The gallery..  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How do you find the gallery?

• I understand it just fine
    • I'm slightly confused by it
    • I have no idea how to use it
    • I have no idea how to use it, but I've never tried
    • Theres a gallery?

Ok. I am now about 15 minutes into my first visit to the gallery, and I'm finding it a bit confusing.

The first thing I wondered is if there's any connection between the Gallery and the Bike Pics/Riding Pics parts of the forum but as far as I can see there isn't. Perhaps there should be? Or are they intended for different purposes? Maybe there should be a link from the forum to the gallery, like Trials Chat has the link to FAQ?

As for the Gallery itself, it starts good with the screen of different categories like Full Bike Pictures, Riding Pictures etc, that's clear and logical (to me at least). After that it gets wierder...

In Member Galleries, I'm confused by the fact that clicking on someone's name or on someone's picture takes you to two different places. Eventually I worked out that clicking on the member name takes you to a page where all their albums are visible. That's good, but it would be a lot easier for thickos like me to understand if there was a big title that says 'here are the albums of this user' or something. A bit like this:

membergalleryhc7.th.jpg

Once you're inside an album I think it's ok. You'd have to be even thicker than me to still be lost.

On the page where all the different members are visible (i.e. just clicked on 'member galleries') could you put little buttons saying 'go to this user's albums' and 'go straight to this picture' or something like that? I think not knowing that that was where the links went is what confused me.

In the Full Bike Pictures section, it doesn't seem right to me that you just get confronted by a whole page of pictures straight away, not even telling you who put them up. It makes it hard to find anything in particular if there are no titles or member names, especially if there's 23 pages! Or is that the whole point of the Gallery, as opposed to the media sections of the forum being for if you want to know a bit more about what you're looking at?

Maybe it would help if there were more subcategories, like mod, stock etc?

For the Gallery as a whole, just more titles or labels telling you where stuff goes would help.

hmm I dunno maybe I just find it odd cos I haven't used it before, hope my jibberish was of some help anyway. My confusion at the gallery is nothing compared to my gratitude for the forum in general existing anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...
i WOULD use it...but it compresses so badly...pictures come out aweful >_<

Taken onboard... Ive set the max image size to 5000x5000px. So unless you upload an image larger than that, it wont be compressed. I've also taken the watermark off which was contributing to the problem.

Ok. I am now about 15 minutes into my first visit to the gallery, and I'm finding it a bit confusing.

The first thing I wondered is if there's any connection between the Gallery and the Bike Pics/Riding Pics parts of the forum but as far as I can see there isn't. Perhaps there should be? Or are they intended for different purposes? Maybe there should be a link from the forum to the gallery, like Trials Chat has the link to FAQ?

We tried making people use the gallery to put bike pics in, but it never took off. People don't like change :P (the fact the gallery is a bit pants and confusing doesnt help either)

On the page where all the different members are visible (i.e. just clicked on 'member galleries') could you put little buttons saying 'go to this user's albums' and 'go straight to this picture' or something like that? I think not knowing that that was where the links went is what confused me.

Ive half sorted this out, now when you hover over the link/image it'll tell you what happens when you click them.

In the Full Bike Pictures section, it doesn't seem right to me that you just get confronted by a whole page of pictures straight away, not even telling you who put them up. It makes it hard to find anything in particular if there are no titles or member names, especially if there's 23 pages! Or is that the whole point of the Gallery, as opposed to the media sections of the forum being for if you want to know a bit more about what you're looking at?

I figured if people like the picture, they'll click on it. Once on that page then they can see who posted it etc, it also tidied up the page a bit. I might add back in the poster of the image and maybe the date, it gets pretty messy/confusing then though.

Maybe it would help if there were more subcategories, like mod, stock etc?

Might just do that (Y)

hope my jibberish was of some help anyway.

Very much so, cheers :)

The view image page has changed a bit, theres a handy BBCODE button and its generally been tidied. Any more opinions are welcome.