Facing Off Brake Mounts And Which Disk Brake?

lawrence osborn

which brake  

35 members have voted

1. 1. which brake? disk?

• hope mono trials front 160mm
    • avid bb7 front 160mm

To face your mounts you could use http://www.hopetech.com/products/tool_02.htm ,your local bike shop might have one. I think chain reaction cycles sell them for around £70 if not.

But the avid doesn't need perfectly square mounts as the system of washers on the calliper mount will ensure the pads hit square.

I'd get the avid-no bleeding, simpler set up, cheaper, no need to face your mounts and more reliable in my experience.

Edited by huge

Got a Mono Trials, getting a BB7 any day now. I'm fed up with how weak the Hope is on a stock wheel.

The Hope has a nice feel and good modulation which a BB7 doesn't have. But if you need a powerful brake get the BB7. Had one in the past on my freeride bike and remember my 1st OTB at ~20mph very well :D My mate has a 160mm on a 26" wheel and it's just supidly strong for that size!

Ive got hope SPOT facing tool, and it really did help with the old hope minis to reduce the squeel from them, i just like making sure everythings lined up perfectly realy. If you can get it done cheap, worth doing- alhtough as has been noted, its not nessesary for avid calipers.

on a mod either will be bloody great - 160 = pretty much 200 on a stock.....

Dan the man has 180 mono's on his monty and its absolutely crackers ......

oh and facing isnt really worth it (as most of the forks ive had have been pretty much spot on anyway.) - its expensive to get it done at a shop and the tool = ££££

just be carefull with the spacers, and set it up as well as you can.

Edited by manuel