New Rear Vbrake!

JohnyMilton

hey im looking for a new Vbrake on the rear and im not sure which one to get, can you help me please??

Johny

Hey johny!

I have always used either avid v-brakes or shimano before upgrading to magurahs33.

Have a look on www.chainreactioncycles.com at "brakes-mtb"

most of them are avid and shimano, depending on how much cash you want to part with, choose one which has a good rating and you like the look of.

PS Unless you are running really tight on cash at the moment, i wouldn't bother with a v-brake, just buy a single hs33, BEST BRAKE EVER!!!

Hope I was of some help, alex

Hey johny!

I have always used either avid v-brakes or shimano before upgrading to magurahs33.

most of them are avid and shimano, depending on how much cash you want to part with, choose one which has a good rating and you like the look of.

PS Unless you are running really tight on cash at the moment, i wouldn't bother with a v-brake, just buy a single hs33, BEST BRAKE EVER!!!

I totaly disagree with your last statement! my rear vee has MUCH more hold than any of my maguras have. And that was with a dewhore brake, decent cable and pads are the most important things with a vee.

I would recomend an SD7 brake, if you can afford it i would go for an ultimate, i got mine the other day and :o they are SOOOO good!

Adam

Hey johny!

just thought i would say thanks and i never use a maggie brake, i think Vbrakes are way better than maggies!!! *maggies are crap* lol

thanks a lot mate!!!

Johny

if you can afford it i would go for an ultimate, i got mine the other day and :o they are SOOOO good!

you fooking knows it B)

glad you are liking it adam :)

yeah, ive had 5 ultimates now, 2 sd7s, 1 sd5, 1 sram 5, 2 sram 9, 3 deores, 2 lx, 1 xtr, etc etc and the ultimate wins hands down, with the deore coming in in at a very close second-awesome brake for the price! sd7s are also very good and arent all that expensive!

ive had several maguras, but they were nothing compared to a decent v brake setup :)

Ali C uses them, so that gives you an idea of good riders using them.

I myself bought Magura's so I could get a feel for them on my own bike, I prefer Maguras and generally much more confident, but if they go wrong I'll try a well set-up V-brake so I can compare them.

My Onza DD11 V-brake worked brilliant with a bit of tar, no slipping and it was a smooth rim and standard pads. So I imagine a V-brake with better pads, lever, and possibly a rim grind would be out of the question.

i run maggies on my trials bike but on my mountain bike i have avid sd5s an i was actually really impressed with them, was really thinking about putting them on my trials bike but just didnt get round to doing it. no doubt they would have been really good when properly set up (Y) , basically mate just try things out and figure for yourself for what feels best. good luck with that B)(Y)

Get an XTR or Avid Arch Rival, they're amazing when set up right. You can't go far wrong with them, wish i had them on my bikes but there so expensive. I use Avid Single Digit 5's and they're good value for money and work really well, especially good if your on a budget.

Hope this helps,

Ben g WST

I never knew v-brakes were so popular, you never see any of the top riders using them though (cls, benito ross, vincent hermance). When i get some spare cash i might give them a try.

Alex. :D

hey mate, Ali c is one of the top riders and he uses them and he made his own pad for them, im getting a set cant wait >_<

Johny

Hi,

I trawled Trials Forum looking for the best v-brake options and the most recommended set up by far is XTR Levers, Avid Ultimate V-Brakes and Nokon or Avid Flack Jacket Cables. I have a base TA26 with this set up (nokon cables) and an Echo Booster and as long as I keep the standard pads clean, I can lock up a smooth DX32 rim with no trouble. I am sure that if you wanted to you could save stacks of cash and get close to this performance by using XTR Brake Cables which for standard cables are awesome and something like Deore V-Brakes which are as stiff as they get. Don't skimp on the levers though, XTR levers really are that good.

Happy New Year

Duane.

Hi,

I trawled Trials Forum looking for the best v-brake options and the most recommended set up by far is XTR Levers, Avid Ultimate V-Brakes and Nokon or Avid Flack Jacket Cables. I have a base TA26 with this set up (nokon cables) and an Echo Booster and as long as I keep the standard pads clean, I can lock up a smooth DX32 rim with no trouble. I am sure that if you wanted to you could save stacks of cash and get close to this performance by using XTR Brake Cables which for standard cables are awesome and something like Deore V-Brakes which are as stiff as they get. Don't skimp on the levers though, XTR levers really are that good.

Happy New Year

Duane.

cheers mate il have a a look for then!!

Johny

I swear by avid brakes and levers, even the cheaper models are great. I use the speed dial feature a lot, xtr lever are not as adjustable as avids (the "speed dial" feature on them is pretty poor). XTR levers I have had in the past have all fallen apart too.

I swear by avid brakes and levers, even the cheaper models are great. I use the speed dial feature a lot, xtr lever are not as adjustable as avids (the "speed dial" feature on them is pretty poor). XTR levers I have had in the past have all fallen apart too.

well cheers Ali i have just order avid brakes and levers, and im going to order a set of your pads later on!!

thanks a lot

Johny

well cheers Ali i have just order avid brakes and levers, and im going to order a set of your pads later on!!

thanks a lot

Johny

i like avid levers too, just got my self a set of SD7 levers from wiggle (£20 posted... bargain) , also odyessy linear slic cable is great and only £5 or so!

i like avid levers too, just got my self a set of SD7 levers from wiggle (£20 posted... bargain) , also odyessy linear slic cable is great and only £5 or so!

cheers, but where did u get those caples im looking for them i cant find them, can you gave me a link for them please?

cheers

Johny

Just done the same myself, but i got them from CRC £18 posted :P

Yeh, i would say clear of parrallel push brakes, there is more things to go wrong, stick with dewhore/sd7 if on a budget and Ultimates if u can afford them!

Adam