Careers Choices

mark145

Well tomorrow im seeing my guidance for careers choice, and to tell you the truth I don't know at all what I want to do.

I only jobs that I am considering at the moment are Photography, Aero Mechanic (Civvy), Forces.

What jobs would you reccomend and what did you say to you careers advisor if you had one.

The main thing I know is I would like to earn a decent pay.

I asume they are going to go through some psychometric testing, to see what kind of person you are?

If so, answer that truthfully with no bias towards what you allready want to do, so if you really were only interested in photography, you'd probably tend towards things such as being active and creative, when really you might not be much more creative than you are destructive, or whatever.

my advice. aero mechanic or forces, i wouldnt try crack trying to be a photographer, just look at this forum, to see how many people are well handy with a camera on here.and theres probably a bunch of people more talented than the photographers in here who will never make it, cos its competitive. also youll probably if you do make it, end up being freelance, so chances of permanent work are very slim, and pensions etc are none existant.

if your into it that much, get a proper career, and do it on the side at weekends, either for your own enjoyment, or for a bit of extra cash if your good enough.

my advice. aero mechanic or forces, i wouldnt try crack trying to be a photographer, just look at this forum, to see how many people are well handy with a camera on here.and theres probably a bunch of people more talented than the photographers in here who will never make it, cos its competitive. also youll probably if you do make it, end up being freelance, so chances of permanent work are very slim, and pensions etc are none existant.

if your into it that much, get a proper career, and do it on the side at weekends, either for your own enjoyment, or for a bit of extra cash if your good enough.

1. That has made me think a lot more, because I was very biased, never really thought about it that way.

Join the club!

Im 21, still live at home, have worked in an office for 3 years and still have no clue what I want to do with my life :P

Sorry im not trying to be mean but LMAO!

I'll soon be in the RAF, and when people ask they seem to be really amazed, so hopefully that affect will carry on once I leave and start a civvy job. Think going into the forces is a pretty solid thing to start a career off with. Especially if you were kicked out of college like me :$

1. That has made me think a lot more, because I was very biased, never really thought about it that way.

Sorry im not trying to be mean but LMAO!

yea, it wasnt meant to put you off, as you may be able to make it, but the chances off doing so are very slim, and even then, being well payed, and able to make a proper living, and get yourself set up for life from it, is rather hard. even more so, as camera phones etc get better.(not cos everyones a photographer then, but cos tabloids love sleaze,and grit, and people doing stuff they shouldnt, so decent resolution pics of celebs snorting cocaine in the back of taxis, and club toilets. will be obtained real easily. and those exclusive wedding shots, wont be soo exclusive, if every guest can subtly take a few pics with there camera phone, and sell them for a quick few hundred. photos will become worth a lot less, unless there proper golden moments.

and also u got a passion for photography, gettin a job in it, seems ideal, but it will ruin ur passion. i used to be into cars,motors, mechanical engineering, etc big time, would happily be out in freezing cold temperature, tinkering under me bonnet. walking round scrap yards in the rain, perfectly content. but now i work on vehicles every day, so doesnt appeal to me no more, its killed me passion for cars to be honest. can see it being much the time with photography, doing it all day every day, seems ace, but itll go stale.

Photography > 80% of the money I make from doing photography related jobs (whether it be shooting, or post processing type work) goes back into investing in photography... that leaves me with very little disposable/leisure income (once you have included bills into the rest of that). And most of it isn't even the type of photography I want to be doing: although hopefully one day that will change and all this 'paying your dues' crap will be worth it.... If you go this route, good luck, but from experience you have to look at it as an all or nothing kind of situation.

If you’re not sure about your career path... just study some useful/fairly general subjects so you can keep your options open for when you do know in the future.

Be a plasterer :)

Im one...

Im an apprentice through the week, and earn a sheddy £80 a week for it... but then i work on a weekend aswell, and get £100 a day for that...

Im earning £280 a week at the min... and its soon going up to £380 a week... un taxed aswel, as im only 16!

When my apprenticeship is up, il be working with the guy i work with on weekends, and he pays all his employees £170 a day for working for him...

Hehe, £850 a week... £44,200 a year...

But gawd damn id get robbed for tax!

You do realise that you wont work everyday...

Also, If i get qualified at what im doing, I can be on about £50 an hour if i have to go to places to fix machines :D

On £200 as an apprentice so far. What gets me is how a 16 year old can get that much when he starts from scratch, whereas I have 2 years experience and am only on that, is shit

it depends how you mind and interest rates are, and the way you learn, as in being a college dude then uni etc, slaving away doing coursework and working in a part time job you may hate. (this path is more of a major long run thing and also not my thing)

or become an apprentice, learn, work and earn all in the same boat, im not going to brag about how big my bank is or will be etc but opportunites and gateways into other jobs are easily crossed with NVQ's. you can not have it all at once, i have to wait for my time served (and finished college courses) untill i can first earn big bucks 5 days a week for mooching about on service calls and maintenence.

everything changs also when your the dude having people do what you say.

Edited by mtbjosh

On £200 as an apprentice so far. What gets me is how a 16 year old can get that much when he starts from scratch, whereas I have 2 years experience and am only on that, is shit

I work for 2 diffrent companies... Carrilion through the week (thats why its shoddy pay...) but thats my apprenticeship there.. im learning, working, and getting paid, all at once through them...

Then on a weekend, i work for a small business, who do damp proofing in houses, im the only plasterer in that company, thats why i get £100 a day off of them... it will soon be going upto £150 a day though...

So in my apprenticeship, im actually only earning £80...