Hope Mono Trial

Luzac

The best thing to do is to sell it and get a bb7 as hopes suck big time. Imo of course.

yer thats because certain people are useless arn't they hudson and cannot set a brake anywhere near central or square to the rotor, that brake always worked before i sold it you, infact it was sh*t hot................

better than any bb7 anyday :-:P:D

saying that everyone is allowed an oppinion, once a hope is set correctly they are really good, you just need to spen the time setting correctly in the way of facing and shimming, if you bodge the setting then the end result is going to be bodged aswell............

ash

yer thats because certain people are useless arn't they hudson and cannot set a brake anywhere near central or square to the rotor, that brake always worked before i sold it you, infact it was sh*t hot................

saying that everyone is allowed an oppinion, once a hope is set correctly they are really good, you just need to spen the time setting correctly in the way of facing and shimming, if you bodge the setting then the end result is going to be bodged aswell............

ash

Got to say, I agree with him on this one.

They are bloody amazing brakes when you set them up and get blood on tehm from slicing your knuckles lol.

Brillo pad the rotor, jesus it makes tehm good.

ash

They are to much hassle to set up and it cant of been shit hot when you had it as one piston was nearly ceased. No brake will touch a bb7 they are amazing. And as for bodging, bodging is the way forward, with out bodging id never be riding, they solve all your problems. :P

Why so many people use these brakes is a mystery to me. I switched to hayes hfx 9's for stopping duties and they are excellent, cheap, effective brakes.

Avid Juicy brakes are also really nice.

If you need more power just buy a bigger rotor. I run 203mm (8 inch) front and rear and they are great. If your a weight fanatic, buy ti rotors or hope alloy centred ones.

Will

Funny how people moaned when there wasnt a trials specific brake, then moan because there is one :S

If you do all that has been said, it will be piss easy to set up, not exactly hard in the first place.

People also buy them because they are made by a well recognised company. People who go on about buying a BB7 piss me right off.

As for cleaning, stay away from things that are oil based. Degreaser is your best bet, then a piece of brillo pad or wire wool (Y)

Facing is a process where a cutting tool is used to remove a small amount of material around break mount/headtube ends to make sure it is perfectly square to the rotor/headset, so that the break calliper/headset cups sit prefectly flush and square. Which will help with breaking and headset bearing life.

Why so many people use these brakes is a mystery to me. I switched to hayes hfx 9's for stopping duties and they are excellent, cheap, effective brakes.

Avid Juicy brakes are also really nice.

If you need more power just buy a bigger rotor. I run 203mm (8 inch) front and rear and they are great. If your a weight fanatic, buy ti rotors or hope alloy centred ones.

Will

I've got Hfx 9's on my XC bike and I'd never use them for trials. They're alright but there's no bite at all.

Having said that, the problem with discs is that they can be a bit of a lottery - Even of the same model brake, some are awesome and some aren't and there's no way to tell.

The best thing to do is to sell it and get a bb7 as hopes suck big time. Imo of course.
yer thats because certain people are useless arn't they hudson and cannot set a brake anywhere near central or square to the rotor, that brake always worked before i sold it you, infact it was sh*t hot

HAHAHA bit of contrast! when i sold you my Echo Control with the 203mm BB7 which was the most powerfull brake ive ever felt and threw even experienced riders over the bars and was too scary to use on front wheel gaps.... i took it off to send in a small box and you compained for weeks afterwards how shit it was didnt have any power e.t.c. bollocks that brake was the f**king nuts! and then you snapped it and moaned more.... maybe you sould learn to fit a brake.... BB7s can be expained on a rizzla with a crayon not hard...

Agreed. Just get a BB7, they're better in every way. Had a Hope for ages and got fed up with it so i'm now running a BB7 and it's great.

If the brake squeaks the pads are probably contaminated. When the brake is working correctly, it should make a kind of deep cracking noise when it slips.

Get new pads and clean the rotor very thoroughly!

HAHAHA bit of contrast! when i sold you my Echo Control with the 203mm BB7 which was the most powerfull brake ive ever felt and threw even experienced riders over the bars and was too scary to use on front wheel gaps.... i took it off to send in a small box and you compained for weeks afterwards how shit it was didnt have any power e.t.c. bollocks that brake was the f**king nuts! and then you snapped it and moaned more.... maybe you sould learn to fit a brake.... BB7s can be expained on a rizzla with a crayon not hard...

i dent moan, i just sed it was shit with the lever you had on copared to my sd7 i put on, and i wasnt moaning about it snapping jus annoyed wasnt say you sold me something dodgy or owt was just angry that my brake snapped. i can fit a brake as my new bb7 is amazing. That hope was pants and it cant of been good when he had it as a piston was ceased pritty much.

hudson you are offically being told now by more than one person and im sure matt holdsworth will agree with me.......learn to set up a brake,

i thought you told me bb7s were the best brake hudson, obviously you have said to 'simpson' they were rubbish?

make your mind up lad bb7 or hope.............

ash

i dent moan, i just sed it was shit with the lever you had on copared to my sd7 i put on, and i wasnt moaning about it snapping jus annoyed wasnt say you sold me something dodgy or owt was just angry that my brake snapped. i can fit a brake as my new bb7 is amazing. That hope was pants and it cant of been good when he had it as a piston was ceased pritty much.

dont talk utter rubbish, there ws nothing wrong with that piston when i had it, it was no where near ceased. worked fine when i had it, maybe it was the tool setting it up?

you wouldnt know if it was seized either way................................

ash

Edited by trialnoir

blah blah

You said... it was spongy... had no power... no lock e.t.c. ask anyone who rode that bike i got offered like 75quid cash on a ride for it once when someone rode it and was it :o OMFG i want it... but i didnt because i loved it.... the lever was fine!

Hope mono trial is the most awesome brake ever if you ride smooth, i can see why some people thinks it sucks, but if you know how to shift your weight properly and dont expect the brake to do all the job youre just fine.

i`m 84 kgs and got the hope mono with 160 mm, works amazingly well.

Edited by Blommah

Hope mono trial is the most awesome brake ever if you ride smooth, i can see why some people thinks it sucks, but if you know how to shift your weight properly and dont expect the brake to do all the job youre just fine.

i`m 84 kgs and got the hope mono with 160 mm, works amazingly well.

Surely when it comes down to it, you're saying that it's not as powerful as other brakes? Maybe that's because you've only got a 160 though? I expect my brake to lock whatever, and it does. Avid *** :rolleyes:

Blomma, so i can say that an old cantilever brake does not suck in braking performance if you are smooth?

braking performance is all about locking power and modulation. if a brake has a lack of power. it does not matter if you are smooth or not. it will still remain weak? ;)

first post. damn, i can be smart sometimes!

Blomma, so i can say that an old cantilever brake does not suck in braking performance if you are smooth?

braking performance is all about locking power and modulation. if a brake has a lack of power. it does not matter if you are smooth or not. it will still remain weak? ;)

first post. damn, i can be smart sometimes!

thats not what hes saying though.... hes saying that if you can transfer your body wight and use the modulation of the brake to your advantage.... some people dont like the grabby grabby feel of some brakes...