Reported Goods...

Robwalker

Well say for example i found something by the side of the road, and then took it home, rung up the police and reported i'd found it. They then said they would get back to me if anyone rings and claims it, and if they didn't then it was mine to keep. Anyone have any information/ideas on how long i have to wait to legialy own this item.

Cheers, Rob

Google says longer

Lost Property

You may claim unknown lost items as yours if they were not obtained dishonestly, they do not belong to a known person (including your employer, relatives) and they were not claimed lost and just not collected. However whilst the goods are in your care they must be taken care of and not damaged.

You may also claim the goods for yourself if you have taken the relevant steps to locate the owner, such as leaving them at a police station to be claimed. You must wait six weeks before the police will allow you to claim lost goods as your own.

Found anything good?

bah, 6 weeks, im only on 3 im not that patient, my dad thinks its four weeks so that sounds good i was just hoping it was a bit closer :( And yes you could call it a good find :P Let me explain.

How great can your day get, last day of school walking home perfect weather having a laugh, then all of a sudden this van comes flying around one of them little round abouts, door swings open and out pops a box, he didn't notice, broke before the next roundabout and the door shut, thus leaving the box on the floor. Well me being the good helpful citizen that i am :rolleyes: , decided to run over and get the box out of the road before a car crashed into it. But to my amazement i was a brand new computer tower :D 160gb hard drive, 512 ram, DVD-R/RW, not bad for free ay? :P(Y)

Rob

bah, 6 weeks, im only on 3 im not that patient, my dad thinks its four weeks so that sounds good i was just hoping it was a bit closer :( And yes you could call it a good find :P Let me explain.

How great can your day get, last day of school walking home perfect weather having a laugh, then all of a sudden this van comes flying around one of them little round abouts, door swings open and out pops a box, he didn't notice, broke before the next roundabout and the door shut, thus leaving the box on the floor. Well me being the good helpful citizen that i am :rolleyes: , decided to run over and get the box out of the road before a car crashed into it. But to my amazement i was a brand new computer tower :D 160gb hard drive, 512 ram, DVD-R/RW, not bad for free ay? :P(Y)

Rob

eBay!

Well it really isnot worth taking it to the police as the person who lost it probably wont ask them about it, and another good reason is you deffinatley won't get something like that back because it could have some personal/business files- thats the reason they use all the time.

just keep it to yourself and noone is any the wiser.

sam

Yer thats what i sed to my dad, but the computer was brand new so no files, but he said if no one was going to claim it might aswel ring them up and when no one claims it its fully legit, rather than me going to sell it and findin out its stolen, i mean for all i knew it could have been stolen from the bloke in the van and knowing my luck i'd end up gettin blamed for it. So just take it this way and its deffinetly legal and no worries :D

Rob

I really dont think that anyones gonna report it missing to the police. I mean, they take them from a warehouse full of them and then they get transported to the different shops that require them... which are usually a fair distance apart. These shops then take them off the vans and put them into storage in the shop. Depending on the service of the shop these could then be delivered to peoples houses.

So that leaves too many possible ways for it to be checked back on where it could have gone missing. It could have been left at the initial depot or left at the shop. Either way the communication isn't going to be great between the companies so i would imagine you should find that you'll not have anyone claim it before the 6 weeks is up. Plus i'm not 100% sure but i think you have to claim for it at the station it was reported missing at so i doubt that between checking the depots and stores to see if it was left there, that they'll realise that it had fallen out the back of the van in the town you live in after its possibly travelled hundreds of miles to get to you.

dont give it in the police are c**ts they wont help you - all phones that get handed in instantly get destroyed and even when you phone up an try to get them back they wont tell you cos of the data protection act its f**king wank shit bollocks keep it man fair play (Y)

lol yer sod it, thats for all your help im going to have a word with my dad tonight and keep annoying him till he lets me have it :P Cheers to krisboats your points very true and its going to be my weapon of choice :lol: And dont chop my hands off, if you think about it i was doing a good deed as it was on a blind corner and a motobike could have come tearing round the corner and whacked straight into it and he could have fallen off and died! :rolleyes: I must be quiet lucky though, throughout my life i've foud 5 phones, about 30 quid in money and a computer :D Its karma im telling you!

Rob

:rolleyes: I must be quiet lucky though, throughout my life i've foud 5 phones, about 30 quid in money and a computer :D Its karma im telling you!

Rob

Wait till someone nicks your bike :shifty: I'd say keep it! like alot of other people have said they won't care! Just don't ebay it within 5 minutes of it legaly becoming yours incase it all backfires somehow?

thats my box, it fell out my transit, the day brfore the door was being fixed, give it back please or give me the number for your local police station, 999 isn't it these days :-

:P Tell me what the name of the computer and the colour and documents to prove it, then i'll even post it to you! :lol::lol:

:P Tell me what the name of the computer and the colour and documents to prove it, then i'll even post it to you! :lol::lol:

umm... dell something or other, i was just delivering it, pretty sure it is just black, shall i pay postage? as for the documents they fell out a little further down the road from the computer.

thieving gippo's morelike...

a hahahahahaha

Edited by ash-kennard