Is Trials Changing

python_man

i've searched the forumn and haven't found anything on this so i thought i might as

what does everyone think has trials changed for the better???

i have noticed watching the videos that are just coming out, that street moves with lots of speed is starting to become more and more common. i'm one of those trials riders that like to be relatively slow and not go into things with a huge pace. i hop around alot and do gaps .

is it just me or is trials starting to go excuse the word "bmxy" it seems that lots of new moves are huge bunnyhops to manuals ect.

i know this sounds stupid but is it just the different types of trials or is the bygone years of little hops and technical moves just descend into trials past.

i'm sorry for this waste of thread space i just wanted to know what people think of the evolving face of trials

sorry again :ermm:

sorry thinking about it its just me being stupid sorry for wasting the space

Edited by python_man

i always thought that trials meant getting around places/obsticals and do it in any meens necessary. like bunny hopping ect. when it comes to manuels i dont think many people do them to get on vids, yes ther is a few but not loads and i normally just think of manuels as a mess about whilst on the way to somewere

Yes i think it has changed alot, all people want to see is big street moves, big gaps, sidehops and hooks they do look good but i think that people aren't riding natural or filming natural in there videos this may because it doesn't look as good but i'm not sure. A really tricky line in natural when acomplished is great but it doesn't always look good as a film, which is a shame as i think natural is really good and should be used more.

Also allot of the bike been made now are Street specific ore street riding inmind for example the Zoos, Gu and Echo.

Also i have found than trials has turned into a fashion show, in that its all about how good your bike looks, i mean yes it is good to have a nice looking bike, but its not all about what it looks like its about the riding and mainly having fun.

The has been a slight BMX element brought into trials mainly in the stock area, which i think does look really good with the manuals, take rowon jones (sorry if that spelt wrong) video called and now that has a good combination of trials and streety manuals.

Trials has changed a lot.

There are loads of people riding street, and because of that many of people are trying BMX style streety techniques and going fast sometimes. However I don't think that thats a bad thing, just because you are going fast doesn't mean you are using less skill, and people are generally incorporating these moves into their normal riding as onzatprodude said.

The main thing to me is that trials should be fun, and if people enjoy doing these fast moves and manuals and things then why not let them do it.

Bob

yes i agree that the videos are mostley bunny hoping n bmx tricks but if you wer watching a video that was a rider shunting around for 3 minutes then don't you think u will be rely bored.

also if you go to a comp hardley anyone use bunny hoping its all tapping etc. all the natural moves.

cheers matt (Y)

Yes trials has changed a lot but not on the same end you are talking about.

When i started trials(about 5 years ago) there wasn't much in the way of trials frames around so we all used dual type frames. I think i had a Claud Butler.

Not having much natural terrain around Inverness we just used the strees for ripping around in, hence the reason i suck at doing rocks and stuff.

I've just started back to trials after about two years off and to my surprise everybody is riding around on these bike that look like bigger versions of mod bikes.

I've always been street riding since i started and if you look back to the older trials videos(Contact, Evolve)

you'll see this is why riders like Ryan Leech are so good.

Bmx influenced trials has always been there.

Riding hasn't changed, just the bikes have.

i do like the new moves out there but i think it is all to "bmxy". i think trials used to be big technical moves like sidehopping and doing huge gaps. but it IS evolving and it seems as if it is returning back to its roots of bmx.

i really enjoy trials riding and i love doing big gaps and tricky lines. but does anyone think it is starting to go in the wrong direction.

i just wanted to know what everybody else thinks about the "New" trials.

is it just me or is trials starting to go excuse the word "bmxy" it seems that lots of new moves are huge bunnyhops to manuals ect.

The problem is, is that there are many variations of trials riding. Slow wheels on the back wheel but also far more "streety" variations...... hence me riding street trials i dont know its hard to describe..... there is comp and there is backwheel and there are bmx... 24", street riding, dirt jumping, XC variations all twisted into trials.... thats its great point you can have your own style

i shall not i shall not be changed i shall not i shall not be changed i shall not i shall not be changed i shall not i shall not be changed lol

YOUR A TWAT f**k OFF THE FORUM!

Just got the trial noir video. oh my god it is completely awesome. Chris Akrigg does tons of manuals and is one of the fastest riders ever, with a huge bmx influence, yet he still comes first and second in natural championship events. Also he is riding a mongoose, which still has a seat and is really big compared to most trials frames around at the moment. I think that different terrains call for different style/speed. I agree that street stuff does look tons better on film though. People like Chris Akrigg are helping the sport evolve through really cool videos, but still rides lots of natural. I think trials is as much about pushing boundaries as anything else.

i do like the new moves out there but i think it is all to "bmxy". i think trials used to be big technical moves like sidehopping and doing huge gaps. but it IS evolving and it seems as if it is returning back to its roots of bmx.

i really enjoy trials riding and i love doing big gaps and tricky lines. but does anyone think it is starting to go in the wrong direction.

i just wanted to know what everybody else thinks about the "New" trials.

I disagree, I think less people do bunnyhops and manuals now. If you look on the video section 90% of videos are taps,gaps and sidehops! Not that here is anything wrong with those moves. I think trials used to be technical moves, but riding anything and 'doing sections' and then went more streety with manuals bunnyhops and stuff about 5 years and now is more about just BIG moves.

I would love to see someone like tunni try something different and maybe ride smaller stuff but try and flow through more lines, rather than single moves. He could probably do some beast ones too!

EDIT: there is always going to be riding trends in trials, some moves will fall in and out of fashion and so will bike set ups as well. Having different styles of trials is a good thing imo

Edited by leedstrials

Don't say your post is a waste of space - this is a forum and thats what it's all about - making topics and posting in them. Don't do it again.

Trials is changing, and it's changing in a way which really annoys me. Most of the new videos are just total shit, with strong people riding their Pythons (more often than not) for even more power. Most of the riding is power-oriented, so the bigger the moves, the cooler you are and the more people admire you.

But where has style gone to? Very few people have a style - among about 30 people I've ridden with in the UK, it's only Chai and Staples (yeah, good examples lol), maybe Neil because he's getting incredibly smooth and his riding looks effortless. But most of the remaining riders are just powerhorses and the only things they can do is to sidehop 4 feet and gap 8-9 feet. Most riders are also crazy about tucking their sidehops. I mean, alright it makes things much easier but how much does it take to tuck a 40" wall on a stock bike? We've got people over here which do +47" on a stock and don't need to tuck it - they don't even know how.

Just look at the videos - it's only gaps and sidehops, and the better rider will do a front wheel up onto a rail. IMO non-UK videos are a breath of fresh air because the riding is much more interesting and stylish. The majority of British videos is just dropgaps. I hate that more than anything else unless it's a CLS or Neil video - but they set new limits so that's different. Look at TRA's videos - he uses all the techniques that have been invented in trials, and doesn't concentrate on doing just one of them. And the riding spots are much more interesting - not only walls walls walls.

Like OBM once wrote - trials is not going to progress if people keep doing front wheel ups onto roadside rails.

edit: in one sentence: I don't give a shit about how high people jump, I'm interested in how nicely it's done.

Edited by Inur