Finally made the jump to Brakeless

Hotchy

The title says it all really.

Its so fun!

Its really weird as well, I don't know why but I feel like I'm better brakeless, I'm not sure if its cause everything's harder so I just feel better cause I can do easy stuff, or if it's because I've altered my riding style to basically the same as BMX, I've definitely got better at Manny's though.

But since making the jump, I've decided I need to make some changes to my Bike. And I'm going to tailor it towards moves which I find the most fun, which are Manny's, nose Manny's and nose bonks and nose bonk 180's and stuff.

I want it to glide off the floor like a BMX would, so I'm thinking higher rise bars, straight forks, and I'm also thinking a fatter front tyre, so I'm running two 24x2.4"

Possibly a shorter stem as well.

What do you guys suggest?

Cheers

Will

No joke - your riding when we rode together last was pretty mental! It's not like you sucked before but you'd definitely levelled up after making the switch :)

Getting the similar width tyres makes a big difference to how your bike carves/spins (for the better :P), so that'd be a good shout. Depending on the bar/stem you're running now too, switching to a higher/shorter setup is usually a good call. The BBB/System-Ex stems are relatively cheap but work really well so might be a good option to help mix it up without spending too much.

• Like 1

About what setup to use, I for some reason can't ride 70x35 stem, too fekken low even with TT HR and uncut steerer tube (45mm of spacers). Few times I've tried to set 70x35 and then every time I get back to 90x35 I CAME OCEANS.

Also there are only 5mm reach difference between 90x35 and 70x25 so it's not matters very much I guess.

Mark, what do you think about it? Most of stuff I do on two wheels, so it'll be pretty rational to choose 70x35, isn't it?

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

Riding trials is dangerous.

Riding trials without brakes is dangerous.

Riding trials without brakes is not more dangerous than riding trials with brakes.

Being scared is natural, because what you're doing is dangerous.

I'm pretty confident that people only find it more scary than riding trials with brakes because they've practised riding with brakes a lot and what they used to find scary no longer is.

If you stick with it for a month, I'm fairly sure you'll wonder what the hell you were so scared of when you go back and try things you did in the first week.

It's certainly not for everyone, but I strongly feel it's something everyone should try - even if it's just for a few rides ;)

• Like 1

Were they specifically related to it being brakeless though? Most BMXers I know who ride brakeless don't seem to get injured more often than BMXers with brakes, and it wasn't something I ever found.

Yeah a lot of coming off the back with manualing mainly and some of it because I'm going too fast not being able to judge speed and/or not being able to scrub off excess speed. Prehaps it's just being a retard! Edited by Scott Gibbs

Yeah a lot of coming off the back with manualing mainly and some of it because I'm going too fast not being able to judge speed and/or not being able to scrub off excess speed. Prehaps it's just being a retard!

I never fell while failing a manual. Every time I kinda jumpoff and start to run even on high speed.

By the way falling off may be fun and helpful experience, because falling is kinda practice and the more you fall the less chance to hurt yourself at future falls.

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

I'm getting paid august bank holiday, and my budget for the upgrade is going to be around £200, I think I'm definitely gonna get the Arcade Risers, I dunno what forks or stem to get though.

What do people think about gearing? I want a harder ratio so I can gain speed faster, but I don't want to lose the trialsyness (does that make sense?) Like I could quite happily have 25t-9t but then pedal kicks aren't happening, so what's the highest you think I could go to?

Edited by Hotchy

Anything below around 22:15 or 22:14 feels like you start losing the "snap" for trialsy stuff (like sidehops and static gaps and stuff), if that makes sense. You can still charge at stuff with those gear ratios though so they're a reasonable compromise. If you're still running the standard cranks/drivetrain from the Zoot, switching to a 12t rear sprocket will make it around the equivalent of 22:15 and will be a cheap way of doing it. A rear sprocket is only around £12 or so so you're not having to spend much to try it out. That plus a simple 90x35 forged stem like the BBB one would be about £35 max for the two of them, and you'd notice a fairly big difference straight away. With the Arcade bars too you'll be doing pretty well (Y)

If you're still running the standard Zoot forks, it might be worth keeping some money back to possibly upgrade them at some point too. They're really heavy compared to most other forks on the market, plus from memory they've got quite a lot of offset so switching them for some different forks would make front wheel moves a bit nicer, plus make your front end a load lighter too.

Yeah that makes sense, I'll try the 12t on the rear. The bikes pretty much stock, the pedals and front hub are the only things that have been changed. The forks I'm definitely changing, gonna get some echo urban 24's as I've heard they're pretty decent and they're cheapish

Depending on the year, you might not be able to run them with your standard headset. The Zoot's got an open bearing headset and the 2012-onwards Echo forks have a built-in crown race to run with a sealed bearing headset, so it wouldn't necessarily work too well.

Bum flaps.

Well the forks and bars are the two places I'm willing to sink the most money, and I'm pretty set on the arcade bars, so depending on what everything else costs I might see if I can get some inspired forks.

The Because Pro forks are £10 more than the Urbans but you could use your existing headset with them - they're not as strong as the Inspired forks so if you can stretch to the extra £16 it'd probably be worth it in the long run, but if not they'd still be a decent upgrade compared to your Zoot forks.

The title says it all really.

Its so fun!

Its really weird as well, I don't know why but I feel like I'm better brakeless, I'm not sure if its cause everything's harder so I just feel better cause I can do easy stuff, or if it's because I've altered my riding style to basically the same as BMX, I've definitely got better at Manny's though.

But since making the jump, I've decided I need to make some changes to my Bike. And I'm going to tailor it towards moves which I find the most fun, which are Manny's, nose Manny's and nose bonks and nose bonk 180's and stuff.

I want it to glide off the floor like a BMX would, so I'm thinking higher rise bars, straight forks, and I'm also thinking a fatter front tyre, so I'm running two 24x2.4"

Possibly a shorter stem as well.

What do you guys suggest?

Cheers

Will

What stem have you got atm?? And what bars ?

Are there any brakeless frames in the Trials world? I only ask because I don't like the idea of having useless bumps on my top tube, like the idea of having a perfectly smooth frame. I'm not gonna instantly buy it if there is one, just for future reference