Cleaning Rims?

trialsguru

muc-off, sh1t shifter something that is actually brake friendly and gets rid of the residue of soap (if you have just cleaned your bike)

lewis

Ye that stuff is awesome it is specially designed for it as well so it is all good, does cost a bit but it is worth it. Also the superbike equivalents to muc-off work really well as they are made to remove road grime which is pretty similar to the rubbish you get coated round your rim (Y)

I used white spirit, and a bit of paper towel,And that worked really well. Its surprising how much sh!t comes off what looks like a clean rim.......

Bad idea on a clean rim, white spirits will leave a film of crap and your brake might seem fine initially but it will soon become shite again because of the residue it leaves.

Boumsongs right with the pledge, though any furniture polish will do. It cleans all the crap off and then leaves the rim completely clean and dry. I used to do it all the time with my smooth rim and plazmatics and it instantly brought them back up to an amazing level.

Pledge didn'#t take the tar off my rim just made my rim all slippy! Your better off using white spirit to take all the tar and shite off swiftly followed by washing up liquid to get rid of the white spirit residue then water just for good measure! worked well for me anyway!

Willl pledge (or similar) work if you got maggy oil on your rim >_< and will it take tar off?

More than likely wont get tar off unless its like industrial strength mr sheen, and i would imagine it'll get maggie oil off though i've never tried.... never been gormless enough to get it on my rim :P.

EDIT: For soem reason i was under the belief this was for smooth rims, pledge works well on smooth rims, hose works well on grinds... dunno why i thought it was for smooth rims, i guess last night is taking its toll on me :(

Edited by Krisboats

Anything oil-based will leave a residue behind that'll gunk up horribly when it rains. Alcohols and detergents are the cleaners of chose for braking surfaces (Y)

Joe x

True story, but you can use powerful cleaners such as petrol/whatever to clean the shite off, then clean the residue off with washing up liquid/whatever. Sometimes alcohol based cleaners arn't strong enough to clear the shite.