1934 Jowett Long 7

RobinJI

Well my friend Alan (Fathopper) is doing this up as a restoration project, It belonged to his dad, and is a 1934 Jowett long 7, the 7 standing for the horsepower, i think its about 800kg. the frame of the body is made from ash, while the chassis is steel. engine size is about 0.9L I think, its form the days of the horsepower tax, so has a long stroke low reving engine to get as low horsepower as posible so while 7hp sounds just stupid in a 800kg car, its preaty high torque. Tops out at about 40mph I think.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

• Like 1

A car that old must have absolutely tons of history

Yeah, It was his grandads first car I think, then was passed to his dad, and now him. He's doing it up in memory of his dad, who was an absolute legend and always up for a bit of roadtripping with our bikes in there camper :rolleyes: . So yeah, its very much a personal thing, I don't think he'd care what car it was, he'd still be restoring it.

That'll be nice when its done :) . Are those the ones with flat twin engines, or am I imagining things?

Yep, sure are the ones!

And yeah, he wants to keep it as original as posible, so its gotta be a long 7 engine, not gunna be any changes there.

Edit: Smo, somehow I doubt I'm gunna tell him not to bother doing up his dads old car in his memory, what did you expect from a pre-war car anyway??

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...
  • Like 1

I am also fat hoppers and Dont you just hate etc...'s mate, so ill try and help along the way but I currently have little knowledge about cars but will soon be learning more on my college course :)

o, and also, the other guy doing some work in the photos is andy, the owner of our local bike shop, hes a legend too :D

Edited by MC-Bolo!

• 6 months later...

Well been a long time since Ive posted in this topic, So just thought I'd update you lot on the progress, its been pretty slow going but its getting there, Over the past 6 months I've rewired the thing twice over, just to get it right and because I kept cutting wires too short and using the wrong connectors, but after 4 days solid work in this easter holiday I can finally say that all wires are in place and most things are working now, Ill get some photos/videos tomoz of some working features including the pop out trafficators, the horn, and lights, mean while heres a few photos take quite some time ago one from the 90's and one from the 60's and a few of my pimping spoked alloys ...

post-7316-1175804174_thumb.jpg

post-7316-1175804186_thumb.jpg

post-7316-1175804196_thumb.jpg

post-7316-1175804206_thumb.jpg

post-7316-1175804234_thumb.jpg

post-7316-1175804500_thumb.jpg

post-7316-1175804512_thumb.jpg

I saw a car like that being used as a wedding car today. I bet they payed a decent amount. Have you any grand plans for yours?

I don't know really main thing is to get it back on the road and working, restore it to classic as far as it was when my dad had it, which was pretty good most things were original but due to lots of sparks and smoke unforunately the wiring wont be as orginal but it will be mostly the same as the original factory diagram. As for the engine kinda mixed between orignal working parts and parts off another aquired engine. I guess the Jowett slogan is true, "Jowetts Never Wear Out They Get Passed On To The Next Of Kin"

0-40?

Very very late 20 seconds I would have thought?

Looks like it'll be a while before it hits the top of it's RPM range however, if it ever does! He may wish to keep it as a show car.

Gotta love classic vehicles (Y)

Edit : Are these quite a desirable motor, very rare?

Edited by deanie-b

QUOTE(deanie-b @ Apr 6 2007, 12:40 AM)
0-40?

Very very late 20 seconds I would have thought?

Looks like it'll be a while before it hits the top of it's RPM range however, if it ever does! He may wish to keep it as a show car.

Gotta love classic vehicles (Y)

Edit : Are these quite a desirable motor, very rare?

Yeah its going to be a show car, and as for the rarity althought there were quite a few made back in 1934, there are quite a few variations on the body etc for this car used to be a soft top family saloon, now instead of the soft top it has a hardtop sun roof, so this is not rare but there is not many around with this feature if you get my drift according to a friend of my dad, he's only ever seen two or three Long sevens in use one of them including this one.

Looks like it should be fun

Me and the missus are using a car similar to that for our wedding, we getting a restored 1937 Rolls Royce, HERE, go to gallery pictures, 3rd row down, pic on right, red and black

old cars look sweet when they are done properly

Frooty

Edited by fruitbat

QUOTE(deanie-b @ Apr 6 2007, 09:45 PM)
In never ;).

You'd need a f**king big hill (Y)

ha.

All the same, beautiful vehicle :)

Big hill or steep cliff, although Ive heard storys of the car climbing 1:2(well as close to steep as it can go) ratio hills, not sure what it would be like going down it, although during that paticular journey getting up that hill some where up in the midlands it blew one of the honeycomb structures in the radiator, this car has lots of history

Edited by fathopper