Selfmade Breakpads

mitleifcreisis

I make and test brake pads for iolo, we are now on the 8th compound, we have found two that work REALY well so you might be able to buy them soon.

IPB Image

can I have some? does any work on a smooth rim? need a good pad for smooths rimm and light grinds. with out forking out like £20 every week!

can I have some? does any work on a smooth rim? need a good pad for smooths rimm and light grinds. with out forking out like £20 every week!

not too sure about on a smooth rim, I am using yellows on my 24" bmx, but thats on annodised rims, they work as well as my disk!!! not so sure they will be great in thee wet.

get in touch with iolo about buying some (Y)

Breakpads are too expensiv. A lot of money for a bit of polyurathene

You aren't paying for the material alone.. You're paying for the research that goes into finding the ideal compound. You're paying for the labour that goes into making the pads. You're paying for the service.

To be honest I firstly couldn't be bothered to go to all the effort of finding and buying the material and then making it all and secondly I wouldn'ttrust a brake pad that I'd made!! It is a bloody important part of the bike afterall!!

what a bunch of crap. urethane is cheap and plentiful. find someone in the uk that does urethane casting, molded urethane parts or even some sort of supply warehouse like mcmaster. these services are not very high tech or rare...look at thomasnet.com - there are like 800 companies listed in the entire us that do this sort of thing.

no one that makes brake pads knows anything about it when they start, and after that it's still extremely trial and error and empirical. your chances of finding a good material are just as good as anyone else's.

I have never understood the secreacy to the whole "where do you get material from". I know companies have better things to do than be bombarded with trials riders asking for stupidly small amounts of material, or maybe being cheaky enough to ask for freebies. But at the end of the day if more people are out there looking maybe we will hit upon a perfect compound. Ah well.. i guesse its all down to people wanting to make money at the end of the day.