Aluminium Disc + Polyurethane Pads. Faq

FuZ

Some time ago I’ve bought tektro disc brake (about 10 euro). It didn't give me braking level that is needed for trial. That's why I decide to make disc and pads by myself. I didn't have problems with the disc. It was made by local drunk master :). I had problems with pads. My experience shows, that glue won’t handle the flat surface. There is two ways of solving this: 1) to rivet the material to the pad's platform. It is a bad idea because it will destroy the disc. 2) To make ledges on the pad's material. It will do.

The steps of creating pads are shown in the photos.

I don't think that this article will be interesting for magura or hope owner.... it for others :)

Validation here I go )))

WARNING!!! USE RESPIRATOR!!! Or the dust of this shit will damage your health.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by FuZ

hm.. no. Everything fine. I test it. The braking level is much better than with standart disc/pads... its like an article for those, who interested in increasing brake force.

hes just trying to get validated.

just go for a decent brake instead of trying to make you own.

im sorry but that disc looks awful in one piece. at least stick it on the mill and make some cool patterns. the holes in discs allow for cooling but also privide more 'bite' since there is more area for the pads to grip.

future orange 660

tsssssss.... it's a secret ;)

disc is fine. Holes will destroy pads material. Look at the plazmatic disc. It has no holes.

merlin_rider

>How thicks the rotor, standard width??

no. it's 3 - 3.5 mm width

>How long do the pads last for??

very long. It's a very good material. It's used for shoes.

hes just trying to get validated.

just go for a decent brake instead of trying to make you own.

im sorry but that disc looks awful in one piece. at least stick it on the mill and make some cool patterns. the holes in discs allow for cooling but also privide more 'bite' since there is more area for the pads to grip.

There's no harm in that is there?

If people didn't try their own things we wouldn't half the innovative products available to us today. I say good on the lad for having a go and making the best of what he's got.

hm.. no. Everything fine. I test it. The braking level is much better than with standart disc/pads... its like an article for those, who interested in increasing brake force.

Oh i see m8 sorry. Dosnt look all that but if it stops you and is more powerfull then nice job. Most people say go and buy one. But it takes a bit of savvy to actually do it. Nice one.

tnx for replies!

I'm thinkin about painting the disc . Maybe then it will look less primitive :)

Also I think alu disc is better, because its making avalible to use tar... or how do you call it

tnx for replies!

I'm thinkin about painting the disc . Maybe then it will look less primitive :)

Also I think alu disc is better, because its making avalible to use tar... or how do you call it

I dont think tar would actually make it any better, as as far as i am aware disk

brakes stop in a different way to rim brakes, so you have the best combination

there of a totally smooth rotor and smooth pads according to whatever scientific

principle it is, hopefully someone who knows about it can tell more. (Y)

However aluminium rotors should stop better than a steel rotor i think, but thats

down to the material.

Don't paint it, the paint will probably die from the heat etc, tar melts on diskbrakes and makes them aqua-plane and if your lucky smoke comes out :) (did it on my mtb for a laugh, went down a huge hill with my lever touching my bar and smoke pumping from my calliper/rotor) then again you don't get alot of heat froma trial disk realy, but don't do it youl probably spontaniously combust :rolleyes:

Edit: Forgot to say i realy liked the brake :) looks ace!

Edited by ogre

Your problem is how your mounting the polyurethane to the brake shoe.

1 You need to have the polyurethane mount into the shoe(check some normal disc pads, you'll see what i mean)

2 That glue is not good enough what so ever

3 The polyurethane is probs too soft

How come i can say this

1 My dad owns EBC, they know disc and pads inisde out

2 I've worked there and am set to inherat it so i got to know what i'm onabout

3 I've tried this with some of my material on a disc i ground

I use epoxy to stick my material on to the pads. Devocon 2 TON! On a disc you have stuiped amoutns of shear on the pad, this stuff never let me down ever ever.

The disc i used was a Hope wavy, Hope will make you any disc you want from what they have made over the ten years stil ltoday which is cool. It's a solid flat surface

I tried it with no grind, plane disc and it worked, how ever i wanted it to be uber powerfull, more than my 203 mono trials (custome order). So i put a grind on the disc, one grind going one way and the other the other. I did this with bolted to an old wheel spining. This was so the brake would grab ether way the wheel went and work. Oh and it did

I use this on a mono min 160 front and it was amazing. I'm still tweaking it all loads and have an agreement in place with Hope on a few things. Te shoesi can get off me Dad @ EBC

I'm away right now and all the pics are on the works laptop so once i'm back i'll sort it out hopefully.

Oh if your going to use super glue you need a primer and the only stuff to use is Loc Tite (sp) stuff

Your problem is how your mounting the polyurethane to the brake shoe.

1 You need to have the polyurethane mount into the shoe(check some normal disc pads, you'll see what i mean)

2 That glue is not good enough what so ever

3 The polyurethane is probs too soft

How come i can say this

1 My dad owns EBC, they know disc and pads inisde out

2 I've worked there and am set to inherat it so i got to know what i'm onabout

3 I've tried this with some of my material on a disc i ground

I use epoxy to stick my material on to the pads. Devocon 2 TON! On a disc you have stuiped amoutns of shear on the pad, this stuff never let me down ever ever.

The disc i used was a Hope wavy, Hope will make you any disc you want from what they have made over the ten years stil ltoday which is cool. It's a solid flat surface

I tried it with no grind, plane disc and it worked, how ever i wanted it to be uber powerfull, more than my 203 mono trials (custome order). So i put a grind on the disc, one grind going one way and the other the other. I did this with bolted to an old wheel spining. This was so the brake would grab ether way the wheel went and work. Oh and it did

I use this on a mono min 160 front and it was amazing. I'm still tweaking it all loads and have an agreement in place with Hope on a few things. Te shoesi can get off me Dad @ EBC

I'm away right now and all the pics are on the works laptop so once i'm back i'll sort it out hopefully.

Oh if your going to use super glue you need a primer and the only stuff to use is Loc Tite (sp) stuff

i think ur full of prokies, id like to see proof of your dad owning ebc (Y)http://www.ebcbrakes.com/About%20Us.html proof :D

Edited by Snowy

So your dads name is andy freeman?

Also grinds on discs are shit, they dont work anywhere near as well and shouldn't because disc pads need a smooth surface in order to work to their maximum potential. however if your dad owned ebc brakes i'm sure he would have told you this :lol:

EDIT: Tom beat me to it :(

Edited by Krisboats

Good on you for trying new stuff dude.

I think anyone who has slated it needs to have a go themselves and see if they can do a better job using materials and tools available to him.

Not everyone wants fashion over function.

This looks like it cost less than ~£10, and that is very commendable, especially given the possible lack of decent trials stuff in his part of Russia.

You are hilarious.

Pick one of the above that applies to you/your statement.

you wouldn't want holes in your disc if your using polyurathane they would rip them to shreds

and as for using epoxy resin it dosent grip to polyurathane you can just peel it off with your fingers :S so

using it on a disc pad is a stupid idea, super glue (cyano acrilate) is the best for it. your brake looks mint

mate i was going to try and do the same, maybe try koxx brown or something lol or a realy hard polyurathane

Edited by wad

N.Wood

Yeah... our town is trial-god forsaken town. We don't have trial dillers, no even shops where to buy magura

:(

Our town blocked from other Russia by Poland...

adamtrials

standart rotor is more(or much? :)) heavy

Tested out the brake today... sweet :)

Breaking level is very impressive... i can forget about manuals but say hello to big gaps on front wheel!

some photos soon

Edited by FuZ