Surely It Can't Work..?

aener

I was just watching a BMX video, and one of the guys rides forwards and stops pedalling.

Naturally enough, he carries on going (thanks to the wonder that is the freewheel :) ), but then he does an endo, he comes back down from it and rolls backwards.

You'd expect him to have to pedal backwards or he'd stop, but nooooo... he's special and just rolls without moving his feet atall :blink:

1) How?! :S

2) If he's got 2 freewheels or something funky like that, how does it engage when he pedals?

If you're to answer, please don't tell me "I don't know but I know what you're on about" - that leaves me no closer to an answer than where I started. ...But thanks for the thought :P

I'd like to know exactly how it works please :)

Ie, how he can coast both forwards and backwards without pedalling, yet it still engages and moves him forward when he DOES pedal?

Thanks a lot if you know...

I'm baffled >_<

Flipp

(I don't need to know I'm just really curious now)

The things are quite complicated. They work on a clutch system and dont have a ratcheting mechanism.

I will give a go at explaining it.

Basically the system works on a thread when you pedal forwards the clutch turns on the thread to the drive side and this propells the bike forwards.

When you roll backwards the clutch unscrews to then non drive side. So you dont need to pedal backwards.

hope you understand.

They cost around 100 pounds upwards.

Edited by lardo_69

Surely if it's spinning round on a thread, there'll come a time when you can't roll back/pedal forwards any more?

I think I understand the main concept of it, but not much more than that I'm afraid...

If it's running on a thread, how come it doesn't hit the end and stop - or hit the other end and fall off? (if it's open on one end)

EDIT: OH!!! Just re-read it and I think I understand...

Not positive though, so any more detailed explainations wouldn't go amiss

(Not saying yours was bad Lardo_69 :) )

Edited by Flipp

These things intrigue me. A few years ago I just assumed v-dub in JIB was a god or something!

So are they suitable for a trials bike? I don't remember ever seeing a trials rider using one...

Some of the MTB guys have a gap in their cassette where it's just a spacer instead of a cog, so they change onto that so the chain just slides over it, giving a freecoaster effect.

The problem with freecoasters is that if you bend the axle slightly, you're buggered. With pegs, this always happens. KHE have just made the Geisha street freecoaster which seems to work pretty well, and uses little axle studs instead. Premium are making one that works like a normal freehub/cassette, but the whole mechanism moves apart or something...