Learning To Tap Up Walls

montyrider

Well as the topic says i really badly want to learn how to tap up walls but to me is scary as hell and i could do with some advice on how to start getting into it. I mean when i role up to a wall expecting to tap my front wheel on it i either stop or pedal off to early and miss it completely.

How did you big trials people out there learn how to do it ?

thanks in advance for any help

Edited by montyrider

Trashzen i would imagine would help you a bundle....

tapping isnt scary - as long as you dont wuss it. If you commit full on not much can go wrong but if you dont you can end up headbutting stuff.

start just over the bars. use a full pedal stroke. hit the wall with the front wheel and jump - easy....

Tapping was one of the hardest things to learn for me, dont expect it to come instantly.

personally i started on a wall with a angled edge on the top brick, this was a great place to aim the front wheel.

i have explained this as i do it other peoples technique may vary, this is explained from a right footed point of view. reverse for all those lefties out their.

ride at a fast walking pace toward the wall, load a half pedal stroke position (left foot at the very top of a stroke for a right footer, opposite for left obviously) let yourself get a little closer than normal to ensure the front wheel makes a good contact with the corner brick. Push through with the left to bring the front wheel up leading the power of the right foot to be in position right at the point of impact. as the front hits the wall you need to have your weight moving upwards and towards the front of the bike, on the way up bring the bike forwards between your legs locking on the rear brake. If you get the tap correct it will almost feel effortless compared with just pedalling up, remember dont lean backwards when the front wheel hits because it makes getting your body weight ontop of the object very tough.

watch plenty of videos of the masters doing it and practice practice practice.

hope it helps xxx

cool thanks for the info helps a lot cause i tried it earlier and just smashing my bash guard up cause i was leaning back lol, i think the wall was a bit small for this move cause i would usually pop it up before i hit the corner of it, but hey i've got a lot of vids to watch :D

If anyone can demonstrate in some small vids rather than me having to watch the whole videos i've got ( my windows media is a bit dodge u see ) would be a great help, but if not dont worry ill just keep on truckin. some slow mo's would be perfect.

Ive really only started tapping a lot since i got my new bike... i find that the bike naturally taps on bigg stuff... just make sures your taking off as late as possible if not youll be reaching for the tap keep your body weight forward and just give the big lurch once you feel your front wheel make the move... when i learnt i found 1 of 3 things happened-

- the bike perfectly come up underneath you and you sit perfectly up onto your rear wheel

- the bike loops over and you land on your bash.... more speed and leaning forward and pushing up will solve that

- or you just ride into the wall really hard.... which hurts..... alot lol

start off on a wall must really be about bar height and just keep riding into the wall lol - not good for you or your bike learning but when you get it right its sweeet and youll know it! ive never really gone on trashen or watched videos.... just do it

Tapping was one of the hardest things to learn for me, dont expect it to come instantly.

I don't agree with that, my first try of a tap, i pissed and kept on the backwheel on a leeson, now im tapping in the 50's I HAVE NEVER FACEPLANTED DOING TAP SO FAR. touch wood

EDIT: bit of advice, twat it (Y)

Edited by ash-kennard

It's preety easy, people make out like your gonna face plant all the time, you only face plant if you go fast and hit to LOW like I have done before, some on here may have seen me I don't know but I've had the bike flip under me about 10 times now and all the time I've just put my hands on the wall/rail/skip what ever, never hit my face.

Just go quite fast and hit loweish and then just jump throw the bike forwards, just keep trying them. you'll get them try on about bar height thats the best height to start on.

ok well all the info was good and well until i tried it on some walls earlier which was just about handlebar height.

what happened was when i hit the front wheel ( maybe i was jumping enough ) and try and jump it up like the back wheel almost goes underneath me or hits the wall and i land on my pedal or bash its really anouying i cant get it at all ill keep trying but bit of a mission im no missing a few spikes from my pedals which aint good.

i watched loads of vids and some from trashzen but i can seem to get the hang of the jumpin while hittin it.

Good topic. I've done 48 before but anything over 40 is just pure luck for me so I can't say I know how to tap properly, got my technique all wrong...

Do you big tappers do an explosive pedalkick as the front wheel hits the wall or do you manual into it? When you hit hard, do you keep your hands as stiff as possible? These are the nuances you can't really spot on a video. And another thing, when you hit the front wheel, do you jump upwards or kind of lean over the bars to get the front wheel over the obstacle? I'd usually just complain at the bb rise but Matt Awkward and Damon seem to be tapping really high so it is possible... :(

Edited by Inur

try tapping on lower objects till your really confident with it, helps when theres enough room to have your whole bike flat on the landing for if your front end don't stay up. learning it on low stuff *** (3-4 pallets should do you) (Y) do you have any other riders you can watch etc?

nope sadly im the best person in my town, i know few riders from lowestoft but i dont think they can tap, so its kinda hard learning new stuff. i was the first to do rail gaps over here, front wheel gaps, big pedal gaps, and a few other bits and this they had been riding 2 years ahead of me so yeah they dont really help ma skills much, bit of a shame but hey its just the way it is.

i will carry on trying on smaller walls but i find my front wheel tends to pop just over the edge of the wall. if i can ill try and take some small clips of me tomorrow and u lot can see what i might be doing wrong.

cheers people