The Bell Law

Tom_

I think bikes with gears under a certain ratio (i.e not capable of much speed), with no saddles should be allowed on the pavement.

I don't

Bikes on the pavement are a hazard - they don't cause many deaths but I'm sure theres a lot of minor injuries that go unreported and they definitely get in the way.

I think we should go the way they have in holland - the exact order of escapes me for now but basically in order of importance on the roads (as in who can cut out in front of who) it goes a little something like this...

trams (stop for no man)

pedestrians

bikes

cars (stop for everyone)

The real problem is that it just isn't safe to be on the roads on a bike - I'd rather pay the fines than get run over so I don't ride on busy roads, I definitely don't go near roundabouts and use the pavement at junctions. I'll use a cycle path if it's there but to be honest im a little shy of doing that on really busy roads and still won't go near a roundabout.

If it were made safer to use the roads - and I don't mean 2 foot wide cycle paths painted onto the gutter on A roads - cyclists would be a lot happier on the road and there'd be a lot less trouble with bikes on the pavement.

It may be a bit of a pisser for motorists to start with but it's no more mental than insisting cyclists have a bell so they can perform an illegal act more safely.

Of course the other (easier) option is to allow cyclists on the pavement but have a 10mph speed limit - enforced with fines and a quick clip round the ear from the local bobby

i find all this stupid. They will say our cranks ar eto small and bars to wide soon. I remember when i had my toxsin and got pulled over for no lights and seat and when i explaind the bars are oversized so the lights will not fit and the frame is to low to pedal sitting down he told me i was being cheeky and said he was going to take my bike to the police station.

Thats the last he saw from me. hehe.

Yesterday I was cycling along going about 20, then a granny stepped out infront of me about 5 foot away, luckily my bike was fitted with a bell, and insted of having to steering i rang my little bell, she then heard the tiny bell and in the fraction of a second before I would have plowed her down, she threw down her zimmerframe, and pulled a jetpack out of her utility belt and flew out of my way.

This is a pirfect example of how bells will be usefull.

Edit: Maybe instead they could just aim those green cross coad ads at the people who think cyclists are a hazard, because they obviosly don't know it if they think that.

IPB Image

might work???

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

IPB Image

that is brilliant

in theory it ought to be safe on the roads in cambridge, it's a very bike friendly town with all the cycle paths and special crossings and everything - the problem is partly the volume of traffic and partly that the cycle paths are part of the road.

I would have squashed a girl on a bike during my driving lesson as i was moving into the left lane at traffic lights last night if the nice instructor man hadn't reminded me about my left mirror - she did nothing wrong, had lights on, was in the cycle lane etc. This particular incident was due to me being shit at driving but there's no shortage of careless/shit drivers out there and they generally dont have an instructor in the car to remind them.

If there was a kerb in the way I wouldn't have been anywhere near her whether I'd checked my mirror or not

Edited by poopipe