Freewheel/freehub? Which Would Have A Faster Engagement?

ogre

Per turn of the cranks the eno would have 72 engagements, so would engage every 5 degrees or rotation.

Per turn of the cranks the freehub would have 48*(18/12)=72, so would also engage every 5 deg of rotation.

So taking into account the gearing, they'll be exactly the same. :-

Per turn of the cranks the eno would have 72 engagements, so would engage every 5 degrees or rotation.

Per turn of the cranks the freehub would have 48*(18/12)=72, so would also engage every 5 deg of rotation.

So taking into account the gearing, they'll be exactly the same. :-

thanks :) looks like i'll be keeping my eno (Y) and getting the fixed one, has anyone killed one of them yet?

If you buy a eno trials freewheel, not a BMX freewheel. It will engage quicker, correct me if i'm wrong but a eno trials freewheel engages every 5 degrees, having a 36 tooth ratchet, and three sets of pawls. Where as a deng style freehub has 2 set of pawls on a 24 tooth ratchet, giving an engagement every 7.5 degrees.

Thanks

Stefan P

Come on... :rolleyes:

A freewheel is on your cranks so when you rotate them, you're transferring the rotation directly to the freewheel. On a freehub, you transfer the rotation through a chain which in the case of mods will more often than not be a bit loose (if it's tight, you'll knacker the bearings).

I can't feel the difference when riding but you will see it if you rotate the cranks slowly with your hand.

Edited by Inur

A freewheel is on your cranks so when you rotate them, you're transferring the rotation directly to the freewheel. On a freehub, you transfer the rotation through a chain which in the case of mods will more often than not be a bit loose (if it's tight, you'll knacker the bearings).

I can't feel the difference when riding but you will see it if you rotate the cranks slowly with your hand.

Still dont understand.... :sleeping::sleeping::closedeyes:

if it's tight, you'll knacker the bearings

I don't get that, surely having a tight chain would be better because when you put any power through your not going to have a sudden change in tightness and pull on the hub/skrew the bearings.whereas with a looser chain you'll suddenly be putting the freehub/wheel under alot of stess. and i still don't get the freewheel/freehub being better (besides engagement distance).

woith a profile/ free hub, your moving the cranks right, firstly you will gewt movement from the slack in the chain like inur said, then you will get the engaement.

with a freewheel, your moving the cranks, you get the engagment then the movement from the slack in your chain, and all this is before your wheels even turned an inch!

i have probably had more free hubs and freewheels than most people in this topic, going through three kings in the past year!

AND FREEHUBS ARE A MILLION TIMES BETTER, NOTHING BUT!!!

joE!

i have probably had more free hubs and freewheels than most people in this topic, going through three kings in the past year!

AND FREEHUBS ARE A MILLION TIMES BETTER, NOTHING BUT!!!

joE!

right, so, having gone through £1200 worth of freehubs in the last year - as opposed to £80 worth of eno (I think most people manage to keep them for a year - i know i have) the freehub works out better... keep telling yourself that - it might make you feel better.

as for which one engages quicker - assuming the effective EPs are the same (ie 72) it won't make a shag of difference - the chain still has to chug along the same distance before you get an engagement regardless of whether the ratchet it on the front or the back AND you'll have preloaded anyway won't you ?

right, so, having gone through £1200 worth of freehubs in the last year - as opposed to £80 worth of eno (I think most people manage to keep them for a year - i know i have) the freehub works out better... keep telling yourself that - it might make you feel better.

as for which one engages quicker - assuming the effective EPs are the same (ie 72) it won't make a shag of difference - the chain still has to chug along the same distance before you get an engagement regardless of whether the ratchet it on the front or the back AND you'll have preloaded anyway won't you ?

Ha ha, he knows it.

I think people get all up tight about such silly things. Its a sodding engagement, you still have to account for the chain being slack just after either freewheel/hub designs have engaged so the difference will be (and this word doesnt really convey just how unneccesarily picky your being) negligable.

And as poopipe said, if your preloading the pedals it makes shit all difference anyway, myself... i'm running a hope xc, fresh products tensioner and have enough chain slack to push the chain against my chainstay. Do i complain? Do i feck, i learn to ride better.

Edited by Krisboats