New Frame

Mr Dave

Hello

I have a Bt 6 Proto

IPB Image

im wanting a new frame with a higer bb, between 30 - 60 preferably 50.

my bike atm, is an 1115mm wb with about +7 bb rise, and a reach of 29" !!!!

this is the longest riding bike i have ever felt.

all the new frames with a higher bb out there, only have a small reach, average at 26"

im looking at the GU typhoon, its got a short back end, with the right bb rise and right wb, but only has a 26" reach.

with a longer stem, will my bike feel the same overall ?? ie, from bb to grips? even though the frames shorter.

now really i no the answer is yes, but i really wanna no how this will affect the ride ?????

Thanks for any help/advice/any comments you can give, thanks.

Dave :)

how can i make the pic bigger ??

Limey.

It also has a large reach (27.75") but obviously this is going to be alot more manageable than the BT proto. I'm running mine with a 100mm control stem and at first it felt stupidly long but now I really love it.

It only has +20 bb though which is a little less than you asked for and is of course a bit more expenisve than a GU (worth it though ;) )

EDIT: Forgot to add, Tarty site says it has 1095 with an Urban fork but mine seemed a *little* longer when measuring

As for the stem, changing to a shorter bike with a longer stem won't make it feel the same but may make the change easier to deal with. I'd just stick with what you're running now as long as it's not too short/long and see how you get on with it. Can change to a size you're sure will work after that then (if you need to)

Edited by Shaun H

this might sound a little silly, but what about a production bt6? 35mm BB rise (listed as 45, but i think bigman came out at 35), 1100 wheelbase, MASSIVE reach.

ALL the new generation high BB frames have really short reach....

and NO, although getting a longer stem will make your bars the same position relative to the BB, it wont feel right at all.

i tried on my hifi, and the long stem didnt help. it just doesnt feel right at all!

it doesnt help that all the deng frames have fairly slack headangles, and the BT head angles do tend to seem a bit steeper (no idea what theyre listed as though, they do feel steeper)

i personally didnt like the really high BB rise, it just felt too odd, and tapping just doesnt feel natural on them at all!

many people have had this problem, although it doesnt seem like an issue on more sensible bb rises like 35mm.

also look at the 1100 KOT ms2, thats got 383 stays, a +35bb, and an 1100 wheelbase.

both sound right up your street.

yooo.

Thanks for the reply's.

Shaun H - Im 6ft 2 and get on alot better with longer bikes.

I really dont think i could ride a shorter one :(

i dont really want the limey, as one, it looks the same as my bike, and two the geos not diff enough, to justicefy the price :P

thanks anyway

Prawn - Humm, thats not what i wanted to hear lol :(

what do you mean by it doesnt feel right ? i can kinda see what you mean, but is it not, the advantages of a shorter bike, but with the same reach (bb - grips ) ?

i looked on the select bikes website, and it doesnt say about the bt 6 bb rise ?

looking at the bt ninja though, its got a well short back end but a 1100mm wb so that would make it feel even longer ??! only 20mm bb rise though :( would this make a diff ??

ive rode the kotmt2 matts, but he had a normal stem, and it felt wayyyy to short.? its got a really slack head angle though, 70.5 so im guessing this is what makes it feel so short ?

more advice please :P

what was the reach on bigmans ??

thanks Dave :)

Unfortunatly i never measured the reach on my BT6, but in my oppinion any frame with a BB higher than 30mm idealy wants to have 380+ stays to compensate for the higher BB....

I found my BT6 to be realy good for things that required rear wheel balance, for example sidehops, wheelswaps (pigeons) etc but for tapping or any thing where you are pedaling up something it is horrid.....

How about an MBK, Stan has been raving about his, 1100 wheelbase, 35mm bb rise, 385mm CS, 27.25 inch reach, so still less than your current frame, they are pricey at £400 but you do get a can of touch up paint ;)

If you do like the idea of a BT6 or any high BB frame make sure you have a decent try on one before you purchase and do not go on initial impresions of it being good on the back wheel, try tapping or something (Y)

Adam

hummmmmmmmm

so confusing lol

and theres noone that rides near me lol, only person i ride with is Leon and he rides a px :angry:

the mbk sounds sweet, its :sick: though ! lol if im thinkin of the right one.

what stem would be good to use with the mbk ??

Thanks Dave :)

please god dont get a ninja!!!!!!!!! They ahve gotta have the worst geo ever!! I would rather ride a jump bike.

here here !! (Y)

argghh!! i cant believe some1 would consider getting one !

i cant actually look at one,,

iolo.

Could always go with a IOLO and have the geometry you want (Y)

Um, for an MBK i would probably run something like a pazzaz stem, something with a bit of rise to compensate for the BB rise, have a look on tartybikes, there is a pic of Stans on there (Y)

Adam

yeah ive seen the pic, loooks nice actualy.

thing is though lol its the same geo as my bt accpet 30mm higher bb, i dont think i can justify 400 pounds for a slightly higher bb .... :unsure:

maybe ill look into gettin someone to build be a frame

Thanks for your help :)

Dave :)

while we're on the subject of bb heights and lengths,has anyone went the other way and gone from a high bottom bracket bike(plus55) back to a low one and what did it feel like(plus10)?ive got a raven 5 long frame but ride a adamant a1 long.c'mon who's went against the current trend?

craig