I've Made These Mistakes So You Don't Have To

Heatsink

Hmmm,

A more thoughtful post possibly. I was browsing Wikipedia the other day, reading about the classic TV series Airwolf I used to watch based around an amazing helicopter. Wikipedia throws up answers to questions I didn't know existed! As I browsed one thread after another about stars from the past, I noticed how many of them have such sad existances following the end of their prime years behind the lens.

For example, the ultra-cool pilot actor on Airwolf sped on the end of his career due to alcohol problems, and is now an old soak (N) It's underlined to me again about the importance of not letting alcohol take an increasingly large hold on your life as you take on the challenges that come your way. The chap was very fortunate to have an amazing job which should have meant an enjoyable early retirement, a luxery the majority of us are unlikely to enjoy.

On the other hand, I had a look at what "Mahony", Steve Guttenberg, from the Police Academy films (There's a new Police Academy coming out in 2007 reuniting the original start would your believe!) was upto nowadays. He was one of the best paid actors of the 80s, and amassed a huge fortune. Having so much money puts a burden of responsibility on you I imagine - much more than your fair share which could do so much good for others or be wasted. Maybe even too much to spend in the style of George Best ("Most of my money went on women and fast cars, the rest I just squandered") I was impressed with how he's turned the next stage of his life into one of philanthropy (being charitable / good causes). Whatever you think of Bill Gates, respect must be given for the next stage of his career which he's now entered, one of running a huge charitable fund.

I was wondering what examples from other people's lives have particularily struck a chord with you and made you resolute to avoid certain errors in life, or conversely have inspired you to make an effort in certain positive directions.

Steve

P.S. My main charitable act is sponsoring the training of guide dogs for the blind. The incredibly grateful notes from the lucky recipients are particularily poignant!

Thanks to various friends, I've learnt not to trust women, they just mess you around. Then again, I'm sure they would say the same thing about blokes...its just a case of misunderstanding on both sides.

And thanks to the lad that was driving the car in the crash I was involved in a few weeks ago, I've learnt to slow the hell down in my car, and not think you're invincible when you're driving...because you're far from it.

...this could potentially be a very interesting topic, good thinking Steve (Y)

I tend to learn alot from Music.

A good, well written song will lead to into to soul of the artist.

The best ammo for a well written song is past injury.

There are alot of lines from songs that stick with me, and help me get by.

"No-ones really there fighting for you in the last garison.

No-one except yourself that is, no-one except you.

You are the one who's got your back 'til the last deeds done.

Scott can't have my back til the absolute end,

because hes got to look out for what over his horizon.

He's gotta to make sure he's not lonely, not broke.

It's enough to worry about keeping his own head above. "

"ill never be who you want me to be, Youll never see the Beauty I see"

I could go on forever.

Using Others Mistakes is good, but nothing teaches you like getting your own experience.

Fall in love, and get nothing

Find riches and loose it all

loosing those around you.

Failure is the best teacher

Thanks to an incident a while back I have understood that people will always be more important than one's passion, and that we should always think about others before we think about ourselves. Kind of obvious, but only now do I realize that despite knowing that, I very often thought only about myself.

Nothing will last forever, so live your life in such a way so as not to regret what you have or haven't done in the past. There's nothing worse than to know you were given the chance to do something but didn't.

And at last, "thanks" to a tragic accident 2 years back (in which 2 of my mates were killed) I understand that no death is a statistic but a traumatic experience for family members and friends (sometimes hundreds of people). I understand that my relatives won't be around forever and that each day could be the last day I will see them.

edit: Enjoy college, uni is no longer as fun. I'd love to go back to college.

Edited by Inur

This'll sound very corny I'm sure....

DO YOUR HOMEWORK FOLKS!!!!! I'm 22 now so not that experienced in life etc... but if I could go back and do one thing again, it would be to go through school and college again to reach my potential in everything. Luckly I managed to get onto the course I wanted but I really realy regret not trying my very hardest in every subject at school. I was obsessed with music at the time and practiced the instruments I play every second so I'm now a very succesful musician (luckly). But if I didn't have music, I'm not sure what I'd do at all.

Learn things properly and through and through, not just the things you're interested in, force yourself to learn and revise things from school and college (not just before an exam), if you learn things like that the knowlege will stick with you all your life without you having to re learn it. You will be the inteligent person in pub quizes and the person everyone wants to talk to at parties. Understand now that knowlege is cool.

Aim to learn everything about the things that you're interested in, talk to people who are good at whatever you want to improve on and find out what they do that makes them so good at it. You might find out somthing from them that you're not doing or could do better - like a missing link in the chain. (I'm doing that with trials riding at the moment so sorry for hassling you all!)

Enjoy every second folks!!!

flippen eck that was deep. :lol:

Edited by drumhitter

Learn who you're real friends are!!

U'll know when things get tough because they'll be there for you!

I thought my so called friends were cool, they smoked weed, and i thought "heck why not!"

They then convinced me to do soooo much that they decided to take advantage of me being chonged and dared me to steal a wallet which had 350 quid in it.. and get fat munch and a load more green, i did this.. and got caught right at the end..

I believed no-one could like me now, but realized all the people i left behind before these people were still there for me and are now.. they encourage me to stay well away whenever i'm tempted, and also keep in touch with my parents to let them know how i'm doing!

i'm not saying you will do what the bad people say, i was just naive enough to believe it was cool, and they were friends!

EDIT: Sorry to who-ever this may have offended! If some do smoke weed..

Edited by Up'n'away

I cant say how much, i regret not revising for ALL my exams. I just wasted one year of my life, having to retake english. Im not joking, i spent my entire of year 11 being jack the lad, messing around, i really regret this. I was a A student and i got like 1 b, and 3 c's and the rest d's.

REVISE DAMNIT! AND STOP MESSING AROUND!

a few weeks back my friend got murdered by her boyfriend, that made me think alot :( like not being able to say bye and stuff-its made me appreciate what friends i have now thats for sure, infact im closer than ever to alot of them, basically, its made me learn the importance of letting the people around me know how much they mean :) her death was a harsh reminder of that, i hate for anybody to go through that kind of experience :(

if a satellite was traveling that fast, i would be worried and would probably duck... lol

A shooting star travels at around 30,000mph, whilst a satellite travels at around 100mph... lol

Oh right :lol:

Maby they all were shooting stars then... Nah f**k that, you dont see about 10 shooting stars in the space of an hour.

UFO's!

Edited by Jaffacakes

if a satellite was traveling that fast, i would be worried and would probably duck... lol

A shooting star travels at around 30,000mph, whilst a satellite travels at around 100mph... lol

Low orbit satellites travel at 27,000 km/h, or Mach 23 (give or take) and high orbit satellites have an orbit time of under 130 minuites to circle the entire earth. If you find somewhere with no light polloution and watch the sky, satellites move at a serious pace accross the sky, many times faster you see a plane go accross the sky, well... unless thy're geosynchronous.

Things that are a good idea when drunk, generally are not.

Thats probs the most universally accurate one yet lol :turned:

Low orbit satellites travel at 27,000 km/h, or Mach 23 (give or take) and high orbit satellites have an orbit time of under 130 minuites to circle the entire earth. If you find somewhere with no light polloution and watch the sky, satellites move at a serious pace accross the sky, many times faster you see a plane go accross the sky, well... unless thy're geosynchronous.

Thats probs the most universally accurate one yet lol :turned:

Well... I made that assumption when I was living out of england and its hard core shitty yellow street lights.

Least I was right ;)

ok, maybe i was a little out on the speeds :P but put it this way...

a shooting star is 1 grain of sand that is traveling VERY quick (put very cause dont know exact speed...) and it crosses through the earths atmosphere, causing it to "light up" or glow... thats the stars you can see... but. you can only see it for a split second, cause they are travelling so quick.

Alot of people may not agree with this but it did make me think quite alot.

I feel there is no use in just saving as much money as you can and just keeping it in the bank just for peice of mind. I was in this situation ther other night where i had been working all summer holidays full time and found myself with quite alot saved up and being the person i am, i thought just save it, until i found a few things that i would like ( mp3, clothes, shoes etc..). I asked my mum for advice and she explained to me that my grandad has alot of money stored away but one day said to her that he was jealous of the way my parents live, they are not rich, but live a rich life, he wished that he had done more with his money and enjoyed himself fullfilling all his dreams with the money he had worked for, but now he is too old to do them.. She said that she would write me a cheque for 1000 pounds and it would mean nothing until i actually started spending it, money isnt anything until you enjoy it. Its hard to put it into words the way i think about it but i think you can grasp the idea, ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE WORKED FOR!

Also, like many others have said, i have lost people i loved and it really did make me want to appreciate the people i have around me and the support they give. Live life to the full..

Good topic!

Aaron.

Edited by b'mouth trials