Stripping Paint Off My Forks

Bigman

Right

BIG problem, i want to strip the paint off my BT F6 forks, i have tried nitromors and it has barely touched the surface, the paint is very thick and almost like a plastic coat, i need to know quickly how it is possible to remove such paint.

Adam

you can hire sand blasters from HSS. that should do the job or the boring old job of sand paper wet n' dry

JK

EDIT:local garages that do spray painting should have sand blasters. im sure for a few £'s they can sort you out.

I don't realy want to sand/grit blast them as i have done that before and it leaves the surface pitted and hard to polish out as i want to keep the forks silver you see.

Anyone else?

Adam

Hot air paint stripper?

IPB Image

Forgot to say that i have tried that too, nothing seems to happen........

I have also tried scoring the paint and nitromorsing it, as well as sanding it down so it isn't so thick and nitromors still don't want to touch it :(

Adam

Caustic should eat anything.

I remember the paint on my Crescent, it was so tough! Tried 3 different strippers before I found one that did the job of removing the coat on the Crez.. I had to really slap on a lot of stripper onto the frame, and put it in a plastic bag for 30 minutes, and it took 3 or 4 sessions to get rid of the paint.

from my experience caustic soda doesnt effect anything plastic, this includes paint (well, not plastic, but you get the idea)

just keep at it with the nitromoors, buy enough to fill a bucket and bosh the forks in :-

i wouldent use caustic soda if i were you, i tried to strip some paint off my onza vp pedals and it just ate the aluminium and left the paint on there , the cages are about 1mm thick now :S.

just stick with paint stripper, prehaps try different brands B&Q paint stripper seemd to work better than nitromorse for me (its thicker so stays on better)

Find your local powdercoating company, go see them and get them to remove the paint. The company i used did it while i waited, took like 10mins and charged me a whopping great £5 ;)

Either that or acid the bad boys or try 'mangers' paint stripper, its like a thick jelly stuff and is only £6 for 5litres from any leyland paint store. (Y)

from my experience caustic soda doesnt effect anything plastic, this includes paint (well, not plastic, but you get the idea)

just keep at it with the nitromoors, buy enough to fill a bucket and bosh the forks in :-

i have to dissagree with you there, caustic soda will eat plastics if left to do the job, put some caustic soda cyrstals in a bucket with hot water ( speeds up reaction) and leave over night outdoors! and out of harms way, i can garuntee the paint will be gone in the morning.

i have to dissagree with you there, caustic soda will eat plastics if left to do the job, put some caustic soda cyrstals in a bucket with hot water ( speeds up reaction) and leave over night outdoors! and out of harms way, i can garuntee the paint will be gone in the morning.

i can garuntee there will also be no forks left in the bucket , after the caustic soda has eaten the plastic it will eat the alu forks ;)

i had the same problem, in the end i got bored of using stripper, get a drill and a wire brush attachment like this. youll be finished in about 10 minutes. then just sand it down with a finer sandpaper. looks really good when finished. then you just need to lacquer it if you wanted to keep 'em silver. ;)

i can garuntee there will also be no forks left in the bucket , after the caustic soda has eaten the plastic it will eat the alu forks ;)

Lmao, will it bollock :lol:

I have left a rim in it for well over an hour before, did nothing to the metal.