunna do it any good.

Edited by Hobnobs

Running it upside down won't work because it is open and air will get into it.

Hope levers won't work because they are DOT fluid, Magura run on mineral oil.

I suggest getting in touch with cleanbikes or Magura UK and trying to source a lever, if not, see if you can find a right hand Shimano hydraulic lever, as these are also open and mineral.

if not, see if you can find a right hand Shimano hydraulic lever, as these are also open and mineral.

chain reaction, 25quid, xt lever, and they fit straight on, fanf**kingtastic :) ive done it on 2 brakes and it was all good, they are also f**kloads more comfy than the shitty magura levers and have decent seals :)

all the shimano levers seem pretty decent btw, ive only owned the deore and the xt though but i liked them lots :)

Okay I might just go with the Shimano lever then (Y)

What will i need to bleed it? Will i need both the shimano and louise bleed kits?

Edit: Actually, looking at the kits i will just need the magura one, i think?

Edited by MaXsteri

Avid bb7, cheap, and awesome.

Ian

someone not read the topic? :P only jkin

If you know a LBS which stocks maguras, perhaps they could order one in? Other than that as said above the shimano one uses mineral oil, but to be honest i don't like the feel of them :(

neither, just get some mineral oil and bleed it :) there should be a faq on bleeding somewhere on here (Y)

I will order the xt lever and mineral oil, but i dont see how you can bleed it without the syringe? I did a search and im pretty sure i need the magura bleed kit for the louise > syringe adaptor (i already have a syringe and the hoses from the hs33 bleed kit) unless you have a secret bleed method?

narr, ou dont need a syringe, just take the resevoir cap off the lever, fill up, undo the bleed nipple on the caliper and squeeze the lever, while holding the lever in, do up the bleed nipple and then let go of the lever again...keep doing that untill its bled.

you cant just mix and match levers and calipers, they are developed as a set, I havnt checked the leverage ratios of piston to fluid movement, but I would bet that the 2 levers are not the same and your brake will be shite....