Grinds

robb_o

grinded my rear Mavic D521 (old school i know), went out and rode, after an hour, my NEWISH pads were completely worn down :-(

need to buy a new rim now.

just a word of caution i guess.

I know its probably cos i didnt have the 'correct' pads but still...

Just buy some pads that are designed for grinds?

Have you got a Magura or a V brake? - Either way, trials specific pads are available...

You could always sand down your rim so it's smooth again. I did that when I got my Zoo pads.

i'm using XTR v-brakes.

the pads were non-trials specific 'fibrax' ones.

this is where you all turn around and say 'well that was the problem then' :P

I think im just gonna order a new d521 (which is now ex717 or something) cos it was a bit egged anyway.

Bloody grinds! (N) I like tar myself, my pads and rim will last me a LONG time!

tar doesnt really work in wet, and myself riding at the coast alot doesnt work.

2 year my koolstops lasted me then i ground my front rim and and 2 rides after grind they disintegrated. my forks were temporarily powdered red from the pads

i'm using XTR v-brakes.

I think im just gonna order a new d521 (which is now ex717 or something) cos it was a bit egged anyway.

get some heatsink pads and backings, they will last.

or get some plazmatic crv's

his is where you all turn around and say 'well that was the problem then' :P

Well yea of course! my Heatsink reds (maggie not vee's) have been on harsh / medium grinds done my me on 2 different bikes over the period of 6+ months still got loads of meat left! just made them square again! so just shoot over to heatsinkbikes.co.uk and get some propper pads in CNC'ed backings you'll never look back again trust!

tar doesnt really work in wet, and myself riding at the coast alot doesnt work.

2 year my koolstops lasted me then i ground my front rim and and 2 rides after grind they disintegrated. my forks were temporarily powdered red from the pads

Same with Onza Shitrus pads, (like what I did there?), they are so crap its untrue, the compound just falls apart, My mates usd to piss themselves when we were ridng along, I pulled my front brake on to slow down and a big puff of yellow dust went everywhere.

i'm using XTR v-brakes.

Get some of these. ding ding

grinded my rear Mavic D521 (old school i know), went out and rode, after an hour, my NEWISH pads were completely worn down :-(

need to buy a new rim now.

just a word of caution i guess.

I know its probably cos i didnt have the 'correct' pads but still...

hi you wont need to buy a new rim the more you use your brake it wil wear down the grind.

from mitch.

i'm using XTR v-brakes.

Did you not think to check out what you need before doing a grind? Those pads were intended for non ground rims and are much softer for increased grip. Did you not think that a grind might wear them down even just a little bit quick?

To be honest... i'm suprised they lasted that long.

grind and CRV plaz you cant go wrong! smooth rims are shite!

pooooooop!

if smooth rims are shite, then y dont companies just make rims pre-grinded, oh wait i kno its because there not! grinds are fine if your loaded or sponsored but the -ive of a grind outweigh the +ive IMO, smmoth rim an echo pinks ***

if smooth rims are shite, then y dont companies just make rims pre-grinded, oh wait i kno its because there not! grinds are fine if your loaded or sponsored but the -ive of a grind outweigh the +ive IMO, smmoth rim an echo pinks ***

you can grind a good rim many times, it gives better performance in wet and dry and good pads (phat pads or plazzies) for example will last 6 months tops. Many companies give you the option to have a ground rim but as it depends on personal preference about the sort of grind, some do not. It is easier and less costly if a grind is done by the rider as the amount of grinding discs needed would probably far outweigh the profit.

smooth rims are shite, as the braking is far worse and wont work in wet or dust.

Edited by afroman

you can grind a good rim many times, it gives better performance in wet and dry and good pads (phat pads or plazzies) for example will last 6 months tops. Many companies give you the option to have a ground rim but as it depends on personal preference about the sort of grind, some do not. It is easier and less costly if a grind is done by the rider as the amount of grinding discs needed would probably far outweigh the profit.

smooth rims are shite, as the braking is far worse and wont work in wet or dust.

grinding has got stupid since it 1st started of years ago, then a grind was channels every cm to disperse water. my brakes work in the wet and dust without a grind and work immensely well in the dry aswell. its all a case of following the crowd it seems nowadays (and i know the benefits of a grind thanks (N) )

WST