Motorbike Choices

Radfax

Hey,

To cut a long story shots, some of you on here will already know a short while back my dad walked out on me my mum and my 2 brothers, one of which needs 24hour, 7 days a week full on care. Since then we have had many threats of having possesions reposesed and now we have the threat of having our house taken in 14 days and at the moment things are looking pretty grim, but after a long talk with my mother we have come to an agreement that we think it will be better for all of us to move out ans start a fresh. During our rather long conversation my mum mentioned that because of my countless and endless suply of money i have been lending her for quite a time she has agreed to buy me a new bike for my birthday and since i have been readong through the motorbike photo thread i have realised that a lof of you on here are riding R6's at 18 odd and i would like some advise on what to get and where to go. I think i have decided on a motor bike as i have and many cars and over all it works out a lot cheaper to insure and run a motorbike as iall i will want it for is to get to collage and work on.

I would just like to hear some opinions on what i should look at getting, I have around 2k to spend posibly 3k if i am lucky and then i am fully prepared to spend up to the same price on insurance. I would KILL for a 1999 R6 or some thing similar but what would everyone suggest.

Is is an idea that i have thought over countless numbers of times and i have rejected it each time and chossen a car, but since that has gone tits up each time i have tried it i think the motorbike ption will be far better.

Sou could any one advise me please!

Thanks!

Do you have a bike license and CBT and stuff already? How about protective clothing and helmet and stuff. Also very important is the question of your age. Unless you're over 21 you need to learn on a bike that is no larger than 125cc capacity. Then you've got to pass your bike test, and after that you're still limited to 33bhp for two years, so something like an R6 would have to be limited.

Joe x

although many of you will laugh the bike will be bought for my for my 16th birthday as this will be the only time for me to buy the bike, well my mum!

I have palnned out all of the money for the leathers, lid, sufficient boots and gloves, but they will be bought after the bike so that i can get a perfect colour match!

i am aware that the bike will need th be restricted to 33bhp i think it is which will still be more than enough for me untill i can afford insurance after the two years!

Either way it will work out WAY cheaper and more sufficient than a car. I have also buggeted money for my CBT and bike test.

To be fair I think it would be a lot simpler if you could just ask her to wait to buy you a bike until your 17th birthday...keeping a bike in good condition without using it for an entire year isn't really all too straightforward or cost effective...

Also if you're not even 16 yet you might wanna start off with something small with gears for your 16th and then take the leap when you're 17 so you'll have a year's road experience before jumping onto a much more powerful motorbike!

You could always ask her to put the money aside until you're 17 and not spend it?

i have asked mate but, she says it will be now or never sadly :( . I have also been told many times on here when i have mentioned buying a 50cc bike to save untill i am 17 and buying some thing larger and to be honest at the minute i dont have much spare cash! I have been riding bikes for years so riding exsperiance shouldnt be to hard to get used to although it is a totaly diffrent bike to any other i have ridden before. I have looked into getting a small geared 50 at 16 but i have been told many a time buy people who have done it before that it is a waste of time and the like?

To be honest i think i will just buy some thing bigger, it just seems the easier option!

simple, Aprilia rs 50:)

the two i have ridden, one being a millier replica 06 model i didnt get on with them in the slightest haha, i think thier riding possition is AWFULL!

i have asked mate but, she says it will be now or never sadly :( . I have also been told many times on here when i have mentioned buying a 50cc bike to save untill i am 17 and buying some thing larger and to be honest at the minute i dont have much spare cash! I have been riding bikes for years so riding exsperiance shouldnt be to hard to get used to although it is a totaly diffrent bike to any other i have ridden before. I have looked into getting a small geared 50 at 16 but i have been told many a time buy people who have done it before that it is a waste of time and the like?

To be honest i think i will just buy some thing bigger, it just seems the easier option!

the two i have ridden, one being a millier replica 06 model i didnt get on with them in the slightest haha, i think thier riding possition is AWFULL!

so true

if i was in your position i would just have to say never because i'd be so tempted to ride it, then i would and i'd get caught.

haha! I do know what you mean but to be honest with you, 3.5k on a bike is way to risky to have taken off of you and banned before you can drive, EVERYONE on this forum has probably commited some form of crime that is not to great and there is a line, riding a superbike on the road at 16 is just stupid and inconsiderate and its not a risk i am willing to take!

when i was suggesting CBR 600's she said it was way to powerfull and i told her that i would need to have a limiter put in to reduce the air flow and reduce the 150bhp down to 33 and she said to me, "for all i know is that you will buy it and then rip it out because thsts what you are like" but to be honest superbikes are killing machines and would cause much more damage than carrying a gun or a knife, but like a gun or a knife they are only destructive wepons if you use them in a destructive mannor which is just like a bike in my eyes. If you are sensible and use it how it was intended to be used. so i think i will have top be sensible, maybe ride it around the estate once, or twice :ermm: or a few times :angel:

Anyways, erm i have found a 98 CBR 600 for £1,250 - 97 ducati 749 R12k, recent tyres and new JHP exhaus system and 12months MOT and tax £3,500- and i am just browsing through bike trader at the minute!

bikes aren't like guns or knives, there more dangerous. you could be knocked off your bike by someone else but usually you can't be shot by someone else if your carrying the gun.

have you considered something like a supermoto it'll be cheaper to insure and just as much fun but in a different way + those powerslide things on corners are cool as! B)

no i havent actually but i have just got onto the misc section of auto trader and there are a few so i am jut having a look now. i think i would preffer a superbike for loads of reasons but yeh supermotos are some thing to consider!

Thanks mate!

Why don't you look for something a little smaller like a Honda CB1 400 or a CB350?

They're both nice looking bikes, extremely reliable and as comfortable as they get.

I just can't see it's a good idea going straight to a massive bike when you're 17 if you have no previous experience on the road. Fair enough that you've ridden motorbikes before, but riding on the road is a completely different story to riding say...on an airfield or a private field or wherever you may have been. When you take your Standard A test at 17 you'll be riding a 125 for a few days and taking the test on it (oh and if you do your CBT when you're 17 it'll be on a 125 too) but passing your test on a 125 then jumping onto a massive bike with only the road experience from your CBT and bike test (an absolutely marginal amount) just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

yes i can see where you are coming from mate, but at the moment i have the money to afford some thing a lot bigger so i will take my chance. i just dont see the pioint in forking out for a bike i will want to change 2 months down the line where as if i was to get a bigger bike, ride it for 2 years and then get the restrictor taken out it just looks like i would be saving a lot of money.

But yes lack of exsperiance is a big problem, any way around ot other than having to buy a gay moped or anything?

Urgh ducati! They sound disgusting! Look average. Meant to be really hard to maintaine too.

I started on a '98 600cc Suzuki bandit last summer, which I loved and is a perfect first bike. got it for £1250, spent £600-700 on stuff to make it pretty, including restrictors then sold it for £1750 mid winter :blink: Somehow!

Anyway,

I'm looking at buying a 1999 R6 like you said actually, with a budget of £2400-2500 I think. I've got my license and helmet etc so it's just bike and insurance that I need.

Have a look at Hornets and Bandits, they're good first bikes and cheap :)(Y)

I'll ignore your blaspheming nick, on this time only.

passing your test on a 125 then jumping onto a massive bike with only the road experience from your CBT and bike test (an absolutely marginal amount) just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Spot on. I spent about 4/5 months on my 125, from riding as a learner on day to day basis, through my test then untill i bought a bigger bike. During this time if I was on my current bike (500cc enduro/tourer type affair) then I would have crashed about 10 times over, but the 125 was so forgiving beeing light, small and ot overly powerfull. I remeber one time in particular when i misjudged some diesel on the road and locked the front wheel at about 30, I just stabbed my foot down and sketched my way thruoh on my 125, on my 500 I KNOW I would have been on the floor.

To be fair mate I think your lookngi at this all wrong. If you must buy a bike now, then get a 50 or maybe a 125. If you buy relitivly new and look after it then you hold get similar back when you sell it on, and can upgrade as time and experiance goes by.

Just a word of warning, if your silly enuogh to go buy an R6 or similar now. The riding positions on most sports bikes will be very similar to the rs50, they are all very crouched, with low bars, and high feet, so an R6 or 748 wouldn't be much better, possibly worse.

I'll ignore your blaspheming nick, on this time only.

Lol. I guess.

Yeah don't get an R6 for a first bike. That's silly. I think getting a bandit for my first bike was kinda 50:50 in silly and not.

Get some 125 like Steve said :) :)

You're not even 17 yet are you, so a 600 would be a no-no.

well an R6 would be a dream! BUt yes i have higly considered CBr 600's, bandits and at the moment i have found a very nice GSK 600 1999 streetfighter for £1,500 ono and it woon best some tihng or other award in 2000 with certificates and a magazine feature, its also being sold by a dealer so it sounds pretty alright.

I will be looking at getting one in the next 6-8 weeks one all of the money has gone through ect!

RIGHT!

I have decided to be sensible and split the money and buy a car with one half and a bike with theother half. i would preferably not want a 125 or smaller, Would a 400 be sensible? also i have been really drawn to streeghtfighters recently. any one have any advice on where to look or where id be best off buyng one?

well ill just put my opinion into this although im not a full motorbike rider yet because im only 17.....

But a R6 is stupidly powerful! i just think your forgetting how mind blowingly quick all these modern day bikes are! i mean ive been on the back of some of my dads mates R6 and it was just... :o if you got the revs into the red (7000?) and changed gear the front would come rearing up! i mean it was fun on the back of a 38 year old bike whos been on bikes his whole life... but at 17-19 on one of those things! f**k that! most of the roads arround here are 40-30 limits and my 100cc speedfight can do over 60.... so not really too much of a problem.... i just dont see why you would buy a bike that you can ride, and then would have to get stupidly restricted just because you have the money now.... put in an account save up some money and then get a bike?

Guess ive always settled for something thats 2nd best! i usually buy all my bikes beaten up then spend hours of hours in the garage welding and fixing oil pumps and playing arround with them.... then after the years use i can sell them on for just a lil bit under what i payed for it... just more sence to me! and if i had an R6 sitting in my garage.... i think i would end up taking it out... not in the 1st week not the 1st month... but it would eat away at you! lol i love my 100cc even at 60! i love just going out riding with friends taking the old county lanes and egging each other on! lol he has an aprillia 50 motorcross thing and thats the shit! can keep up with my 100 and is a lot more fun with the gears!! its getting a bit ratty know though

"I have decided to be sensible and split the money and buy a car with one half and a bike with theother half. i would preferably not want a 125 or smaller, Would a 400 be sensible? also i have been really drawn to streeghtfighters recently. any one have any advice on where to look or where id be best off buyng one?"

With 3 grand you WILL NOT be able to get and insure a car and a bike.... 1st years cars insurance you can expect to pay arround a grand... 1st years bike insurance about 300 pounds let alone buying a bike! My dad got his 96?? Honda CB750 for just under a grand? a few years ago... not being funny i just think youve got your head in the clouds talking about owning a Ducati or an R6. if i had 3 grand and my mum was struggling to pay for stuff i wouldnt waste it on a expensive bike... look even smaller like a 350.... as it will be able to keep up with the pace of most roads and still be a bundle full of fun on the lanes! an R6 or a ducatii is just insane..... either get a lil old cilo or micra for your 1st car or get a lil motorbike as a nice runner!

For my 1st moped i spent about 450 pounds for a shitty 50cc, CBT and a years iunsurance fire and theft

just think 2ce before choosing a massivly powerfull bike... also to insure my new bike adding fire and theft to my standard 3rd party cover would have cost me 200 pound extra and a 500 pound preminum (i think) for just a 900-1000 bike

If you want to keep your license a little bit more entact, perhaps think about an enduro style bike. I rode a 250 two stroke suzuki for a while on the farm roads and fields round here. It was nice and forgiving for new riders like me, didnt drink fuel, and we always had the option of slinging another set of wheels on with road or dirt tyres for taking it on the tarmac or some serious off road.