Zona Zip Frames

Joel G

Iv'e got one. In my opinion one off the best 20" frames out, and at £170 deleverd next day you can't go wrong.

You can't be serious that the Zona are one of the best frames out, think man: Koxx XTP, Echo Team, Echo Lite. I've heard that many Zona's are breaking with the Downtube, and many other places. But never heard of an XTP or Team that are broken yet (20")

I've seen various tubes get torn off the XTP frames, and also seen them crack in various places too. They're not a particularly strong frame, and the tubing's so thin it means if you give it any abuse it just breaks, pretty much. The Team frames are pretty good, but it's a different kettle of fish really, especially when you take into account the prices. In terms of how they actually ride, I'd say the Zona was one of the nicest riding frames out there. The slightly higher BB means that even though it's a relatively long frame it still feels flicky and nimble, and means it's better for moves to front wheel, but the length of the bike also means it remains stable and it's still nice to ride natural on. It's just a nice all-round frame, and seeing as how cheap they are now, they're a good investment.

I've only seen one Zip break, and that was an early prototype someone bought off a guy who'd been testing it. How many more have you seen break on here?

New members acctually know nothing at all.

well i cant really comment as i dont ride one and i dont ride 26", but i did ride a adament once and that felt very fliky to me and i ride mod.

hope it helps

Why would that help?? :blink:

ive teat ridden one before there nice like mark said flicky bikes becouse of the shortness

They are one of the longest frames goin'.

You can't be serious that the Zona are one of the best frames out, think man: Koxx XTP, Echo Team, Echo Lite. I've heard that many Zona's are breaking with the Downtube, and many other places. But never heard of an XTP or Team that are broken yet (20")

I've only seen one broken Zona, and it was the prototype, and I've seen many XTP's snapped.

And many other places? like on the massive CNC chunks? and the huge drop outs? yuuup...

OH DEAR.

Mat

Sorry i have't read all the posts but some of them are utter sh*te! People giving advice that they know f*ck all about.

The zip frames are great value for money, they are very strong and basically perfect for somone who is still leaning. The length of the frame at 1040 lends its self well to a taller rider than some of the other mods out there, but this does not mean that a smaller person wouldn't do well on it.

Who ever it was saying that it wasnt one of the best because of the XTP and Echo team and stuff is stupid. The tubing on the xtp is 1.2mm - so thin that you can dent it with your bear hands. It is deliberately designed this way so that it is light, but it is a SERIOUS comp frame, not ideal for a person who is still learning moves. So basically what i am saying is maybe your view is something along the lines of, more expensive = better. But personally i can't of a better value frame than the zip. Cheap, strong and good geometery.

If you are looking for a second hand one then there are a couple of guys selling - I think onzaboymark is selling, and also danny swindlehurst... However if you decide you want one you MUST NOT make any kind of deal on here until your validated, or you will be warned my a mod/admin. So do your deals over msn or something (Y)

Sorry i have't read all the posts but some of them are utter sh*te! People giving advice that they know f*ck all about.

The zip frames are great value for money, they are very strong and basically perfect for somone who is still leaning. The length of the frame at 1040 lends its self well to a taller rider than some of the other mods out there, but this does not mean that a smaller person wouldn't do well on it.

Who ever it was saying that it wasnt one of the best because of the XTP and Echo team and stuff is stupid. The tubing on the xtp is 1.2mm - so thin that you can dent it with your bear hands. It is deliberately designed this way so that it is light, but it is a SERIOUS comp frame, not ideal for a person who is still learning moves. So basically what i am saying is maybe your view is something along the lines of, more expensive = better. But personally i can't of a better value frame than the zip. Cheap, strong and good geometery.

If you are looking for a second hand one then there are a couple of guys selling - I think onzaboymark is selling, and also danny swindlehurst... However if you decide you want one you MUST NOT make any kind of deal on here until your validated, or you will be warned my a mod/admin. So do your deals over msn or something (Y)

ok thanks that realy helped thanks.

joel (Y)

I dont really think much of zona zips or any mod bike really, so I think you should just get a stock bike :- . You should get something like a coustellier something long but with not much bb rise. You would proberbly have potential on that bike aswel, seeing that every mod you ride it cracks lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have and intermediate level of practice, I ride a echo team 2003, and i want to buy a new frame.

I'm searching a mod frame wich is more stable on rear wheel than my echo team 03.*

anyway...looking at the zona zip geometry i'm thinking to buy one of those.

But i have some question about it:

1) I heard that the bb thread is weak: is it correct?

2) what is the weight of this frame?

3) these ugly green zona logos are painted? or it's stickers?

yea got mine now its great.. amazing on the back wheel and well worth the money!

and no there no way wak!

not sure about the weight but i know they are light, especially for the size of them.

and they are stickers, but there no way ugly... lol well im going to get some custom ones made anyway...

Edited by Willsey

yea got mine now its great.. amazing on the back wheel and well worth the money!

and no there no way wak!

not sure about the weight but i know they are light, especially for the size of them.

and they are stickers, but there no way ugly... lol well im going to get some custom ones made anyway...

how much time do you use your zona?

have you notice a bb thread weakness?

do you think it's possible to remove these stickers?

The Zona frames do seem quite heavy.

Not sure on the exact weight. - Maybe Mark will weigh his, if he'd be so kind... :)

I love my Zona. Feels the perfect length to me. (I'm 5' 11")

Just sits on the backwheel nicely, and is nice and flicky. Just goes where I want it to.

From having a T-Pro frame before, the Zona does feel different, but in a good way. My Zona's wheelbase is 40mm longer than my T-Pro was. T-Pro had standard forks, Zona has Echo Lites/Easy's.

It doesn't feel mega long though, becuase of the slightly high BB on it. The short chainstays makes it so nice on the backwheel, and flicky. - As i've already mentioned.

It's strong too. Mine's got a small dent in the downtube, becuase of me twatting it on some solid wall!

No cracks or anything! - Surprising for an Onza. :P

Yes the stickers are horrid, and they're lacqured on. There is a topic somewhere telling you how to get them off both coloured frames. - I tried this, and buggered it up. So I sprayed mine. ;)

No point in not buying the frame, just 'cause it has 'gash' stickers. Just go for what you think suits you best, then lose the stickers if you buy one.

As someone else has said in the topic, £170 for these is a steal!

Mine took around 1-2weeks to get delivered, but that was from Supercycles afterall. :P

Was very happy when it came though. No scratches or anything!

thanks dan for your detailed answer.

I just hope someone knows the weight. To see if it is reasonable.

I can read in your answer that zona is easy on the back wheel....

can you tell me if zona is also good for backwheel to frontwheel movements?

have you heard of this problem of bb thread?

thanks a lot!

Why would you say those frames are better then a zip? Because of the price? The world Class riders promoting them? A zona is a hell of alot stronger then a xtp ever would be. Imo a best frame is a number of things, Strength. Cost. Durability. And how it rides, the zona rides beautifully its as cheap as chips and is strong as hell. If it had a koxx sticker on it, it'd be a hell of alot more popular. If you havent heard of any xtp's breaking you arent looking very far, dozens have snapped and a few echo teams have cracked at the brake mount. 1 Zona has snapped. The prototype which had completely different tubing. (Y) Bottom line. zona's are awesome

Edited by matt!