Onza Carbon Bars

Mr Dave

Hey

Had some onza 30" carbon bars for a while now, since they came out pretty much.

noticed last night...

if you sit on the bike, and look at the bars, on the side facing you, the carbon has split, on each end on the top curve.....

cracks going downwards, about half inch long...

anyone else had this?

there both in the same place each side so im guessing there not from scraping on a wall....

going to break? buy new ones?

Ta

Dave :turned:

those carbon bars are funny, because i had a lil look at the ends and theyre just alu with only one layer of carbon, which would add about the same amount of strength as a piece of paper, and considering carbon is meant to flex, not be ridged... i mean look at carbon racing bikes, and look how thick all the tubing is, but they still flex. the carbon on the onza bars is just for looks realy

those carbon bars are funny, because i had a lil look at the ends and theyre just alu with only one layer of carbon, which would add about the same amount of strength as a piece of paper, and considering carbon is meant to flex, not be ridged... i mean look at carbon racing bikes, and look how thick all the tubing is, but they still flex. the carbon on the onza bars is just for looks realy

You'd think that, but the thing is that most carbon bars have a aluminium insert in the ends so they don't splinter and crack when you hit the end of your bars against things. Meaning that what you say is true about probably the first inch or two but after that they are more than likely full carbon.

They are aluminium with a layer of carbon...

Description

- Arguably the best trials handlebars currently available, now even wider for more control!

- Extra width, as requested by the Coustellier brothers and Danny Butler.

- 31.8mm oversized clamp diameter for increased strength.

- Carbon fibre outer construction.

- 7075 aluminium core where high stress levels occur.

- The distinctive shape of these bars offers an extremely comfortable feel and increased bike control when tilted forwards, or a slightly more 'streety' feel when tilted back.

- Combination of aluminium and carbon fibre offers exceptional stiffness and strength, but not with the downside of high weight.

- Aluminium inserts to prevent splintering at the ends of the bars.

- 30" (760mm) wide.

- Clear lacquer over raw carbon-fibre weave and white graphics give a classy finish.

- 285g.

Edited by Oskar

They are aluminium with a layer of carbon...

Description

- Arguably the best trials handlebars currently available, now even wider for more control!

- Extra width, as requested by the Coustellier brothers and Danny Butler.

- 31.8mm oversized clamp diameter for increased strength.

- Carbon fibre outer construction.

- 7075 aluminium core where high stress levels occur.

- The distinctive shape of these bars offers an extremely comfortable feel and increased bike control when tilted forwards, or a slightly more 'streety' feel when tilted back.

- Combination of aluminium and carbon fibre offers exceptional stiffness and strength, but not with the downside of high weight.

- Aluminium inserts to prevent splintering at the ends of the bars.

- 30" (760mm) wide.

- Clear lacquer over raw carbon-fibre weave and white graphics give a classy finish.

- 285g.

Hmm.. still not sure, it says there's an alloy core where high stress levels occurs, IE the bar ends, the clam area and the bends. So they could still be proper carbon in most of the length.

argh...i was about to buy some off a mate. there about 9 months old but havent been used hard at all.

should i buy them?

JK

Yeah, go for it. Like the guy said, his were two years old, So assuming the riding level is the same they'll still have a good year left in them.

As mentioned above many carbon tubes have an aluminium core or at least an endoskeleton. Carbon is incredibly stiff in the direction of it's weave but it also has very good shock absorbing qualities which may be where you got the flexing thing from? Cos I'm pretty sure "meant to flex" couldn't be farther from the truth (don't bite my head off if I'm wrong).

The carbon on the bars is not "just for looks" either... It's proper carbon fibre and adds alot of strength (certainly more than a piece of paper ;) )without the weight penalty.

argh...i was about to buy some off a mate. there about 9 months old but havent been used hard at all.

should i buy them?

JK

YES.

Did it a fair few months back... the high stress areas are at the bends and the stem clamp. As you can see, the thickness increases dramatically at these points!

The ends are relatively thin (under the grips) as there's not a lot happening there.

The marks you can see on the long section are from where we tried to crush the bars in a vice (didn't really work) and then try and snap them by swinging on the other end of the handlebars - almost broke the vice!

The two areas where the carbon has pulled away from the alloy (and we've cut the bars in half along their length) is what appears on the outside as a 'crack' in the bars - it is in fact just the carbon delaminating a little when the bars flex to absorb shock.

[attachmentid=8457]

post-5427-1164910385_thumb.jpg