26 Mod?

twokn6

hi all

on tarty bikes they have got 26 inch mod's

what isit?

A 26 inch mod is a 26 inch frame with horizontal dropouts, instead of vertical so you dont have to have a mech hanger or a mech.

Also they run a mod hub, this is instead of 135mm long axle which is on a standard stock frame. Its a 116mm axle which is on a 20 inch frame.

The idea of them is to stop breaking of mech hangers, the chain then tensions with the snail cam tensioners making tensioning the chain easyer. im not sure about the hub being shorter but i think that is to cancel out any flex in the axle because the tensions from the chain.

Edited by oliyoungman14

also add that there (a little bit) lighter and stronger becuase the hubs got a shorter axle = harder to snap (Y)

Some people are 'up in arms' to wether the hub flange would be strong enough for such a big wheel.

thats bull! lol the flange size will be prety much the same just not as wide apart and with gears it wouldn't have been as wide anyway because of the need for the bit the casette goes on.

also add that there (a little bit) lighter and stronger becuase the hubs got a shorter axle = harder to snap (Y)

thats bull! lol the flange size will be prety much the same just not as wide apart and with gears it wouldn't have been as wide anyway because of the need for the bit the casette goes on.

I did say 'some people'. Me not included.

The idea was also to make the wheel symmetrical so it's going to be stronger also. From both sides spokes are same lenght etc. Body shell is the same as in 135mm deng's hubs and it's still wider than most of mtb hub's bodyshells.

So yea idea is pretty good. I don't like snail cams on my mod though and prefer chain tensioner which i got on control as i don't need to keep tightining

sub zero, why are they shit? ur explanation doesnt make sense.

Well, probably because it means that if you want horizontal dropouts you either have to buy a mod hub or a BT7.

I'd say the whole 116mm spacing business is great for people who switch from mod to stock (quite a few people lately) as they can keep their rear hubs which are quite often the most expensive part in the bike.

All this stuff about the flanges being centered (called a zero dish wheel) is kinda stupid, its possible easily without stupid 116mm spacing. You can either buy a single speed hub, or the frame manufacturer could offset the rear end like on older spec P1s so that the flanges of a geared hub are centered.

The idea that these Deng hubs have wider flange spacing than a 135mm hub is just stupid, they do have wider spacing than a 135 geared hub, but compared to something like a CK singlespeed or Pro II or a Revolver, they are narrow as fook!