Workshop/garrage/machanics Tips

CC12345678910

If u have any tips u want 2 tell the very nice TF members about, just post them here. 4 example, if u can't afford a proper workstand

(like the ones in bike shops) or your bike dosen't have a seat, but it does have a bashplate, get an car axle

stand, set it 2 the right height, put the pin in, put your bike's bash on the axle stand and hey presto!!! U now have a workstand. ( It works even better if your one that's flat like the one I use. E-Mail me at cc123456789@hotmail.co.uk with your email & i'll try and send u pics of how it works if u want.) (Y)(Y)

This is a good idea for a topic, because people could be using methods that aren't as good as others, so therefore some could benefit.

Number 1. How to put grips on without any lubricant (which makes them come loose!).

You Will Need:

1. New grips with open ends.
  2. Bar ends (That have a rubber wedge that expands, like Hope Grip Doctors or X-Lite Discos).
  3. Pump with a tight fit on the inside of the grip.
  4. Two people.
Right, this bit is the Method:
  1. Fit the bar end into the opposite end of the bar to the end you are putting the grip on, make sure its tight.
  2. Clean the bar with paint thinners and don't touch it.
  3. Push the grip on as far as you can.
  4. Push the end of the pump into the bit of the grip sticking out.
  5. One of you grab the stem and the grip and pull, (you might need to squeeze around the end of the pump).
  6. The other one needs to pump like mad, the pressure inside the grip makes it expand and slide on!
  7. When the pump hits the end of the bar it should slide all the way on because the pressure is still expanding.
  8. Now, on my DMR Zip Grips, the two ends were rigid enough to stop the air escaping, so the middle of the grip was expanded enough to move the grip about until it is dead straight, then pick the end with your nail and all the air hisses out, letting the grip shrink around the bar, with nothing between the grip and the bar!
Works better than hair spray, grip glue, soap, WD40 and everything else I have tried in the past.

I may write up some more if I get time.

Edited by KuelMuel

best way to get a grip of:

1. undo the bolt of your lever

2. pull the lever towards your grip

3. remove bar ends if you have any

4. hold you brake lever in one hand and the other hand on your bar or stem. (make sure you are standing at the end of your bar with the gripo you want to remvoe in fornt of you)

5. pull the lever towards you moving it up and down slightly and hey rpesto your grip would be removed.

non of this fannying around using hair spray or what ever to remove your grip.

Hi

The easiest way of putting grips on is to get a bowl of really hot water put the grips in it leave them a little while than put them straight on the handle bar. when they cool down they shrink (Y) easy as that. To get them off simply pour the kettle over them then pull them off.

why use lubricant and oil it will just make them stay slipy forever :) .

Dan

Hi

The easiest way of putting grips on is to get a bowl of really hot water put the grips in it leave them a little while than put them straight on the handle bar. when they cool down they shrink (Y) easy as that. To get them off simply pour the kettle over them then pull them off.

why use lubricant and oil it will just make them stay slipy forever :) .

Dan

my way is alot quicker to get grips of seeings as iwork in a bike shop and we are taking grips of all time etc, trustm e if you have even a tad of strength my way is best.

HI

The best workshop tip i can give you is put everything that you use back in its home. then next time you come to use it you dont have to spend half a hour looking for it :) makes for faster repairs.

moza

• 3 weeks later...

i use deodarant to get my grips on and off, it evaporates after a few days once the grips are on and if they still move use hair spray it drys in sticky

to remove put a screwdriver and lift the grip up and spray inside and twist the grip about to work the spray about

i also use hair spray on the rear rim if my grind has really worn smooth and the brake doesnt work well and the bite comes back for a few days

Edited by weebryan