Medical Time

smelly joe

Okay, well tomorrow i have my medical for the royal navy but the thing is i dont have a friggin clue what it includes :(

dont suppose anyone on here has ever had to go for a medical for any sort of reason and could enlighten me could they?

this is my last step for gaining entry, so i sort of want to know what im going to be expecting.

cheers people

Words from my cousins mouth who is in the commandos...

'f**kin' horrible'

Can't remember exactly what he said happens in them but I think they check muscles, glands, pressure points, teeth, eyes, blood, urine. Theres a lot of 'squeezing and poking'.

And of course...the old drop and cough.

i was waiting for that, but i heard they dont do it anymore, or are the voices in my head telling me things again :P

great, wonder if the navy's will be any easyier going, hope so!

The medical will start with a basic screening. This will involve measuring your height and weight, eye test including colour vision, hearing test and breathing test. Those individuals who are heavier than predicted will have further testing performed to ensure that you are muscularly built rather than fat.

The doctor will confirm your medical history and ask you to undress down to your underwear. A chaperone will be made available during your medical examination if requested. This is normally a member of the ADSC medical centre. A female chaperone routinely accompanies any female applicants who is examined by a male doctor.

The doctor will carry out an extensive examination including an assessment of your joints and muscles. You will be asked to perform functional tests such as hopping, jumping, squats and press-ups to ensure that you are medically fit for arduous training. Male applicants will have their scrotum checked to ensure that they do not have a hernia or testicular swelling that requires investigation. This is because that significant scrotal swelling can cause pain and discomfort if performing a large amount of physical exercise and therefore such conditions need to be treated before starting training.

Female applicants may have a breast examination as part of the medical and no applicant will an internal examination of any form. There is no requirement for blood tests or vaccinations during this medical. However, you may have to go for further tests or investigations if anything significant is found during your medical.

Recruits are expected to have an adequate level of dental health. There is no dental inspection at ADSC, although some individuals with very poor dental health may be deferred at their medical until they have received adequate treatment.

haha, well its official, im gay enough to join :P

seriously though, i passed with flying colours and i didnt even have to drop and cough, although i had to stand there in just my boxers and be examined for marks and scars ect.

although the person who had a medical for the marines had to so maybe its just the marines.

the ear beep test was a b*****d, it was so quite, i thought it would be louder