I Want To Be Jeff Lenosky

Stephen Morris

All I can think of that you'd need is a slightly longer rear brake cable/hose, and a hollow star-nut/top-cap etc so that you can run the front brake cable through the steerer tube. You can probably get these from most bmx shops (Y)

Edited by the judge

a seat helps, pinch it with your knees whilst you lift up the bike and lean back into a kinda manual, then simply spin the bars, its possible without a seat, but i cant personally do it without

parts wise, long hoses/cables are a must :P im guessing you run a rear magura, so be careful not to overspin and bust the hosing. on the front you could run a bmx top cap and starnut, that allows you to run the front brake cable/hose through it-means there is 1 less thing to get tangled when you spin :)

get the topcap and starnut from any bmx shop :) infact if you want 1, i have 1 spare i think :)

You're fighting a losing battle mate.

As a man who has aimed at this for at least 3 years I can tell you some problems.

- Bars will be too wide to spin easily and quickly.

Make them narrower and you lose a decent feel / useability for trials.

- Seat needs to be too high

Lower it and you can't barspin. Make it higher and you can't do trials.

- Seat tube angle could be wrong

Most trials frames have their seat tube angle set too far back. So the seat isn't in quite the right position to pinch, even as far forward on the rails as possible.

- You will destroy your knees

Unles you have a really really well padded seat it will hurt your legs/knees/thighs. Have a smaller seatand it's unpractical for trials.

It's just not practical, unless you have a larger framed street bike and sack off any kind of techy-trials related street moves :(

A company made gyros for a hydraulic brake, I'm not sure which company but it looked pretty good, would help while your learning with bails and the like. On the subject of actually doing the spins, could you grab onto the seat and spin the bars or would that not work?

Found the picture:

IPB Image

Made by F-set apparently, can't find much more info though sorry.

Nah its not a losing battle. I could do them on my ashton when I didnt have a front brake. You just need to put the seat up a few inches and run a shadow slim seat or similar, and get a braided hose for the rear and run the front cable nice and long through the steerer tube.

All these bits would be available from a bmx shop (not the braided hydo hose, but the other bits) and I'm sure you could have a pretty barspinable machine. If you run your bars about 24inches wide they still remain controlable enough for trials, yet bar spinable.....If jeff can do it so can you. There's also hundreds of bmxers who can bar spin with no seat at all....

Dearest Stephen only has a wee plastic mini seat on his Leeson, and i'm not sure he can even put a proper post in there?

Try learning on Tim's BMX and see how that goes?

Best wishes from myself and the family.

A company made gyros for a hydraulic brake, I'm not sure which company but it looked pretty good, would help while your learning with bails and the like. On the subject of actually doing the spins, could you grab onto the seat and spin the bars or would that not work?

Found the picture:

IPB Image

Made by F-set apparently, can't find much more info though sorry.

there was a hydrialic gyro which consisted of a resevior just above the headset - so while the bars could spin the hose in and the hose out both went in the resevior but both could freely spin but good idea poor practically

it is barspinnable with shorter bars and a good lean back all will be good - if you cables have long enough "bunny ears :P" but wether you could do it as a trials move - would make it different from a jumping trick - without a seat you may be unable to do it as a manual but in the air you may be able to

maybe im just chatting now :unsure: