Rim Grind.

GooseTrials

A lot of people grind there rim. They use an angle grinder which only costs about £15 from any DIY shop. Grinding your rim roughs up your rim wall so it is a much better braking surface. A ground rim not only gives you a better braking surface, but it also stops water and mud effecting braking performance due to altering the rims frictional properties. If you have a ground rim, you will need pads that have a harder compound. Koxx pads work well with grinds, as well as all of the Heatsink pads, Plazmatic CRM pads are also widely used. Any of these pads will greatly increase your brakes performance from using kool stops or standard black pads.

(Y)

You don't have to grind, you can keep the rim as it is and get some softer compound pads.

The main thing you need to do is loose the magura pads that came with the bike.

Edited by JT!

hi mate , welcome to trials forum!

the purpose of a rim grind is to make the brake pads grip better.

a rougher surface increases the friction and therefore harder for the brake pads to slip when riding.

think of it in this way:

sliding your foot across an iced up puddle...- it moves easily as it is smooth.

sliding your foot across sand paper...-harder to slide it because af the rough and sharpness of it.

rim grind advantages:

• brake works well in the wet
  • brake is louder
  • brake holds better in the dry
  • sheds water away from the pads
a rim can be ground by using an angle grinder and skimming it lightly across the the braking surface.(where the brake pads touch the rim).dont push it into the rim because you will take massive chunks out of it.

Just drag the grinder across it lightly and you will get a rough effect like this.

click here.

also...get some good performing brake pads.

the ones that come on the onza t rex arent high performance.

i'd advise you to get either:

• coust pads in plastic backings or aliminium backings if you have lots of money. >>>click here<<<
  • rock pads in blue
  • plazmatic crm
  • koxx bloxx browns.
bottom 3 can be found >>>here<<< in the brake pads section.

if you would like to know any thing about your bike or any information on when the brake pads will be in stock , give adam and dave a call, they're top guys and can help with anything.

if you dont want to call them give them an e- mail they are very helpfull!

good luck with trials mate (Y)

max..... :P

Edited by max-t

a rougher surface increases the friction and therefore harder for the brake pads to slip when riding.

think of it in this way:

sliding your foot across sand paper...-harder to slide it because af the rough and sharpness of it.

rim grind advantages:

• brake is louder
a rim can be ground by using an angle grinder and skimming it lightly across the the braking surface.(where the brake pads touch the rim).dont push it into the rim because you will take massive chunks out of it.

Just drag the grinder across it lightly and you will get a rough effect like this.

click here.

• coust pads in plastic backings or aliminium backings if you have lots of money. >>>click here<<<
  • rock pads in blue
  • plazmatic crm
  • koxx bloxx browns.

if you would like to know any thing about your bike or any information on when the brake pads will be in stock , give adam and dave a call, they're top guys and can help with anything.

MAX YOU GEEK!

Shame you missed the CAPITAL LETTER at the start of a sentance,

ow and the full stop at the end of it.

That was a good job i noticed that!!!.

Lmfaon!!! 20!!! hogg!!! hahahahahah.

think of it in this way:

rim grind advantages:

• brake is louder

click here.

• rock pads in blue
  • plazmatic crm
  • koxx bloxx browns.

you got some brown stuff on your nose there man.

stop licking tartybikes arsecrack

tartybikes is a company not a human...........you can't possibly have a arse crack there mate!

dave and adam have the best shop on the net for trials, so obviously max would have used them and is going to reccommend them. you don't buy a set of pads from tarty and then reccommend the same set from selectbikes, so he is not a arse licker at all :smartass:

plus it is true so why is he a arse licker?

i have seen people on ebay selling something they call TAR or "black gold."is the stuff actually different to bitumen or are they just trying to rip us off at six pound for a lump of the stuff?

same stuff really.you can get the best stuff off of road construction people.

I nevfer said he was I just said what jake said:

'You've got some shit on your nose there mate'

but I said it 'In English' like you asked.

i replied to the english version of it, sorry if you thought it was aimed at you, (i realise it does look that way, i ment it to jake1526)

sorry dude , my bad.