It's A Ratio Revelation!

Davey

Well last night was very productive. I've been running a rather light gear ratio and never thought anything of it, but when it comes to big gaps or big anything really "I can ne' do it cap'n, I don't have the p'wer!"

Some little genuis called Tom sugested trying a harder ratio, so fair play I gave it a whirl and after a bit of getting used to, my god, suddenly everything seemed a little bit smaller, was flippin brilliant!!

So cheers Tom, I still hate you for being too damn good though!!

Davey

Well last night was very productive. I've been running a rather light gear ratio and never thought anything of it, but when it comes to big gaps or big anything really "I can ne' do it cap'n, I don't have the p'wer!"

Some little genuis called Tom sugested trying a harder ratio, so fair play I gave it a whirl and after a bit of getting used to, my god, suddenly everything seemed a little bit smaller, was flippin brilliant!!

So cheers Tom, I still hate you for being too damn good though!!

Davey

That Tom is genius he is, and a bit too good for my liking.

Hopefully your riding will improve lots now you have a decent ratio, dont show me up too much though :(

i had been using 18 14 for ages i thought it was good for going forward at stuff and gave some ret good speed on 3 or 4 pedal run ups. but i have just gone a little easyer to 18 15 and it seems a little better, bit more controlled and easyer to side hop. lost a bit of pedal gap distance but can get up stuff from just a left right run up a lot better.

think i might like to try something between the two, if any of you boffins could come up with a ratio that works out between, 18 14 and 18 15.

rob

Mat ran 22:16 on his stock and then changed to 22:18 and it felt approx. 100 times better (I think it was 22:18... may have been 22:19... either way, much better).

Going back to what Sam said:

22:19 = 0.8636

22:18 = 0.8181

16:13 = 0.8125

So, 16:13's not between the two, just so's you know :)

Mat ran 22:16 on his stock and then changed to 22:18 and it felt approx. 100 times better (I think it was 22:18... may have been 22:19... either way, much better).

Going back to what Sam said:

22:19 = 0.8636

22:18 = 0.8181

16:13 = 0.8125

So, 16:13's not between the two, just so's you know :)

Ah yeah, lightest of them all.

Knew it was something like that. It's been a while since I've even looked at my bike.

Could any of you gear ratio 'know-it-alls' shed some light on the advantages and disadvantages on the different gear ratio's on a mod. I'm looking to try and improve my power moves (especially gaps) without forking out +£100 on some longer cranks, which are also proven to not really make much difference...

Cheers,

Joe.

B)-->

QUOTE(joe b @ Jul 15 2006, 08:05 PM)
Could any of you gear ratio 'know-it-alls' shed some light on the advantages and disadvantages on the different gear ratio's on a mod. I'm looking to try and improve my power moves (especially gaps) without forking out +£100 on some longer cranks, which are also proven to not really make much difference...

Cheers,

Joe.

They made a big, big difference to me? I guess you could go for 18:13, maybe?

And Mat, like last time you know as soon as you go back to a lighter gear you'll be riding better :P