Back Rims!

Netherking

hey

Need help with my back rim, i've just brought a Onza T-rex and have already sent both rims back due to the spokes being loose. so i have just got them back today but i took it for a ride this morning and its happened again already! the spokes are a little loose and theres a small buckle in the back rim!! so is it just me and my shit riding or what.

i've only just started really but i don't think i'm hurting them too much, and surely Onza Full Fat Rim and take a little beating??

just after some ideas on what to do??

learn to adjust it myself or what?

thanks very much

Harry

Get yourself a spoke key and have a read around on tightening spokes. Its a very simple job once you get your head around it, and you'll not only be able to keep the spokes tight preventing further damage, but will be able to straighten out the pre-existing buckles.

Best thing I've found for truing a wheel in the bike is to put a zip-tie around one of the stays tight enough to stay still, but loose enough so you can rotate it. Then cut it off so that it can hit the rim easily but is quite short and twangy ( :blink: ). Then you can use it like a jig, just by rotating it a little bit so the end hits the rim on the buckles.

Saying that, its pretty easy with a maggie on there anyway, just using the pads and your eyes.

yeah thats what i had to do, but i hadn't thought it though completely haha so was tighening the spokes that needed loosing and loosing the ones that need tightening, anyways got it sorted to some degree. but found that some of the nipples were different sizes! but on the same wheel which seems a little odd?? also i guess its alright to just loosen every spoke completely and start again isn't it? seems the "30 years experienced wheel builder at Super Cycles" can't really cut it anymore. ha

does anyone else use Onza Full Fat Rims? had any problems>?

Cheers Harry

I have onza hog drilled rims on my onza t-rex, and after a week riding i realised some of the spokes were ridiculously loose. I spnt about an hour truing the rims in my kitchen with the bike resting o a bucket; it worked perfectly well :D

Anyway, since then they've been great and have held straight really well (even with me doing bigger stuff and landing harder)

Steve

seems the "30 years experienced wheel builder at Super Cycles" can't really cut it anymore. ha

Neil's a great wheelbuilder with lots of experience for XC and road, but I wouldn't say his builds are up to trials.

Like has been said, grab yourself a spoke key - will save a lot of hassle, time and money in the end!

Adam

Neil's a great wheelbuilder with lots of experience for XC and road, but I wouldn't say his builds are up to trials.

Like has been said, grab yourself a spoke key - will save a lot of hassle, time and money in the end!

Adam

yeah i thought that might be the case, weren't beening to bitchy :P

i'm gonna give it a go, i managed to get a few curves out of it