Websense

Ash-Kennard

very very annoying basically.

websense is a program which blocks nearly everything at school from t-f to games to the bbc website in places

anyway of breaking through shitty websense at hampshire schools?

e-pass.tk is blocked too.

Edited by ash-kennard

Cgi-proxies generally work well. Theres thousands of them around so loads to choose from. If you can, change the connection settings to go through the teachers proxy (Usually on a unblocked one) You may not have one though dependant on the schools network and set-up. Probably need a password aswell. :-

Try ones like procksee and stuff like that, my school recently started filtering all these, and now they have filtered the word proxy, but not procksee.....silly technicians!

From Lee

EDIT:

hidemyass.com is a good one

Edited by radical rider

Um... apparently you might still be able to use the IP -

http://83.170.72.216/~trials/forum/ (that'll get you to the front page)

When you click on a link you'll need to replace "83.170.72.216/~trials" with "www.trials-forum.co.uk"

If I remember correctly, translation sites do the proxy thing for you. Try www.av.com (aka www.altavista.com) and click on translate. Do the translation from *language of your choice" to english. If that ones blocked google also has one at www.google.com/translate.

another vote for logmein Absolutely brilliant little program, free, fast and damn easy to set up on any computer you want.

I used it for the same sort of thing and it really is good, you got to make sure your computer at home is turned on, connected to the internet and has the logmein control panel enabled then you can do what you want.

stu (Y)

playdoughbox worked nicely for me, was prooving quite an effort to waste time at college but sort of got there in the end, e messenger couldnt connect though :(

Probably just download firefox which wont have all the crap on it

yes !!!! i'm so pleased hideme.info works just hope the admin dude can't find out what i've been looking at :-

Yea i gotta admit hideme is the best one ive used so far for getting on to tv.isg.. its blocked here at uni.. sad c**ts

playdoughbox worked nicely for me, was prooving quite an effort to waste time at college but sort of got there in the end, e messenger couldnt connect though :(

Probably just download firefox which wont have all the crap on it

If I remember correctly, Websense is "transparent." So switching to Firefox wouldn't get around it.

There are a few theories a friend and I came up with while in college. But they were more trouble than they were worth... unless you have a laptop, wireless card and 56k modem card to hand.

Finding or setting up a new http proxy is the easiest way around it. Or as someone said, use google language tools (Y)

Having administered Websense, I know it pretty well.

Long and short of it is, you're not going to break it. Anyone who knows how to put a proxy in place will not allow web traffic from any user to go out through the general internet and bypass the proxies, it's too easy.

Also Websense works by all users submitting URLs as they find them, and the database is refreshed every day. You may find a proxy site today, and it's blocked tomorrow. That's not someone at your college doing it, it could be any websense user.

A lot of proxies will force a DNS lookup if you enter an IP. If no DNS name is returned, it will allow it to be requested, if it returns a DNS entrythat is blocked, there's nothing you can do.

It's possible to set up different users with different profiles. The head will probably have unrestricted access, teachers can view most websites but probably still have gambling and hate pages (etc...) blocked. You're restricted to site categories deemed appropriate by the school. No way around it, unless you comprimise the account of someone with higher privileges.

Still, if they didn't block TF and so on, you'd probably never get any work done...

EDIT: Just to add, proxies can be set to log unauthorised website access attempts, and these could be audited on a regular basis quite easily. If it's shown that your account is continually trying to bypass security, you may be for the high jump.

Having administered Websense, I know it pretty well.

Long and short of it is, you're not going to break it. Anyone who knows how to put a proxy in place will not allow web traffic from any user to go out through the general internet and bypass the proxies, it's too easy.

Also Websense works by all users submitting URLs as they find them, and the database is refreshed every day. You may find a proxy site today, and it's blocked tomorrow. That's not someone at your college doing it, it could be any websense user.

A lot of proxies will force a DNS lookup if you enter an IP. If no DNS name is returned, it will allow it to be requested, if it returns a DNS entrythat is blocked, there's nothing you can do.

It's possible to set up different users with different profiles. The head will probably have unrestricted access, teachers can view most websites but probably still have gambling and hate pages (etc...) blocked. You're restricted to site categories deemed appropriate by the school. No way around it, unless you comprimise the account of someone with higher privileges.

Still, if they didn't block TF and so on, you'd probably never get any work done...

EDIT: Just to add, proxies can be set to log unauthorised website access attempts, and these could be audited on a regular basis quite easily. If it's shown that your account is continually trying to bypass security, you may be for the high jump.

Spoken like a true BOFH ;)

I've known many administrators that say that. I've been guilty of that way of thinking in the past. It soon changes when you see you've had your server's/whatever's security compromised by a 13-year-old Brazilian kid leaving his "tag" in broken English.

The fact is that most school/college administrators are people that gained Microsoft certificates for using Windows NT and maybe know a tiny bit about Cisco. They put most of their faith into systems like Websense and leave it at that. They seem to think that no-one that goes to the school/college will be more experienced in "administration." But anyone with some free time, knowledge of programming and access to securityfocus.com can get around almost any security system.

As I said before, there are plenty of ways to bypass proxies at school. It's just not usually worth the effort, time nor money just so you can visit a website they're blocking.

yeah but, I f**king hate ICT at school, it sucks, games and tf is all I do in the lesson.

I have taken into consideration everything that has been said, thank you f-stop junkie, but I will try some of the methods anyway.

It is now my goal in life.

The fact is that most school/college administrators are people that gained Microsoft certificates for using Windows NT and maybe know a tiny bit about Cisco. They put most of their faith into systems like Websense and leave it at that.

Ah, this is the problem. Assuming everything is built properly, it's pretty bulletproof. Built badly, then it's easier to comprimise.

Two ways of beating it - get around the proxy (which depends on firewall config), or find a page not in the database.