clinicalymad

Well its good to see that there are sites like this around, i am new to trials bike riding with pedals, but have been riding trials motorbikes for a few yrs now. Since we have been having all this wet weather lately i have looked into buying a trials push bike.. Can anyone give a mid 30s fellow rider some advice on what to look for in buying a bike, whats easier to ride, 20" or 26" frame choice etc! it really is a mine field.. Also are there riders in exeter area that meet up for riding round the city on some of the concrete jungle that has been built in the last few yrs.. Thanks

Well believe it or not am lucky, only 5-8" an 10 half stone. So i consider my self quite lucky for me age, am a active person, so thats why i thought i would give this type of trials riding a go. Are there any riders in Exeter in devon that i could ride with when i get me bike! was looking at an orange zero, do anyone of you guys have one, would love to hear comments

You'll learn the basic's quicker on a 20" than on a 26", but the 20" could start holding you back, 26" tends to be easier to roll over stuff where as 20" is more hop orientated.

What's your budget?

You might find getting a second hand bike a better option as if you end up not using it as much as you thought you would, it should hold a fair bit of it's value, even if a bike has been rideen only a few times, as soon as it get's scratched it looses alot of value.....

orange zeros were good bikes back in there day, there a bit out of date in my opinion now, as someone said onza t-rex is a damn good bike to buy,its perfect for learning on and then when you are a more confident rider and more skills you can easily upgrade it.

there are also a fwe good buys after xmas on ebay.co.uk as eveyone gets new bikes or bits from santa so its well worth a look.

There's loads of people in Plymouth to ride with, i'm not sure if it's anywhere near Exeter, but if you can get a train there or something theres a really nice guy called Nick Wood that's going to uni there, he's been riding about 5 years so he's pretty well experienced, he's just one of them though, i'm pretty sure there's 10+ in Plymouth.

I'd say a Mod, they're cheaper, less hassle to maintain and have less parts to break. I'm 5.7, 15 and around about 9, 10. (I ride mod by the way)

Go mod (Y)

Edited by Fat Pants

Well believe it or not am lucky, only 5-8" an 10 half stone. So i consider my self quite lucky for me age, am a active person, so thats why i thought i would give this type of trials riding a go. Are there any riders in Exeter in devon that i could ride with when i get me bike! was looking at an orange zero, do anyone of you guys have one, would love to hear comments

ORANGE ZERO :)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1010780/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1010779/

my brother's old bike........sold it now, but bought a brand new exactly the same frame a few years after selling it, tis a nice bike to ride, but a tad too short for my liking (hit my knee's on the bars sometimes)

would highly reccommend one (Y)

Welcome.

Try to have a ride on a mod and a stock and see what suits you best. I bought a BT Raven off EBay quite cheaply. Best to bide your time. or wait until you're validated and check out the Sales page on this Forum.

Anyway, nice to see another old(ish) member on the Forum.

Have fun.

Tony

ORANGE ZERO :)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1010780/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1010779/

my brother's old bike........sold it now, but bought a brand new exactly the same frame a few years after selling it, tis a nice bike to ride, but a tad too short for my liking (hit my knee's on the bars sometimes)

would highly reccommend one (Y)

:o:o:o That bike has a seat :o:o:o

Don't go mod you will find it harder if you wont to switch to stock, were as if you ride a 26 then swap to 20 you find them easier to chuck around :) .

hope it helps

dan

hi there,

i reckon your best bet is to meet up with some of your local riders and see if you can try out both sizes. the difference between both sizes makes a lot of difference but so does bike set up, make, etc. even small things like stem length, lever angle make all the difference to each bike set up. go for what feels most comfortable, you'll probably know instantly if it feels right or not. hope this helps.

gianttrials