Classic Minis

King C

Ok I need an honest answer.

What are minis like as real cars? Are they reliable? Are they worth the money (i'll be spending around £700)? What are they like to drive? How do they handle? What kind of speeds are standard ones capable of?

Im asking this because I know most people who have minis also have a proper car aswell. I mean, Im only a student so I wont be transporting 3 piece suites in it, but can I live with it ie put a stock in there for rides etc without haveing to take seats and stuff out?

Cheers

King

Right.

Minis are AWESOME cars, they really are.

Are they reliable?

that depends! if you buy a sh!tter, expect it to break down on you a lot! if you buy a good one, and do regular maintenance and servicing, you should have no problems at all. The ONLY reason why minis are seen as unreliable is because most of them are now old, parts are wearing out and people who arnt enthusiasts rarely maintain them properly.

They are no more unreliable than any other car of comparable age, execpt on one point. Rust. This is a big killer, get the most solid car you can, even if it has dodgy mechanicals. The mechanicals on a mini are so simple to sort, its cheaper to put a new engine in than it is to fix rust.

Are they worth the money?

That depends. Recently, mini values have started increasing again. This is because they are now a classic, and becoming rarer. for £700, you will get better value for money in terms of features or condition with another car, and old golf or polo for example, however, it wouldnt be a mini. This is something you have to take into acount, that its not fair to compare them with other more mainstream cars.

£700 should get you a taxed and tested std 998 with a couple of rust spots. Don't expect anything showinning.

What are they like to drive? How do they handle?

They are like no other car to drive. Considering they were designed as a 60s compact run around, it is very impressive. They are a true drivers car, lots of feedback, very predictable and very easy to drive, yet very fun at the same time. The rubber cone sprung suspension gives a very unique feel, bouncy, but planted. Without going for something like a kit car or caterham, they are pretty much the closest thing on the road to a go-kart in terms of driving.

The handling is the minis strongpoint. even a std classic mini will surprise hot hatches around the twisties, and a properly set up one will beat most things around corners. The amount of fun i had driving a std 998 from wales to windsor earlier this year was unbelievable, i don't think any other car has the same grin factor as a mini.

What kind of speeds are standard ones capable of?

Well, don't expect anything earth shattering, its a 60s design, but theres a lot of room for improvement. Theres no point building a mini to go more than 100mph, one its ilegal on public roads, and two, they get very twitchy. acceleration is where its at, as there light.

a std 998, depending on age and condition will top out at anywhere from 70 to 95 mph on the flat. pre 1984 minis with 10" wheels will accelerate quicker, but have a lower top speed due to the wheels and gearing. My dads 76' 998 got to 75 std, 85 with a stage one kit. the 998 i brought back from wales was a 90's model, and a very good runner at that and i got 96mph gps speed on the m4, which was off the clock down to about the 'H' of MPH. Expect slightly higher with a 1275 as it has more power, but they have similar gearing.

Praticality:

Yes, you can put 2 stock bikes on the rear seats in a std mini with no problems. one stock will fit with only front wheel removed.

As a daily driver, there lovely, unless you need to do a lot of motorway miles, which can get tedious but isnt too bad. A lot of people have a 2nd car for motorway cruising, or if there minis turned into a project. Many people even have 2 minis! one as a project / weekend racer, one as a daily. Minis are very versatile, and can be made into really nice comfy daily drivers.

Ok, cheers. I should hopefully be buying one off radfax and from what I can tell hes fairly confident with his Minis and knows what hes talking about. Would you tell me if you think this is worth buying as Im completely useless with cars.

Link

I appreciate all info and help given.

Yes, you can put 2 stock bikes on the rear seats in a std mini with no problems. one stock will fit with only front wheel removed.

How on earth did u do that?

I can only get one in and thats with out a front wheel and theres no room left for passangers :huh:

I got a little go of my dads friends one on a air field one day it was awesome, handled like a go cart. i hated the driving position though it really did feel to low down.

Haha, You'd hate my mini then, seats basically on the floor pan.

Mini's are awsome. It's the most fun thing I have driven (compared to a few of my mates mobiles). Theres nothing lke going round a roundabout in a mini at break neck speeds (still within the speed limit). And after driving a clio that was the same MPG figure as the mini I instantley knew which I'd rather be driving round for the same money it was costing me. the clio was no fun at all, whereas you jump in the mini and its ready for a thrapesing round bends and country lanes.

1 problem, if you get big into the mini scene, its a very expensive mistake :(

Got a question for people aswell, im 17 and will be driving soon. My first car won't be for a while but would love a mini and i relise they dont work out cheap with things like rust and so on a common problem. Would you recomend a mini as a first car seeing as they can turn out more expensive or that i get another car and then get a mini in a couple of years when im out of college and have a decent job hopefully ect. I do want a mini at some point just dont no whether it would be a wise choice for a 1st car. Any thoughts?

Why not get a first car, then get a mini as a project, make a few years doing the work, by the times its on the road, any modifications you make will be cheap on your insurance and what not and you'll have the ini you wanted! It's what I'm doing anyway... Hope my theory about the insurance works. lol.

andy, they are a great first car. chea p to insure great to drive and bvery nippy and easily modifiec. Rust is amega problem but it will be with many first cars as they are more than likely to be old. golfs, polos, minis many vans ect are ridden with rust, but on the newer cars it is more hidden. It will be a lot more exspensive to replace pannels ect on other cars than minis. For example to replace a single mini floor pan will cost you around £12.00 you can then either take it to a welder and get it done for pretty cheap dependant of where you go or buy a welder and do it yourself and save yourself some money in the long run.

They are a pain in the arse with rust because you will constantly find more.... but its very cheap to sort compareed to other first cars about

Why not get a first car, then get a mini as a project, make a few years doing the work, by the times its on the road, any modifications you make will be cheap on your insurance and what not and you'll have the ini you wanted! It's what I'm doing anyway... Hope my theory about the insurance works. lol.

thats what i did with my first car. but got varried away with a VVC k-series conversion >_<

I would loved to do that so i could strip it all down and give it a good going over and minted but i dont really have the place to do that as theres no room at my house to do it really. To strip a car down and store it so it would more have to be a work in progress where i do it as i go long still driving it.

Thanx for the advice radfax.

no probs bud. to be honest i think it would be better doing it that way, as you wont get carried away and go overboard with mods as you wont want to take the car off of the road....

so would probably be best to do it that way ;)

My quote with HIC miniworld insurers was £360 tpft, with 1098cc stage 1, buckets seats, harnesses, disk brakes, and 12" wheels declared. Thats with NO NCB

My renewal quote, with a 1275 stage 1, all the same declared, worked out as just £210 tpft

Im 20 and had my licence almost 3 years

My quote with HIC miniworld insurers was £360 tpft, with 1098cc stage 1, buckets seats, harnesses, disk brakes, and 12" wheels declared. Thats with NO NCB

My renewal quote, with a 1275 stage 1, all the same declared, worked out as just £210 tpft

Im 20 and had my licence almost 3 years

Got to be at least 19 th get with them though