Loud Eno

jak-89

Hey...

How can i make my eno louder? I v been told a to bend the pawls out or something but im not sure :S

Please give me some advive

Cheers (Y)

Jack Gibson!

Oh and is there any point in doing it, will it improve performance :S

Cheers :P

If you can bend the pawls, you must be he-man. The pawls are the metal arms that pivot inside the pawl carriers, and are pushed out into the ratchet by the springs. Bending the springs means that the pawls are forced out harder, which in turn leads to a louder click of the freewheel and theoretically less chance of skipping.

If you go into the FAQ section of Trials Chat, you'll find a thread about Eno servicing that'll help you out with it all :)

The reason the ENO's quiet is becuase of the sealed bearings. Spin it when it's open and it clicks like a mad man sending morse code.

I don't like all this 'must have the loudest click' crap, if it's preforming as it should be, leave it be. (Y)

yeah my terminology would be freewheel.

An eno is a certain type of freewheel though.

If there's nothing wrong with it at the minute then I'd leave it alone if I was you. Like JT said it's due to the sealed bearings, the noise isn't the be all and end all of hub/freewheel performance.

Well, it's not the sealed bearing making it quiet, it's the out-board dirt-seal that's making it quiet. However, getting rid of that to increase volume would suck a bit, due to the fact there isn't a seal to protect from 'dirt' any more :P

If it's clicking louder then generally it'll help the engagement, as it tends to mean the pawls are freer moving, resulting in a more reliable engagement. However, unless you're sure you know what you're doing (and again, that guide can help you (Y)), might be worth leaving it alone.

Just get rid of some of that thick gungy grease whats in there, put some lighter lube in there like WD40 will make it alot more smoother and louder.

Ben G (Y)

my mate did that and it sounds alot louder (Y)

I dont understand why you want it to click louder, if it works ok and you're stripping it and pissing about with it, you're just asking for trouble.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about how my freewheel sounded as long as it worked...I value my face more than a sound. No one, expect 12 year old faggots give a toss if your freewheel is loud, its pathetic. Keep it as it is, if not, I hope you like soup.

Although having said that, when Eno's go quiet it tends to mean that the grease from inside the sealed bearings has oozed out onto the pawls, which means they don't engage as well, meaning it's more likely to skip/kill you. Therefore, if your Eno goes quiet, it's generally a good indication it needs a service.

Although having said that, when Eno's go quiet it tends to mean that the grease from inside the sealed bearings has oozed out onto the pawls, which means they don't engage as well, meaning it's more likely to skip/kill you. Therefore, if your Eno goes quiet, it's generally a good indication it needs a service.

Aye. Generally taking about the 'LOUD AS POSSIBLE' trend :) rather silly.

dude if you want a louder noise go for a cassete if the trial god wanted the ENO to click louder he would of created it that way

and plus if you do bend the pawls out whats to say it might ruin an £80 freewheel mine sounds nice and performs ace my advice leave it be

cheerez mellon

I would also like to add that when me and tom striped that eno down some of the pawls were slightly damaged and were not as flicky,after rebuilding the freewheel never seemed to be the same and kept skipping. Loud is good when it comes as standard but if you have to modify to get it then its not worth it.Also if you really want to turn heads buy a tensile freewheel toms hasn't skipped yet and its the loudest thing ever, if i didn't own two profiles id be running on at the minute.

Hey

Yes fairly, is it still bedding in or something because if it is its taking its time :S or is it meant to ?

To b honest it doesn't skip as much as it used to when i first bought it.

Cheers

Jack Gibson!