Gears - Who Runs Them?

Punkrider

I have gears

myset up:

HUB Hope pro 2 trials

CASSETTE one I found in the bin of my local bike shop, it was a 7 speed I think. It was bolted together, I undid it and replaced the 7spd spacers with 8 spd and removed a cog. The bolts still fitted (it might actually have been a 6 spd, I cant remember)

CHAIN kmc narrow, 8spd

SHIFTER Old skool sunrace 8spd thumb shifter. It has the option of being a friction shifer (not indexed) so I just move it until its inline with the cog I want. The advantage of this is that I can run whatever spaced cassette I want, also if the mech gets bent I can fine tune its position to get it running as sweet as poss. Also, cable adjustment isnt as important.

MECH XTR reverse pull, shotened cage. I chose a reverse pull because if my mech cable snaps, it will automaticly return tothe largest cog (better for trialsing) and can easily be adjusted to the right cog with the limit screws. Also, it means the arm on my shifter isnt pulling much cable to the arm is much lower in profile, as opposed to sticking right up and snagging on clothes and stuff.

I have gears

myset up:

HUB Hope pro 2 trials

CASSETTE one I found in the bin of my local bike shop, it was a 7 speed I think. It was bolted together, I undid it and replaced the 7spd spacers with 8 spd and removed a cog. The bolts still fitted (it might actually have been a 6 spd, I cant remember)

CHAIN kmc narrow, 8spd

SHIFTER Old skool sunrace 8spd thumb shifter. It has the option of being a friction shifer (not indexed) so I just move it until its inline with the cog I want. The advantage of this is that I can run whatever spaced cassette I want, also if the mech gets bent I can fine tune its position to get it running as sweet as poss. Also, cable adjustment isnt as important.

MECH XTR reverse pull, shotened cage. I chose a reverse pull because if my mech cable snaps, it will automaticly return tothe largest cog (better for trialsing) and can easily be adjusted to the right cog with the limit screws. Also, it means the arm on my shifter isnt pulling much cable to the arm is much lower in profile, as opposed to sticking right up and snagging on clothes and stuff.

Is your real name damian and do you have a particular dislike of churches :twisted:

Correct me if im wrong, but you need at least 6 gears to enter comps?

You're wrong, not unless its british national champs, or the worlds - are you entering either of those? If so then get gears, if not and you are looking towards doing tyke trials or YMSA then no you can run singlespeed if you want.

If all you're worried about is the mech banging on the frame, then just wind in the b-tension screw (the little cross head one poking out next to the mech hanger) and that will limit how far your mech can rotate and stop the banging.

just fitted a Sram 5 on my 24UK, was sick and tired of pedaling like a fool, so i created a 6sp cassette from random ones i have, and the rest is the same as Ali C's, i used a sram purely because it does bang against the frame and make an irritating noise! >_<

Edited by rhythm_101

This is what I run....lightweight and practical! Who needs several trials gears or a-b gears? :- ( 22 x 18/12 ) Changed with a XT shifter, none of this get off your bike and twist the adjuster knob sillyness! (only cause I have standard spacers admitadly!) Losing the shifter would look good, but meh`

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Concussion

I'd quite like to do that ^ (run just a trials gear and one for getting about on,) but without the shifter. Would it be possible just to have a tensioner, and the two gears, and just move the chain with your hand when you wanna change the gear? I've heard of someone doing it, but I have no idea how.

Nah` man! = edit: I actually thought you meant move the mech with your hand and expect it to stay there!!! Forget that.... me stupid!

You would run a tiny cable (just cut it down-use the gear nipple that usually goes in the shifter.....or a brake cable if that don,t work, meh`) ,from the barrel adjuster to the mech clamp as usual...... tension it up so the chain sits/runs on the small chainring. Then use the barrel adjuster to increase cable tension... moving the chain/mech to the large chainring!

Just means you have to get off your bike to adjust to the required gear. Or be a freakin gymnast! Would look clean without the shifter, but meh`

Thats how I'd do it anyway... some people use a spoke instead of a cable? Oh` and screw the H-L screw thingys to the reqired distance just to keep things sweet etc!

Edited by Concussion

The way forward is singlespeed with mech or just chain.In uci in Hungary example officialy you can ride comps with ss...and take a look: coustelier rides ss too, holroyd rides ss and vincent too(not sure).If you go ride big distances it's not so good...I have ss and I like it simple thing and practical for trials use....I think soon will be no obligation for speeds at comp.