Too Old To Start Riding Trials?

olli

Hi,

I'm 23 years old and I've been riding XC for some time now and skateboard for some years back when i was young and trials riding caught my interest in the last weeks.

After visiting some websites and watching some videos I just went out and tried the basics and it's so much fun although I'm not into any advanced tricks yet. But what I'm asking myself is if it's a good idea to start riding trials in the age of 23. I know that you should continue with something if you enjoy it and I don't mind riding with younger people either but what about health and the learning curve? The older you are the longer it takes to learn new things, though i don't consider myself as old (only if i look at the age poll in this forum ;)). Is there any chance to learn some advanced tricks? Trials just "feels" right for me at the moment and i think i could manage it to learn some decent stuff. Just wanted to ask if there are other riders out there who started in such a "high" age and managed some advanced stuff.

Olli

you're never too old

julien from trashzen started at 25 - he's pretty damn good despite his advanced years (34 now i think)

i started at 25 - I'm shit

there's a chap near me who's only recently started at age 41- remains to be seen how good he gets

in terms of health...

You'll need to be careful of your wrists and ankles particularly - they don't fix anything like as quickly as they did when you were 15 and have an annoying tendency to sprain from what seems like silly little drops.

personally i think you are never to old to do do anything unless its something reali stupid and you have grey hair! also i belive in startin in new diffrent kind of bike riding if you want to such as, bmx to XC for example, no reason why you shouldnt start trials, loads of new stuff to learn and do!

i think you should defiently continue because i started at about christmas when i was twenty im 21 now ,

i dont think that true about u picking things up slowly at our age because i have picked thing up pretty rapidly

i think it has more to do with the amount of practice you put in and deadication

good luck with your riding (Y)

Hi Olli,

I'm of the opinion that you are never too old.

I'm in a very similar position to you:

I've been riding XC for about 20 years. I raced DH for about 4 years here in Scotland [stopped not through age or health but because the series was so badly organised it was a waste of money].

I skated for about 15 years. Had to quit that one because my knees couldn't take it anymore.

I've always been into street riding but never really called it 'trials'.

Decided about 1 month ago to get a trials specific bike as I was getting really into the more trials orientated street stuff. I'm lucky enough to have a job that pays well enough to allow me to afford a decent bike.

I started riding 'proper' trials stuff in this last month, and having a great time!

I'm 34.

Sure, I'm not quite as bendy as I used to be. Sure I have to be a bit more careful about hurting myself. But I like to think that with age comes common sense.

When you're young you can do stupid things, and if it doesn't work you tend to bounce back pretty fast.

When you're my age, you think a bit longer about big stuff and have a much less gung-ho approach. Preservation through common sense!

Ultimately, it's all about doing what you enjoy. I'm never going to be a great trials rider but I will be a good one. As long as I can go out every night and learn new stuff, and feel like I've achieved something AND had a good time, then that's all you can ask for really.

It's never too late... unless you THINK it is. Keep an open mind and a sensible approach and just have a good time. However old you are, there will always be someone older out there doing the same thing.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris.

Hi,

great forum, thanks for all your fast answers! I'm glad that there are so many riders out there who were or who are in the same situation and you kept on riding because you just enjoyed it, no matter how old and how good. The postings are really pushing me right now, can't wait to get outside and ride, I just have to wait until the rain has finally stopped here.

Thanks for your helpful opinions,

Olli

well done dude nice to know that trials is spreading into a wider market place!!!!

i love trials but never have enough time for it with work an stuff but got my order

coming throo to fix up my bike so ill b back out - if you eva want a hand with anything

just bell up on here its an overactive forum so youll always have quick replys compared

to other places lol

keep it up dude!!!!

You are never too old.

Martyn Ashton is pretty old is he's still going strong.

Its not about how good you get, it's about if you enjoy it or not

Go out and have fun (Y):D

Also at first wear shin pads. :)

And always wear a helmet.

Edited by _CRED_

I am 36 and began riding because i was sick of just watching my little lad, I ride mr haws's old bike and she's a bute. I however am crap but it is the best fun you can have on 2 wheels,

bring on the grandads of trials (Y)

YOU ARE NEVER TO OLD just get on and do it.

P.S. It bloody hurts for a couple of days afterwards but get the missus to give you a good rub down and all is well.

you're never too old

julien from trashzen started at 25 - he's pretty damn good despite his advanced years (34 now i think)

i started at 25 - I'm shit

there's a chap near me who's only recently started at age 41- remains to be seen how good he gets

in terms of health...

You'll need to be careful of your wrists and ankles particularly - they don't fix anything like as quickly as they did when you were 15 and have an annoying tendency to sprain from what seems like silly little drops.

hi i'm that 41 year old.

i'm lovin it.

infact i'm a professional bodyworker yoga/pilates teacher and i find trials riding to be such a healthy thing to do!

body mind and soul!!!!!!